[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - Behringer Amp Mod

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:46 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Behringer Amp Mod

Behringer Amp Mod

This forum is where you can give tips or talk about building your own stuff

Moderator: jttar

by RickeyM » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:44 pm

I'm still using the Carol wire for a power cord and I'm going to use a nylon bushing to pass the wire through.
It looks like one of these: firewall bushing

If you get them from Percy Audio, they're about half the Parts Express price. The binding posts are also from Parts Express, part number
091-630

-----------------
Graduate of Sony University, class of '94.

Support your local S.P.C.A.

If older is better, I must be approaching  magnificence!

RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Elderion » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:23 am

RickeyM, thanks for the information.

I checked my fan flow and it's indeed pulling air from the front to the rear.  I have the fan seated inside the chassis like the original.  Binding posts, power cord and capacitors shunt is something I like to do next on the EP2500.  I have the capacitors, but still looking into power cord and binding posts options.

Eld
Elderion
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Elderion » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:17 pm

Hi guys,

Just wanted to give an update on some of my mods for the Behringer EP2500.  The Behringer is used only to drive my subwoofer (<80hz) so I tried to keep the cost down as much as I can.  

One of my first mod was replacing the power cord.  I followed Rickey lead here and used Carol 10 gauge cords with Hubbel hospital grade plug at one end.  At the other end, I directly solder the power cord to the transformer.  I found some standard non-magnetic electrical bushing at Lowe's to support the cable at the chassis/interface.  These worked great and you can get three in package for a few bucks.  I replaced the stock screws (magnetic) with some brass ones.  

Next up was replacing the stock binding posts.  I used standard PartsExpress binding posts that I had leftover when I built my subwoofer.  These are a step-up from the stock posts, but one can definitely do much better.  I put some filter caps at the post leads to help alleviate any amp noise (might not want to do this if it's a full range application).  These are the orange Vishay caps in the picture above.  Here is a picture of the posts and cords from the back.

The latest mod was to replace one of the standard 1/4" socket with a Vampire RCA socket and Mogami wires.  Since the 1/4" socket is a balanced connection, I tried to minimize the ground noise by adding a spare 100K resistor from the ground lead to neutral lead.

Some feedback:

I feel that all the upgrades have really helped my subwoofer.  The sub definitely has more punch and body.  The ground noise is almost completely gone at full gain setting.  Fan noise is extremely low.

I had to adjust my receiver subwoofer out setting after each power upgrades to bring it back in line with the main speakers.  I reduced the setting by 3 dB with the power cord and binding post mods.  I had to reduce the setting another 3 dB with the RCA upgrade.  The Mogami wires were suggested by Maxx and really are worth it.  The Vampire copper RCA is very nice too and relatively affordable.

Thank you all for helping me with my learning curve and encouraging me along.  If anyone has any recommendations or questions, please let me know.

Eld

Elderion
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Maxxwire » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:17 pm

On 2009-04-01 18:17, Elderion wrote:

I reduced the setting by 3 dB with the power cord and binding post mods.  I had to reduce the setting another 3 dB with the RCA upgrade.  The Mogami wires were suggested by Maxx and really are worth it.  

Eld

Your success is great news! Actually you have DAN WRIGHT to thank for the Mogami wiring suggestion it was he who spent so much time listening to different wires deciding which one to use for his ModWright Instruments LS 36.5 Referece Preamp.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by cliffdodger » Tue May 19, 2009 11:27 am

Now you've got me curious since I own an EP1500 and am currently using it to run a single Yorkville E15.  I hope to get another E15 when I upgrade to the EP2500.  Apart from the fun of the hobby do you think all your mods are worth the effort in the end for the sound difference you're getting?  I'm finding that off the shelf the EP series are a nice sturdy amp with a great $/watt ratio compared to other amps.

cliffdodger
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by Maxxwire » Fri May 29, 2009 1:01 pm

cliffdodger- Well, its been 10 days and Rickey hasn't replied so I guess I will chime in. Although I don't own an EP 1500 I can state that without a doubt that upgrading the original 16 AWG lamp cord which my Power Amp used with a 10 AWG .999999 Pure Copper Silverfuse power cord and terminating it with a Furutech FI-25mG plug which has blades and parts that are made of Ultra Pure Ohno Continuous Cast Copper which has as little as 1 grain per 750 feet and is often refered to as Zero Grain Copper has improved the Power Amp's performance in the most fundamental way possible by radically improving the way the peak AC power is delivered to it.

Although I enjoyed doing this Mod along with upgrading the OEM RCA Sockets with gold plated Pure Copper most of all I enjoyed the incredible improvements in sound quality that only these 101% IACS high purity Copper upgrades can bring.

~Maxx~

Explore The New Sony MaxxPix

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by RickeyM » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:34 am

Hi guys. I've missed the last few posts to this threat 'till now. I've recently moved so getting ready for that, the actual move and getting settled in has kept me pretty busy.

The mods I did on my EP1500 have improved the SQ so IMO they were worth doing. At the time the Behringer was powering my Maggie MMG's so any SQ improvements were a plus. What I'd like to do is install a better plug on the powercord and install RCA jacks like Elderion has done.

I also did a cap & Op-amp upgrade on the Behringer but it wouldn't power up when I was done. I think I've traced the prob down to a lifted cirduit board trace. I've just got to take the time to re-solder in the 8 PS caps and affect a repair. With the audio grade Op-amps and Nichicon caps in there, I'm real eager to see how she sounds. Good or bad, you guy's will be the first to know.
RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

Previous

Return to Do It Yourself Home Theater