[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Comparison between Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player ans BDP S550

Advanced search
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:57 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Comparison between Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player ans BDP S550

Comparison between Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player ans BDP S550

This forum addresses questions on Blu-Ray

Moderator: jttar

by maverick11359 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:53 pm

Hi guys , Had a couple of interesting days rostered off from work which gave me time to watch and compare my two blu-ray players. My interest was tweaked when I discovered my new little BDPs5100 is DSD (SACD) compatible .  My test parameters are simple,same HDMI cable connections and same power connections ,both have identical setup parameters internally and connected to my Integra dhc80.3 processor .Note  the BDPs550 has a “ATT” on audio setup which was turned off for comparison.

First comparison , picture(video),  I played fourmovies Prometheus , Star trek Into Darkness, Total Recall and Harry PotterChamber of secrets swopping back to the S550 after watching each movie in theirentirety on the new S5100 and then after completion of each jumping back tocertain individual scenes on the BDP S550  ..My personal conclusion the BDP S5100 has a slightly sharper cleaner picture with less grain or artefact effect and S5100’swas possibly  slightly brighter and more vividin colour tone. I saw  no noticable difference in motion both refresh rates seem to be the same (very smooth) . So overall the new S5100 would just get the nod over the older S550 picture wise. Both excellent pictures though.

Next comparison has to be Audio , throughout all four movies I noticed the vocals clean and very dominant on the BDP S5100 , but when going back to the S550 there was a noticeable difference. So much that I kept “playing” going back and fourth for a couple of hours . The S5100 is definitely elevated in upper midrange compared to the 550,there’s a difference of around 3db in overall volume between the two players. Sibilance is slightly more noticeable on the s5100 and vocals particularly female vocals sound louder . In Comparison the s550 has more definition inlower mid and bass, so it has much more impact with explosions and sub basseffect. The 550’s mid and higher registers is more velvet in texture and morelife like than the S5100..

Conclusion The S5100 has  slightly better picture quality but the S550  leaves it for dead in the Audio department via HDMI. The little S5100 has gone back to the family room to run the plasma TV.. Where it does a great job..

P.S I did a comparison with the DSD(SACD) . My Denon 3910 to the Sony BDP S5100, two totally different audio responses not really a fair comparison , a bit like comparing oranges and apples.

Mav
-----------------
There are no wrong choices in life just easy and hard paths to be taken.We live by these decisions and they make us who we are today.

maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by jehill » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:03 am

On 2014-04-04 02:53, maverick11359 wrote:

P.S I did a comparison with the DSD(SACD) . My Denon 3910 to the Sony BDP S5100, two totally different audio responses not really a fair comparison , a bit like comparing oranges and apples.

I assume that means that the Denon 3910 was vastly superior?

I am still using my BDP-S550 with an HDMI connection to my TV and an optical connection from my TV to my ancient AVD-C70ES SACD/DVD receiver.  The reason for connecting the BDP-S550 to my TV is that my AVD-C70ES only has optical inputs, only one of which will accept DD 5.1 audio.

I had thought about getting a BDP-S5100 or equivalent when my AVD-C70ES dies, which probably won't be for a while.  I have a second AVD-C70ES that I have scavenged for parts, including LED disc indicating lights and the disc player.  Based on what you are saying, I should avoid it if I am looking for quality sound.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by maverick11359 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:43 pm

G'day John, personally I only purchased the S5100 for the family room TV so sound was not my first thought after bringing it home. There is a noticable audio difference between the two players via HDMI .Can't work out why Sony didn't keep ATT speech or filter like in the S550, that would probably bring them some what closer together,but it still wouldn't help the lower register impact that i previously mentioned. They are so cheap in the States though I've seen them advertised fror less than $100 bucks. Hard to pass up.. Good picture and sounds fine through the Plasma tv in my family room ..Mav.
maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

Return to Blu-Ray