[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - Amps/recievers into line conditioner/surge protector or straight into wall?

Advanced search
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:53 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Amps/recievers into line conditioner/surge protector or straight into wall?

Amps/recievers into line conditioner/surge protector or straight into wall?

Section where you can upload your Home Theater pictures and discuss them with other members.

Moderator: jttar

by dontsleep33 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:00 pm

What do you guys think of Plugging your amp/receivers directly into the wall outlet instead of a line filter or surge protector?I think the power supply is large enough to filter out any nonsense without the need for conditioning.Gaining all the available juice from the outlet without having to pass thrhough switches and wiring inside a protector or filter.I personally run my amps and recievers directly into the wall and hope there are no surges to destroy them.I need to install a protector in the breaker box.I think strips lose have too much resistance in general.I suppose a really nicely built one would suffice for ampplification though.
I'm still working on my now beta stage surge protector/line conditioner strip that will has heavy gauge wiring and no switch or fuse on it.When it's done I might use it for amps as well.
Any thought's?
-----------------
Sony BDP-S380
Sony TA-N55ES Analog Power Amp.
Sherwood RX-4109 2ch Analog Receiver
Athena 2 way AS-B1 6.5 inch Bookshelves
Auvio 3 way 8" 70watt Rms speakers
Monster AV-775G Power center
Everything Modified with New 15-20 amp power cords,plugs and

dontsleep33
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by jttar » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:47 pm

Hey dontsleep,

I think ideally I would connect my amps and receivers directly to the outlet but I can not trust my power company. I have suffered loss of components due to surges and brown outs. All of my components are protected by either my Panamax conditioner or my VansEvers Clean Line power conditioner.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by dontsleep33 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:33 am

You have lost good stuff already?My power company has to rank about last on the list so perhaps I'll change my practice.One brownout had something whistling in the house.Oh yes my Athena speakers were whistling even with the Sony amp off one time.Then the power would jump back on to full power or more for all I know.I suffered no losses but it was kind of scary.We also have incredible lightning storms here.I have Protection I will use it but you know I listened yesterday to the difference between straight in and filtered.Straight in made the baby!
dontsleep33
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Skytrooper » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:17 am

I prefer going straight to the wall outlet. I have a Tripp Lite 6 outlet protector mounted on the back of my equipment stand only because of the amount of outlets I need. My sub goes straight to the wall receptacle. I have doubts about some of the claims made by the manufacturers of these devices.
Skytrooper
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by dontsleep33 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:28 am

On 2011-06-11 08:17, Skytrooper wrote:
I prefer going straight to the wall outlet. I have a Tripp Lite 6 outlet protector mounted on the back of my equipment stand only because of the amount of outlets I need. My sub goes straight to the wall receptacle. I have doubts about some of the claims made by the manufacturers of these devices.

Doubts of Surge protector strips?Well yes it is true that equipment connected to these "mov" style protectors have been destroyed along with the strip but more often than not they will help keep a longer life.The"mov's" degrade over time and after about two years should definitely be replaced.Some prefer one year.They can take hundreds of little little surges everyday or take one real big one and burn out."Series mode protection" uses a different approach and does not rot away after two years.More expensive and less vendors but some swear by it.Check out the Surge-X website for one.Used in pro audio around the world.  

dontsleep33
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:02 pm

The Brick Wall Series Mode Surge Protectors that I use not only protection that has never failed, but their multiple frequency filtering allows them to provide a much improved sound quality for the Audio equipment that uses them.

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

Return to Home Theater Gallery