[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - My "new" CDP-C87ES has arrived!

Advanced search
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:59 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - My "new" CDP-C87ES has arrived!

My "new" CDP-C87ES has arrived!

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony MD/CD/SACD.

Moderator: jttar

by sonyeslover » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:07 pm

See a trend here? Looks like I've fallen off the wagon again and purchased another ES component. Original box/all accessories/near mint. I never had a TOTL changer, thought I may as well try one.

Sony ES CDP-C87ES by mastercontrolmedia, on Flickr

Sony ES Threesome. ST-S707ES  TA-E80ES and CDP-C87ES by mastercontrolmedia, on Flickr
sonyeslover
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by David_S » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:26 pm

Very nice looking.  I am very impressed at how you are able to scope out those near perfect condition components.

TA- N77ES, E77ES, E80ES, E9000ES
STR- GX10ES, DA4ES, DA5700ES
DVP- NS999ES
HAP-S1, MDS-JA20ES, ST-S730ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by sonyeslover » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:46 am

Lot's of patience and luck!
sonyeslover
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by frahengeo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:28 pm

Being a strong believer of single disc units, I've stayed away from multi-disc systems.Very nice find. However, ever since I got my '7' carousel from a local source, I've been looking for an '8'. I believe that there are substantial differences between the '8' and '7' types, be it an 89ES or 87ES vs. a 79ES or 77ES.

Very nice find and very envious.

Enjoy!!
frahengeo
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by sonyeslover » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:34 pm

Yes, there are some major differences between the series. I had a CDP-C79ES and these are the differences I've noticed so far:

The 87ES has copper plated chassis, aluminum top plate, ceramic feet, aluminum carousel, 4 screw side panels, more rigid chassis and Serial Chain system.

The sound is very good, perhaps on the level of a CDP-X333ES, but I would say just shy of something like a CDP-X555ES which would have a better power supply and transport. Still good bang for the buck in todays market. You can get them for around $100-$125 in good shape. 
sonyeslover
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Johnnycanso » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:27 pm

Sonyeslover....thats a great find my friend!!! Can't see there been many those sitn "nos" in boxes too much anymore....great score!!!
As u can tell, i'm a bit of an ES player nut as well. I have my C79ES as my everyday player & my C89ES & more rare C801ES in rotation from time to time!
My minty C801ES was harder to find because they were never available up here in Canada... we got the trimmed down version C701ES, which was & is still a killer player!

Congrats on the minty C87ES and besides a belt or two here & there and sum light lithium grease it should give you many great years of service!!!

PS...be careful with the C87ES if it has the aluminum carousel as i found out the belts that run the carousel & give it that smooth rotation are no longer available from Sony. I had to mod my C89ES with a platter from a C79ES parts player that i had! :-(

-----------------
1979 PS-X60
1979 PS-X4(2)
1989 STR-GX10ES(2)
1989 CDP-608ESD(2)
1989 TA-F530ES
1989 CDP-X7ESD
1990 CDP-X33ES
1990 CDP-C75ES
1990 STR-D2020
1992 TC-RX79ES
1992 CDP-C79ES
1992 CDP-C89ES
1993 CDP-C801ES
1993 CDP-X202ES
1998 DVP-S7000

Johnnycanso
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by sonyeslover » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:26 pm

Thanks for the info. I noticed the belt that drives the carousel was streched on mine and would cause issues, so I used another belt I had lying around, it works, but it's not stock. Other than that, it works great. One day I am going to disassamble the carousel to clean it and lube it.
sonyeslover
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Johnnycanso » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:02 am

Sonyeslover:

there is a smaller belt that runs the motor for the carousel, but there's also a huge toothed belt that goes all the way around the aluminum platter!!! Thats what gives these 8 series players that quiet & smooth rotation! If that belt lets go, your aluminum carousel is rendered useless....thats why i modded my 89ES with a carousel out of a 79ES!! Just a heads up!

Johnnycanso
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by beels » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:51 pm

Hey Johnnycanso,

What you described happened to my 89ES last night! I am the original owner and rarely use it anymore, having switched over to a media server awhile ago. I was playing some new CDs and after a time, the platter stopped rotating. So I opened it up and, sure enough, the timing belt disintegrated in my hands.

Can you tell me how hard is it to mod the 89ES with a new platter? What is involved? Which units have compatible platters?

My 89ES is modded with ST fibre and coax digital outputs for use with an outboard D/A converter, so I am keen on keeping it working.

Thanks!
beels
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by Johnnycanso » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:43 am

beels:

i believe any of the ES 5 disc plastic carousels will fit your C89ES. All i did was drill out the center of a C79ES to accomadate the larger center screw that will be reused from the aluminum platter.
Best of luck with your restoration!!!
Drop me a line anytime & let us know how your making out!!

Johnnycanso
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

Return to MD/CD/SACD