[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - Sony STR-DB940 display 96khz?

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:23 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Sony STR-DB940 display 96khz?

Sony STR-DB940 display 96khz?

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables.

Moderator: jttar

by kb29r » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:37 pm

Can the 940 output and display 96khz. I have only ever seen it display up to 48khz, it suggests it in the manual

Ken
kb29r
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by Maxxwire » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:02 pm

The DB940 is limited by the sampling rate of the signal it receives and unfortunately most Players of that era had their Digital outputs restricted and downsampled and to 48k hz.

If your owners manual says that the DB940 will accept and display a 24/96 Digital bitstream then it will and all you need is a Player that is capable of supplying it.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by kb29r » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:41 am

Thanks for the response Max,

According to the 940 Manual, The DVD/LD In OPTICAL and COAXIAL jacks are compatible with 96khz. My player (Pioneer DVD 600AV) can output 96khz.

I have a few 96/24 discs and the Sony display still reads 48khz - Has anyone else seen the 930/940 display any higher than 48khz??

Ken
kb29r
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by Maxxwire » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:35 am

Ken- I have had my DB930 for almost 8 years and I have never seen it display a 96k hz reading on the display, but then I have a Sony S530D DVD Player which is restricted to a maximum of 48k hz output.

It looks as though you have proven that the DB940 is limited to the same sampling frequency restrictions that the Players of the day were limited to with Pioneer being the exception with an unrestricted 96k hz output capability.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by AaronB » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:34 am

Quote:
Has anyone else seen the 930/940 display any higher than 48khz??

Yes, I use 96 kHz often with my DB930. This is from a DVD-Audio player via coaxial S/PDIF. The player is a Pioneer DVP-588 I think. Note that some (not all) DVD-Audio discs have a flag which tells the player to limit the digital output to 48 kHz. The ones I have tried do not have this flag set and I can get 96 kHz (2 channel only of course!). One downside is that only the "2 Channel" soundfield can be used, which means no subwoofer, but you do get to use the EQ and Bass boost.

An example of a DVD-Audio disc that will allow output of 96 kHz stereo audio is Alicia Keys' Songs in A Minor.

AaronB
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by kb29r » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:13 am

On 2007-10-09 13:34, AaronB wrote:
Quote:
Has anyone else seen the 930/940 display any higher than 48khz??

Yes, I use 96 kHz often with my DB930. This is from a DVD-Audio player via coaxial S/PDIF. The player is a Pioneer DVP-588 I think. Note that some (not all) DVD-Audio discs have a flag which tells the player to limit the digital output to 48 kHz. The ones I have tried do not have this flag set and I can get 96 kHz (2 channel only of course!). One downside is that only the "2 Channel" soundfield can be used, which means no subwoofer, but you do get to use the EQ and Bass boost.

An example of a DVD-Audio disc that will allow output of 96 kHz stereo audio is Alicia Keys' Songs in A Minor.

Thanks for the response - however!

IIRC, the 930 and definately my 940, if you select 2 channel you will not get the khz read out - you only get ''2 channel'' for a few seconds then the ''DVD/LD PLAYER''. Even when I set my Pioneer dvd 600 to PCM stereo, i do not get a reading - only in the auto format decode do I get a reading - and that has only registered 48khz max

I have purchased some more discs that are 24/96 and am waiting for delivery - My question is if at the moment in the 2 channel mode it does not read out the khz mode even for 48khz - will it display if the disc is 96khz??

Ken
kb29r
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by Maxxwire » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:15 am

On 2007-10-05 01:02, Maxxwire wrote: If your owners manual says that the DB940 will accept and display a 24/96 Digital bitstream then it will and all you need is a Player that is capable of supplying it.

kb29r- Pioneer DVD Players with a 24/96 Digital output were very popular a few years back. You could probably pick one up on the used market for a very reasonable price these days.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by kb29r » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:04 pm

On 2007-10-09 15:15, Maxxwire wrote:

On 2007-10-05 01:02, Maxxwire wrote: If your owners manual says that the DB940 will accept and display a 24/96 Digital bitstream then it will and all you need is a Player that is capable of supplying it.

kb29r- Pioneer DVD Players with a 24/96 Digital output were very popular a few years back. You could probably pick one up on the used market for a very reasonable price these days.

~Maxx~

Hi Max,

My Pioneer DVD 600AV Player is a DVD-Audio/SACD player and can output 96khz out of the Digital outs.

Incidentally, in regards to AaronB's post can you display a khz output reading in 2 channel mode on your 930?

Ken
kb29r
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by SPCOOLIN » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:20 pm

Incidentally, in regards to AaronB's post can you display a khz output reading in 2 channel mode on your 930?

Ken

Hi Ken ~

I bought a DB930 for a friend and set it up...I still get to play with it once in awhile, and I can't really answer your question directly at this point (since I'm not over there)....But....

With my DA3/5's (which are very similar) At any time, with any sound field (including 2ch)
You can use the left arrow button on the remote (or the front panel) to scroll the display, It gives you all sorts of info about the material it is decoding...AC3/DTS/DD/2ch/digital/analog/PCM etc...and at what rate...
You can do this at any time you like...

Can't say for sure that it works with the DB930/940...but...
Give it a try  

Steve~
SPCOOLIN
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by Maxxwire » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:25 pm

On 2007-10-09 16:04, kb29r wrote:

Hi Max,

Ken

Ken- Yes, my DB930 displays the sampling frequency of the incoming PCM signal in terms of khz when in 2 channel mode.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

Next

Return to Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables