[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - Classic Speakers

Advanced search
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:34 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Classic Speakers

Classic Speakers

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables.

Moderator: jttar

by Maxxwire » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:40 am

I have always found the design and workmanship of the 15" 3-way 1957 Model JBL Paragon Speakers facinating.

Evidently others do too as these speakers with their unique design and fine craftamanship were in the JBL lineup from 1957 to 1983. They originally sold for $6,000 and now fetch $20,000 and more almost 50 years later.

Most of the classic of 15" JBL Woofers I have seen have had 16 ohm voice coils with high gauss AlNiCo magnets inside them. Actually the 15" D-101 was the first AlNiCo speaker James B Lansing designed back in 1946 using some AlNiCo he has gotten from a secret military project that Altec-Lansing was working during WW||.

I could only imagine how sweet, rich and ultra detailed the Digital amplification of the Sony DA9000ES would sound driving them along with their compression driver midrange horns and 075 Tweeters in the unique cabinet design of the JBL Paragon as the future meets the past!
Do you have a favorite classic speaker design to share with the rest of us?

~Maxx~

A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by jehill » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:59 am

Very interesting, Maxx!  Is the 15" woofer in the center of the cabinet with the sound coming out of the two sides?
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by Maxxwire » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:48 pm

John- There is a 15" (probably a JBL D-130 AlNiCo) speaker on each end of the cabinet along with a midrange and a treble Horn. The sound from the horns is directed toward the center and reflected off of the rounded American Walnut wood in the center which gives th JBL Paragon its unique and enduringly popular sound.
~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by jehill » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:44 am

That certainly is unique!
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by rb » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:35 am

Now that is cool.  I've never seen anything like them before.
rb
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Maxxwire » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:57 am

This is a diagram of the 1957 JBL D-44000 Paragon which is just one example of fine engineering from our rich and well crafted Audio past.

~Maxx~

A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!
One Half of My A/V System

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by mykyll2727 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:02 pm

Maxx_That is really cool. Thanks for the pic and diagram. I'd never seen or heard of them before. There've been some really amazing/awesome speaker designs over the years. AFA vintage designs go I'm still pretty fond of the Klipschorns._MMMike
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by Maxxwire » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:53 pm

On 2006-07-06 17:02, mykyll2727 wrote: AFA vintage designs go I'm still pretty fond of the Klipschorns.

MMMike- Fortunately you can pick up a mint pair of Klipschorns for around $1,500-$2,000.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by opimax » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:27 am

When I picked ip my 250 TIs from Tenn I was able to quickly listen to this owners Khorns. He uses some very epensive tube stuff and he was using 2 channel only. It was nice, loud and clean but no bass. He did't corner load them and used music originally made in the 40s (still can't figure his test choice)so I could'n tell what they should sound like. What I heard was nice b ut5it just wasn't a good test for me.

Using the same source we very briefly hooked up each JBL speaker. I noted more bass but I was surprised on how much more effeciant they were. i knew they were mre butI didn't think that much.

My listening room doesn't have enough corner so I never really consdered them. And since they would be part of a HT the corners would point them poorly. My room is rectangle they would be in the closer together corner where the axis would cross in front of the seating area.

JBL has some famous older speaker called the Hartsfield which are corner loaded speakers also

opi
opimax
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by mykyll2727 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:55 am

Maxx_I didn't realise they could be had that cheap. Cheap being a relative term since I paid < $1k for my ten SS-K90EDs. _MMMike

opi_I haven't had the opportunity to hear the Klipschorns recently. I've only seen and heard them MANY, MANY years ago. Thanks for the review._MMMike
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

Next

Return to Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables