[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - BDP-S780/BDP-S790

Advanced search
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:53 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - BDP-S780/BDP-S790

BDP-S780/BDP-S790

This forum addresses questions on Blu-Ray

Moderator: jttar

by David_S » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:05 pm

I now have one of each models.  They are one year apart, the S780 is last year's model & the S790 is this year's model.  They are at the same position in the model line but have a number of differences.

Front view.  BDP-S790 on top.

Both players have front & rear USB connectors.

Top view.  BDP-S790 on top.

The BDP-S780 has 4 switches near the bottom of the front panel.  The BDP-S790 has 4 sensing spots near the front of the top cover (I/O label at left end & 3 lighted patterns near the right end).

BDP-S790 on top.  The finish of both models easily show dust specks.

BDP-S790 on top.

Only the BDP-S780 has component video out & a Control S jack.  The S790 has 2 HDMI out vs 1 for the S780.  Remaining rear connections are identical for both players.
-----------------
TA- E77ES E1000ESD N77ES F555ES
RM- AV3000 AX1400 (2)AX4000
SDP-EP9ES, ST-S730ES
STR-DA4ES, STR-DA3100ES
DVP- (3)NS999ES NS3100ES CX777ES
CDP-X303ES, CDP-M555ES
MDS-JA20ES, TC-K717ES, DTC-690
Pioneer CLD-3090 Laserdisc

TA- N77ES, E77ES, E80ES, E9000ES
STR- GX10ES, DA4ES, DA5700ES
DVP- NS999ES
HAP-S1, MDS-JA20ES, ST-S730ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by David_S » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:56 pm

I purchased the BDP-S780 locally at a Sony store.  The BDP-S790 was purchased online from the US.

I have had no problems with the BDP-S780 but reported in the Sony STR-DA5700ES A/V Receiver Review thread that I had problems getting the BDP-S790.

The S790 player was returned to the sender because of an address error.  The seller quickly sent a replacement.  The replacement was a new player in the original factory sealed box.  The disc drawer would not open when I powered the BDP-S790 player & pressed the "Open" sensor.  I already had enough delays do to the postal error & decided to open the player and see if I could fix the problem, despite risking voiding the warranty.

This picture shows the piece that magnetically clamps the disc to the motor.  The magnetic clamp is dislodged from it's holder & permantly attached to the motor.  This prevents the drawer from opening.

Magnetic clamp removed from motor.

Magnetic clamp back in it's holder.

The BDP-S790 player is back together & working properly.
-----------------
TA- E77ES E1000ESD N77ES F555ES
RM- AV3000 AX1400 (2)AX4000
SDP-EP9ES, ST-S730ES
STR-DA4ES, STR-DA3100ES
DVP- (3)NS999ES NS3100ES CX777ES
CDP-X303ES, CDP-M555ES
MDS-JA20ES, TC-K717ES, DTC-690
Pioneer CLD-3090 Laserdisc

DVP- NS999ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:50 pm

On 2012-08-16 01:05, David_S wrote:

Both players have front & rear USB connectors.

Have you had a chance yet to run PCM, DTS or Dolby Digital Audio through the USB inputs of your Sony BD Players?

Sony H-9 MaxxPix

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by mykyll2727 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:11 am

David_S_I'm glad you found and fixed the problem. Great Pics!!! Thanks for sharing! You must give use your comparative performance impressions._mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by HTinParadise » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:59 pm

Hello David_S,

Could you please kindly detail for me as to how you opened the case of your BDPS790?

I tried to open mine to change out the fuse; however I couldn't figure out how to remove the plastic top and sides?

Thank you in advance,

HTinP
HTinParadise
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by David_S » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:33 pm

On 2012-12-17 21:59, HTinParadise wrote:
Hello David_S,

Could you please kindly detail for me as to how you opened the case of your BDPS790?

I tried to open mine to change out the fuse; however I couldn't figure out how to remove the plastic top and sides?

Thank you in advance,

HTinP

Are you sure it is the fuse & is your BDP-S790 out of warranty?

The S790 was a challenge to open up.  It was not straight forward to open & I will have to re-open mine to be able to describe how to take the case off.  Photos would also help.  That is a task best suited for the weekend when I have more time.

DVP- NS999ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by HTinParadise » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:44 am

Hello again David_S,

The player was purchased in the USA and has no warrany here, so, it is just far easier to open and check the fuse than the alternative.  

Either way, I could not figure out how to open the unit without seemingly doing damage, I would really appreciate it if you could post the pictures and procedure!

Regards,

HTinP
HTinParadise
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by David_S » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:57 am

Here is the disassembly information for the BDP-S790.

Remember static grounding when you work in it.

1.  Turn player upside down.

2.  Remove screw at back of plastic curved end panel.

3.  Slide end panel straight back about 1/8" (not shown in picture after panel was slid back).

4.  Lift back end of panel up and sideways away from player to remove.

5.  Repeat for tor the other curved panel.

6.  Tabs near the front of the top cover at both sides must be pushed in about 1/8" at the same time.

7.  Slide player backwards about 1/8" relative to plastic top cover.

8.  Carefully turn player & top cover over without letting them separate.  NOTE:  there are 2 ribbon cables attached to the top cover near the front edge.

9.  Lift the back edge of the top cover & pivot the top cover upside down in front of the player.

10.  Remove 8 screws holding thw top metal shield.  Lift shiels straight up to remove.

11.  Remove plastic shield from above power supply board.

12.  Fuse F101 is under the power cord at the back of the power upply board.

HTinParadise-I hope this helps you.  Please let us know if you are able to solve the problem with your BDP-S790.

I thought that I should have taken an overall gut shot of the BDP-S790 when I previously had it open for repairs.  This gave me an excuse to open it up for photos.

DVP- NS999ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

Return to Blu-Ray