[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - HDMI connection from Vaio FW190 to Bravia 26" LCD

Advanced search
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:44 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - HDMI connection from Vaio FW190 to Bravia 26" LCD

HDMI connection from Vaio FW190 to Bravia 26" LCD

This forum is geared towards fine-tuning your Sony computer settings. If you have troubles or just simple questions about optimizing your computer settings, check out this forum. Feel free to add your suggestions to the manuals..

Moderator: jttar

by tylerrad » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:19 am

It was suggested that I repost a thread that I had previously publishedin the 'Television Troubleshooting' section, here. It isn't quiteurgent, but the sooner I remedy the problem, the better:

Both my Vaio FW190 and my Bravia LCD TVare brand new. I purchased the FW190 specifically to play Blu-ray discsin my dorm.

Iset the TV up, plugged the HDMI cable into the "HDMI 1" port on the backof the TV and into the laptop. A box came up on the laptop askinghow Iwanted to configure the display, I clicked "External Only", whichturnedoff my laptop's monitor. I set the TV to HDMI 1 expecting to seemylaptop's display, but I saw nothing save a blank, green screen.

I know the laptop and HDMI cable are functional as I'm able to get picture on my Sony CRT HDTV.

How can I fix this error?

At the very least, how can I change the display setting to allow my laptop monitor to be on while it's plugged into the TV?

I've tried both HDMI ports, I've tried changing resolution, changing refresh rates, nothing works.
tylerrad
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by NiteHawk » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:18 pm

I'm having difficulty finding the PDF manual for your laptop, however, you can give this link a try and see if it resolves the issue connecting your LCD.       
NiteHawk
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by tylerrad » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:42 pm

I have not been able to look at my laptop's manual either as the computer - confoundingly -  was not shipped with one.

Regardingthe link, it seems my problem exists outside the parameters detailed atsaid web address. However, I do absolutely appreciate the aid. I'vefollowed the steps detailed there already and failed.

I'vee-mailed sony. It is unlikely they'll be able to provide assistance asI've already talked on the phone with two representatives, neither ofwhich was at all helpful, but I'm still optimistic that the problem canbe resolved.
tylerrad
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by JohnE52T » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:09 am

Hi tylerrad, this is John E52T from Sony.

First to access the user guide try opening the "VAIO Help and Support" icon from your desktop if its not there click on Help and Support from the Start Menu. Once open click on "Manuals and specifications" and then click on the VAIO User Guide.

Next about the HDMI problem. Your VGN-FW190 does it have an ATI graphics chipset or the Intel graphics? Also what is the model of your Bravia? If you press both the blue Function key near the bottom left of the kbd which is label FN and F7 at the same time to select VGA + HDMI what happens?

JohnE52T
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by tylerrad » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:47 am

Indeed, I have been using the Help and Support guide frequently; it acts in lieu of a hard copy manual. I read all entries regarding HDMI and connecting to external monitors. They were informative, yet holistically useless as my problem seems to exist outside of the limits of traditional Sony help and support.

I have the Intel, not ATI card. (I should've spent the extra fifty for it.) The Bravia TV is KDL26M4000.

Pressing FN+F7 provides me with a small menu with the options "LCD only" and "Setup".
tylerrad
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by JohnE52T » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:52 pm

tylerrad, try restarting the computer with the HDMI cable plugged into the computer and TV. Once it has restarted try FN + F7 again. There should be an option for 4 options one of those options should be LCD + HDMI. See if you can get to this option.
JohnE52T
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by tylerrad » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:11 pm

Thank you for your advice friend. Just about 40 minutes ago, before I received your response, I finished chatting with an obnoxious and foolish Sony eSupport person and was eventually able to work things out.

I had to change settings in the Display Settings segment of Appearance and Personalization (accessible via Personalize on the 'right-click' desktop menu or in Control Panel). I checked the box for "Extend the desktop onto this monitor" under the config menu for monitor 2.

Then, yes, I used Fn+F7 to toggle between monitors.

Sadly, the picture does not fill my television's screen (pillarboxed and letterboxed) and the image is oversaturated and generally unsuitable. The stupid eSupport guy just kept telling me to reinstall my video card driver.

Pretty lame
tylerrad
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by NiteHawk » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:22 pm

Since the native resolution on your KDL26M4000 is 1366 x 768, make sure your screen resolution in the display properties panel is set to 1360 x 768 on your laptop.  Since drivers for graphics cards (integrated/standalone) are updated on a regular basis, a more recent one might be available that resolves your image quality issues.       
NiteHawk
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by JohnE52T » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:54 pm

Sorry to hear about the poor experience there with the chat support. Hopefully you can select the native resolution of the TV so it looks clear and fills the screen. If that does not work for you try the following.
Go to the Start Menu.
Click on All Programs.
Look for VAIO Control Center and open it.
Expand Display then select.
HDMI Resolution Setting Configuration and select 720p.

Hope either NiteHawk's suggestion or mine can resolve this problem for you.

John E52T from Sony
JohnE52T
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by tylerrad » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:01 pm

I can't set the exact resolution of the TV; the computer will not allow it. The HDMI settings are to 720p already and the image on the TV is far from satisfactory. Not sure how to proceed
tylerrad
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

Next

Return to Computers Configuration