[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - coaxial vs optical vs rca interconnects

Advanced search
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:31 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - coaxial vs optical vs rca interconnects

coaxial vs optical vs rca interconnects

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony MD/CD/SACD.

Moderator: jttar

by bill184 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:02 pm

been wondering about this for a while. I have some early cdps that have rca connections only. then starting with the 620, a co-ax connection was available. then toward the later 80s models, optical/Toslink connections showed up. In my TA-77esd manual it mentions that the coaxial connection provides better fidelity. I'd like some opinions from those who have actually used the various options. One problem that I have is finding compatible players and PAs. The TA-E77esd only has co-ax. I would have to use my TA-E1000 to get to optical. So, if at some point you experimented, please let me know. I also would like to know why one may be better than the other. For example, the signal is able to bypass x circuit or circuits which can contribute noise, etc. that type of explanation. thanks, Bill

PS looking for a CDP-707esd or an X7esd. the end of the Sony road for this mid-fi guy.
bill184
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by sterling1 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:20 am

I've experimented with it all. Here's the surprise. I just installed an Airport Express to get my computer audio to my home theatre control amp via WI-FI. I have not yet connected it to control amp using its Toslink output since I do not have the mini adapter which is what the Airport Express requires.
So, for now I have connected the AE to TA-E9000ES using RCA which uses the AE DAC. It sounds awesome. I am hearing more detail than I had earlier known going from computer to HT using a USB to S/PDIF converter. At any rate, I am assuming that the DAC in the AE may be better than the one in my control amp. My point is this, it is the DAC which I think is what will determine the sound you prefer. This will of course be in the player or in the control amp. Just experiment, but I would think if your player is an older model you may benefit from using it as a transport sending S/PDIF to control amp for processing there. On the other hand if the control amp is the older component you may find send signal from player via RCA is going to be better. Experiments will tell.
sterling1
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by bill184 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:19 pm

Thanks. I just ordered a few co-ax cables. I'm going to try that first because I want to stick with the E 77ESD PA for now. based on the results I will likely hook up the TA-E1000 which had optical connection options, and see how that sounds. Bill
bill184
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by RickeyM » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:57 am

Something you might want to try are the "Glass" fiber Toslink IC's. Their advantage is that they have a higher bandwidth than both plastic conductors and RCA co-ax cables. Many here on Agoraquest use them with great results.
RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by bill184 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:05 pm

Thanks for the idea. care to suggest a specific product? Bill
bill184
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by RickeyM » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:57 am

Try these

RickeyM
Sony Addict