[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Poor quality blu-ray movie

Advanced search
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:21 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Poor quality blu-ray movie

Poor quality blu-ray movie

This forum addresses questions on Blu-Ray

Moderator: jttar

by mykyll2727 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:34 pm

Mav_Thanks for the heads up on the Benson CD. Ironically I was looking at it just the other day. I'll put it on my "to get list".

I had forgotten the Emotiva wasn't out yet. Duh!! That would explain why I haven't heard it yet. This brain of mine is getting so old. Yet, great minds think alike. My new speakers are tri-ampable and I'm seriously considering using my 6ch Verastarr SSA644 power amp solely to power them. Then I would add an Emotiva XPA-5 to power the rest of the speakers. One of the things on the side of my getting an inexpensive AVR with preouts was in case, heaven forbid, for some reason I needed the amp repaired I could fall back on the AVR to power the speakers. Having a second power amp in the system would take that away and if and when I replace the AVR I can look to a pre/pro instead.

AFA the Marantz AV7005 goes I've never had the chance to really test one out but I liked what I heard. The vast majority of owners seem to very high on it though. I have a Marantz SR5005 that Outlaw Audio was selling with full warranty and their support for $500 NIB A stock. I knew I couldn't do any better at that price. If my unit is any indication the 7005 should be an outstanding performer. I'm still absolutely stunned at how good it sounds in pure direct mode.

I have mixed feelings about the Onkyos. The MSRP of the PR-SC5008 is $2200 here and has Audyssey XT32 which from what many users have said is the cat's meow for auto calibration. Especially if using 2 subwoofers. But like you said many users have reported issues with it. Also customer support is notoriously lousy. Another thing for the US is that there is a newer SC5009 out everywhere but here. And given how long it's been out it doesn't look like it will be here. I don't know how much if any better the 5009 is than the 5008.

The AV7005 is $1600 MSRP here. For me XT32 is not worth $600. I have Audyssey on my AVR and have never used it. I haven't even unpacked the mic. I guess it depends on what features you want and need._mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by mykyll2727 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:37 pm

Mav_BTW I didn't know RNs went thru that much schooling. It gives even more respect for them than I had before and I had alot. Now doctors, well we won't get into that._mykl

mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by maverick11359 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:22 am

On 2012-08-17 02:37, mykyll2727 wrote:
Mav_BTW I didn't know RNs went thru that much schooling. It gives even more respect for them than I had before and I had alot. Now doctors, well we won't get into that._mykl

Myky, I gained a lot of respect  for RN's over the last 8 months ,seeing how I've done 15 units in my course and  the RN's require 25 units. My assignments were minimum of 500 and 1000 word assignments they do  minimum  5000 word essay assignments ...Plus  I had no idea after a long 1 and 1/2 hour interview ,remembering I haven't been interviewed for for employment  for 32 years , Ouch ! that I had to sit through 8 hours of orientation at the facility filling in a books worth of information answering questions all for their legal requirements. My god it was along day luckily I had to sit through it with a lovely RN who was also starting a new job there, she just happened to be my new boss.  I had no idea , untill I asked her do you go through this every time you change jobs . She said every time, plus her Job interviews  last 2 hours.

Its interesting how the other half lives .

Mav'
maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by mykyll2727 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:06 am

On 2012-08-17 04:22, maverick11359 wrote:

On 2012-08-17 02:37, mykyll2727 wrote:

Myky, I gained a lot of respect  for RN's over the last 8 months ,seeing how I've done 15 units in my course and  the RN's require 25 units. My assignments were minimum of 500 and 1000 word assignments they do  minimum  5000 word essay assignments ...Plus  I had no idea after a long 1 and 1/2 hour interview ,remembering I haven't been interviewed for for employment  for 32 years , Ouch ! that I had to sit through 8 hours of orientation at the facility filling in a books worth of information answering questions all for their legal requirements. My god it was along day luckily I had to sit through it with a lovely RN who was also starting a new job there, she just happened to be my new boss.  I had no idea , untill I asked her do you go through this every time you change jobs . She said every time, plus her Job interviews  last 2 hours.

Its interesting how the other half lives .

Mav'

Wow! Definitely an eye opener._mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by maverick11359 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:57 pm

On 2012-08-16 01:11, mykyll2727 wrote:
Hi Mav!!,

I'm very glad to hear your new career path is on course! I wish you the best of luck with it. I haven't picked up the Benson discs yet. I didn't forget just haven't got around to it yet. A bit of laziness but combined with fact there always seems to be something else that comes up.

I understand wanting to go the pre/pro route instead of an AV receiver. I would've probably done the same thing myself. The reason I went with an AVR was it did everything I wanted (except XLRs) and at a price I couldn't beat. Perhaps I'm making too much of it really but I'm just tired of spending $ on gear that becomes obsolete so fast. Getting an AVR that sounds exceptional on music IMO takes some $ and you won't get XLRs. At this point for that kind of $ I want XLRs. Your choices IMO are excellent ones. The new Emotiva seems like an especially good buy but I haven't heard it myself. The Marantz AV7005 I feel is another great performer at around the same price. But it's been out awhile and I would think a new model should be out soon. The 006 model receivers have come and gone and the 007 models are out now. Sony unfortunately isn't making any pre/pros and I doubt we'll see any in the near future from them.

The path I decided on was to get as inexpensive an AVR I could get that gave me what I wanted and place a high quality analog preamp with XLRs and HT bypass between it and my power amp. The preamp should last for some time and upgrading the AVR wouldn't be such an expensive move. I haven't added the preamp yet as I'm still weighing my options because of my decision to go to computer audio. Things are advancing rapidly in that area so I'm still sitting on the fence as I might find an alternative to the analog preamp._mykl

G'day Myky
Well I've gone over to the dark side..LOL ..  I've just purchased both the Marantz AV7005 preamp processor and the Emotiva XPA-5 power amp..The Marantz came yesterday but no point connecting it up untill the Emotiva which was posted today will arrive sometime at the end of next week. Yes you were right their is a new Marantz pre multi AV coming out in a few weeks that will supersede  my AV7005 but it has very little audio difference with mainly 4k video being it's upgrade. I've never been fussed about video switching, my main aim has always been audio first. I'd have to get a new projector 3D / 4k  with a player that was capable of the new formates as well to get uptodate video wise. Even then I could still bypass the amp as I do now.
It looks like alot of fun . I'm going to have to immerse myself in the world of balanced XLRs and 240 volt power leads and plugs for my new power amp and processor, buy new resonnace cones and possibly upgrade my internal wiring to my rear speakers..Also get upto date with ethernet  cat5 wiring from my computer and router to the h/t room to take advantge of internet jazz chanels and reading computer files flac and wave..Its all starting all over again and i'm excited..LOL..

Mav.
maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by mykyll2727 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:04 am

Mav_That's great news! Please keep me updated! I'm using a Marantz receiver myself. A SR5005 that I got NIB w/full waranty from Outlaw for $500 instead of the $800 MSRP. They also included their own "user's guide" to help make understanding the receiver easier. My reason for the SR5005 was that I couldn't find another 3D capable unit (as I have a 3D TV) w/full preouts for $500. Although 3D hasn't turned out to be much for me. It's OK but there's not much 3D content that I'm interested in so I could've easily done without it at this point. But I definitely wanted HDMI 1.4. I was really shocked at how good the Marantz sounds in pure direct on music. I think you'll be very happy with the AV7005 if my 5005 is any indication.

Interestingly I also plan on adding a 5ch power amp, and probably an Emotiva. The reason being I'm using my 6ch Verastarr to tri-amp my Swans F2.2+ front speakers. I'm using the receiver to power the rest of the speakers in my 7ch setup right now. So I'll be very interested in knowing your assessment of the sound of your new setup! I also have a cat5 line available and I'm considering doing the same as you w/regard to the internet and computer. I agree it's like starting all over again. And just when I felt I really had a handle on things the way my system was. But like you said despite the hassle it is exciting to be learning anew. It should help keep me young!

I truly wish we lived close by. There's so many things I'd love to pick your brain about and so many ideas I'd love to run past you. Most of all it'd be great to meet and share our systems and love of this "hobby".

I haven't had my speakers that long and I'm already contemplating what effect upgrades like internal damping, wiring, Xovers, binding posts, perhaps even driver upgrades to the mids and tweeters might have. This is despite that the fact that I love my new speakers. It's just that I plan on having these for life so I keep thinking about things to make them even better. You know what they say about an idle mind._mykl

mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by maverick11359 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:16 pm

G'day myky,
                I agree buddy , shame we have an ocean between us. One day in the future when we're retired we might catch up though,Jen and i intend on seeing the States one day..

I just took a look at your new speakers at this address http://www.swans-europe.eu/swans-f2-2-highend-lautsprecher+M52087573ab0.html . Wow ! nice looking speakers I find it hard to believe looking at them they need tweeking , their Gorgeous.. I can see the appeal of tri amping , I still like the idea of biamping..When you said I'm already contemplating what effect upgrades like internal damping, wiring, Xovers, binding posts, perhaps even driver upgrades to the mids and tweeters might have.Do you think their is improvement to be had or is it just that fatal question "WHAT IF". ? Seems We've had that disease forever.LOL . You got a bargain on your marantz  500 bucks when recommended retail is just under 1000. I paid 2100 for the AV70005 including shipping from Melbourne. I worked it out that even buying it from the States at around $1600 and paying shipping I was only going to save a couple of hundred and the warranty would always be a problem.

Anyway I'm living on a budget as usual so one of my first projects will be DIY XLR balanced interconnects. There's no way on earth i can afford 8 high quality balanced interconnects .To go between the pre and the power. Checking pre made XLR's out on the net , their dearer than RCA  interconnects. Hundreds of dollars each. They would cost more than the Emotiva XPA-5 ,lol. So Its looks like possibly http://www.venhaus1.com/diysilverinterconnects.html again , remember I built venhaus pure silver  RCA versions years ago and sold them on ebay, I also remember building them for around 100 bucks and hoping to recoperate that, but the auctuion went up as high as  300 bucks apair. LOL.The feed back after woods from the purchaser was remarkable telling me how good they were, and could i build more .LOL. I had alot of fun back then.. The question I'm possing at the moment is if i go balanced interconnects I will have to do something about my three subys which only have RCA and speaker binding post inputs . The marantz AV7005 subwoolfer  balanced out put sockets wont connect to the RCA on the subwoolfers ( the 7005 manual tells you not to use XLR /RCA adaptor jacks), I could connect to the RCA preouts on the 7005 but I'm pretty shore i will have to choose balanced or unbalanced on the inner menu, one or the other, can't have a mixture of both...That's my little dilemma.. I will find out more once I power up the 7005 with the Emotiva .I'll use the RCA pre and pros first. mmmm Emotiva make a nice suby with  balanced xlr inputs . LOL .. its just Money..  

Cheers mav'    

maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by mykyll2727 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:11 am

Hi Mav_You really have to see the F2.2s in person to appreciate their looks. The fit n finish is really exceptional. Even my wife Kathy loves the finish. Before I heard them I was VERY concerned about their sound. For the price here in the US and given their build and finish I was thinking how much could go into the sound. The last thing I was interested in was a speaker equivalent of my ex. Beautiful exterior but really ugly on the inside. I was thinking they had to be all flash with no substance. I'm thrilled to say I was wrong. I should say that it's the street price here in the US that concerned me. MSRP here was around $10K and in your homeland it's $12K. Street price here was much, much less. I really learned something about the markup on speakers from the dealers here and I was able to wrangle a deal for virtually dealer cost. 1/3 retail delivered.

Actually there's nothing wrong with their sound at all for me. Might not be to everyone's taste but it sure is to mine. So it's definitely a case of the big WHAT IF?. I wonder at times what if I went to a true ribbon like a RAAL or Raven, or an AMT instead of the planar magnetic that it has. I'm a huge fan of ribbon type tweeters. Instead of the polypropylene mids what if I went to Scanspeak papers or Accuton ceramics or even to another PP like an Acoustic Technology. Let's not overlook the fact that all of these ideas are EXPENSIVE! What about a cap upgrade to the Xovers or if I changed the acoustic material and or added some damping stuff to the cabinets, copper binding posts, etc, etc. Like I said an idle mind. You'd think at my age I'd have better things to ponder.

I understand given the price difference and warranty thing your deciding to get a 7005 from Aus. I hadn't really thought alot about the cost of adding balanced interconnects. Fortunately for you you're able to make some great ICs yourself. Hmmm...A pair of subs with XLRs that go down to 15Hz or lower with a Xover setting as low as 25hz now that would be a nice addition for me. Something like a pair of Rythmik 15 inchers. Yeah that would be cool and probably less than driver swaps. There goes that idle mind again. What can I say my friend, I'm just incorrigible. As Kathy says with a shake of her head "just hopeless". I think she's just kidding. I hope so anyway._mykl

mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by jehill » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:40 pm

On 2012-09-09 04:04, mykyll2727 wrote:
I haven't had my speakers that long and I'm already contemplating what effect upgrades like internal damping, wiring, Xovers, binding posts, perhaps even driver upgrades to the mids and tweeters might have. This is despite that the fact that I love my new speakers. It's just that I plan on having these for life so I keep thinking about things to make them even better. You know what they say about an idle mind._mykl]
Are you sure that you want to attempt upgrades to those beautiful speakers?  You say that you plan on having the speakers for life, but what if circumstances change and you need to sell them?  Wouldn't modifications reduce their market value?  Would you use trial and error for driver swaps?  To the best of my knowledge, most speakers are designed for specific drivers.  Just because a speaker has the same dimensions and impedance doesn't mean that it will be a good replacement.  That's why I suspect that "trial and error" would be required if you elect to try that mod.

jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by mykyll2727 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:43 pm

John_You make some very good points and I've actually considered them all. I doubt that I'll ever really do it. Just my mind wandering. One of the MAJOR issues with doing serious mods to them is I don't have the skills myself and I don't have the courage to "experiment" on them either. That would mean shipping to an expert. They're alot of speaker to ship. I'd be terrified that something would happen to them. Of course also there's the cost of such an endeavor. But I do wonder what an expert like Danny Richie could do with them. Maybe alot, then again maybe not much. Like I said I doubt I'll ever really find out and I can't see myself voiding the warranty either. So that would be at least 5yrs down the road. Truth be known, I've speculated on having my K90s modded since I got them. I've had enough of them and the price I paid was cheap enough to be able to run the risk. I've had them for something like 8yrs and still haven't done it. It's just an idle mind speculating on the "What if". Kinda like when I look up at the stars and wonder what it's like on so and so. But I don't want to know bad enough to actually go there._mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Blu-Ray