[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Poor quality blu-ray movie

Advanced search
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:58 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Poor quality blu-ray movie

Poor quality blu-ray movie

This forum addresses questions on Blu-Ray

Moderator: jttar

by maverick11359 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:55 am

G'day myky, only have a few minutes to spare at the moment to check emails early in the morning.I'm doing a course in Old Age care ,,,basic nursing ,first aid and so on..Its a lot of study and yes your right its a huge move. My mates ask am I moving in to Age care or working in it..LOL ..I've got 14 years left before retiring at 67 ,so I'LL let you know how i go. .. Mav'
maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by mykyll2727 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:06 pm

Mav_I've got a few years on you as I turned 58 a couple of months ago. So I know exactly what your friends mean. I've found that with my age and our economy noone is knocking my door down to offer me a job. Yet with my joint problems I've got to make a move.

Good luck to both of us and please keep me posted._mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by David_S » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:40 pm

Mav_Wishing you success with your new career.  The aging baby boomer population should keep you busy.

TA- N77ES, E77ES, E80ES, E9000ES
STR- GX10ES, DA4ES, DA5700ES
DVP- NS999ES
HAP-S1, MDS-JA20ES, ST-S730ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by maverick11359 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:37 am

On 2012-02-23 23:40, David_S wrote:
Mav_Wishing you success with your new career.  The aging baby boomer population should keep you busy.

Thanks David,
                  the joke is being born in the late 50's they classify me as the end of the baby boomers .
maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by maverick11359 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:25 pm

On 2012-01-06 00:48, mykyll2727 wrote:

On 2012-01-05 14:58, maverick11359 wrote:
G'day myky, I became  a fan of George  Benson back in the  70's , when the "Breezin" album came out and "This masquerade" made a big hit on the radio. I have all his vinyl up to the mid 90's put away up in the attic  . ..I did buy his Breezin album on DVD Audio when it came out back in 2005 but it was really disappointing on audio quality. I was surprised when i spotted his new album on the Net last month..I discovered  he has two more new albums  one is  a straight CD  called the "Guitar Man" , it seems to be avaliable in HD (flac) on the net as a download but not HDS on a Disc.The other is the same format as Songs and Stories in HDS called "Give it up".  This is the address  http://www.monstermusic.com/catalog.asp

cheers Mav'

Mav_I like you really became truly aware of Benson with This Masquerade in the mid '70s. I became totally hooked when I got the the live 2LP album Weekend In LA a little later. Even though I'm trying not to buy any more CDs because of my intention to go to computer audio I'll still get really good MCH discs. I love MCH done right. As soon as I saw your post I looked for it on Amazon and saw the Givin' it up disc w/Al Jerreau there too. Thanks so much for the monstermusic address. I'm getting a new receiver so my audio budget is depleted at the moment but I'll still be getting the Songs and Stories disc. I'll post my review here when I do.

G,day Myky ,
Finished my age care course and working my new career ,so I have spare time again waiting for the next shift to start..So what better than to spend it back on Agoraquest with my old friends. ..

I've been dying to ask what you though of George Bensons Songs and Stories in DTS 96/24 .. I've played the cover of it over the last 7 months . Ive even been honored by my audio file neighbour who came in for a glass of red the other week and had a serious listening section with me . My friend doesn't say much on the spot but a week later listening to his gear he started praising the George B surround 96/24 album and how he'd been praising my Hi Rez surround system to his audiophile mates . I've been thinking and dreading laterly that my Sony 333Es is coming up for retirement . I've been looking at AV processors this time out not recievers .I've been checking out Onkyo, Rotel and Emotiva mainly because their using balanced interconnects between pre and pro. Im not upto date with Sony though. Have you any ideas?
maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by mykyll2727 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:11 pm

Hi Mav!!,

I'm very glad to hear your new career path is on course! I wish you the best of luck with it. I haven't picked up the Benson discs yet. I didn't forget just haven't got around to it yet. A bit of laziness but combined with fact there always seems to be something else that comes up.

I understand wanting to go the pre/pro route instead of an AV receiver. I would've probably done the same thing myself. The reason I went with an AVR was it did everything I wanted (except XLRs) and at a price I couldn't beat. Perhaps I'm making too much of it really but I'm just tired of spending $ on gear that becomes obsolete so fast. Getting an AVR that sounds exceptional on music IMO takes some $ and you won't get XLRs. At this point for that kind of $ I want XLRs. Your choices IMO are excellent ones. The new Emotiva seems like an especially good buy but I haven't heard it myself. The Marantz AV7005 I feel is another great performer at around the same price. But it's been out awhile and I would think a new model should be out soon. The 006 model receivers have come and gone and the 007 models are out now. Sony unfortunately isn't making any pre/pros and I doubt we'll see any in the near future from them.

The path I decided on was to get as inexpensive an AVR I could get that gave me what I wanted and place a high quality analog preamp with XLRs and HT bypass between it and my power amp. The preamp should last for some time and upgrading the AVR wouldn't be such an expensive move. I haven't added the preamp yet as I'm still weighing my options because of my decision to go to computer audio. Things are advancing rapidly in that area so I'm still sitting on the fence as I might find an alternative to the analog preamp._mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by jttar » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:39 pm

Mav'

Great to hear from you my friend. Haven't heard from you since my last email to you but I am happy to hear that you have surrvived your age care course and have settled in to your new career. You do know of course that you will always be a sparky to me. LOL.

Hope to see more of you here as your time permits. My congratulations and best wishes, again on your new careeer.

Warm regards,
Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by maverick11359 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:06 pm

On 2012-08-16 01:11, mykyll2727 wrote:
Hi Mav!!,

I'm very glad to hear your new career path is on course! I wish you the best of luck with it. I haven't picked up the Benson discs yet. I didn't forget just haven't got around to it yet. A bit of laziness but combined with fact there always seems to be something else that comes up.

I understand wanting to go the pre/pro route instead of an AV receiver. I would've probably done the same thing myself. The reason I went with an AVR was it did everything I wanted (except XLRs) and at a price I couldn't beat. Perhaps I'm making too much of it really but I'm just tired of spending $ on gear that becomes obsolete so fast. Getting an AVR that sounds exceptional on music IMO takes some $ and you won't get XLRs. At this point for that kind of $ I want XLRs. Your choices IMO are excellent ones. The new Emotiva seems like an especially good buy but I haven't heard it myself. The Marantz AV7005 I feel is another great performer at around the same price. But it's been out awhile and I would think a new model should be out soon. The 006 model receivers have come and gone and the 007 models are out now. Sony unfortunately isn't making any pre/pros and I doubt we'll see any in the near future from them.

The path I decided on was to get as inexpensive an AVR I could get that gave me what I wanted and place a high quality analog preamp with XLRs and HT bypass between it and my power amp. The preamp should last for some time and upgrading the AVR wouldn't be such an expensive move. I haven't added the preamp yet as I'm still weighing my options because of my decision to go to computer audio. Things are advancing rapidly in that area so I'm still sitting on the fence as I might find an alternative to the analog preamp._mykl

G'day myky, Thanks for the support on my new job and thanks for the heads up on the Marantz AV7005  ,it has everything I need and a very nice looking AV processor at about 2,100 AU dollar( purchased in Aust. ), good price. The New Emotiva AV processor XMC-1 isn't out yet but at about $1500 US plus they quoted $400US shared  postage with their 5 channel XPA-5  at 200watt x 5 power amplifier for $900 also works out at a good price .I'll keep my Rotel 1080b power amp running my front mains but put the Emotiva 5 channel or something equivalent  to run the remaining channels.The Onkyo AV processor  is also at a good price at around $2,100  as well but reading reviews from its owners, they say most  have a problem with being mechanically noisy, switching between functions or something. mmm   I love silence though unless its true audio, so i don't know about the Onkyo .

The reason i started looking at AV processors like you said is because of the cost .Brand new AVR with preouts  in Australia start at $2500 base models and go up. That's why something like Emotiva with the pre and pro amplification with balanced interconnects (XLRs) combined together even with postage costs $2,800... Also there's the availability of second hand power amps in Aust as well, I should pick up a Rotel or equivalent  for less than $800.  So all up by buying separate  pre and pro  I should get away spending a maximum of $2,900 .  

Anyway that's the plan I now I'm living on borrowed time with my beloved Sony 333ES because when it stops everything stops.So If you know of other AV processors to check out please let me know.

cheers Mav.

maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by maverick11359 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:42 pm

On 2012-08-16 21:39, jttar wrote:
Mav'

Great to hear from you my friend. Haven't heard from you since my last email to you but I am happy to hear that you have surrvived your age care course and have settled in to your new career. You do know of course that you will always be a sparky to me. LOL.

Hope to see more of you here as your time permits. My congratulations and best wishes, again on your new careeer.

Warm regards,
Joe

G'day Joe,
         Great to hear from you to bro.I did respond to your last email but obviously it got stopped again.. not to worry.. thank goodness  for Agoraquest .

You know your right  I will always be a sparky to me too . LOL ... its hard after 37 years in total of being a sparky ,being an electrical contractor for the last 17 years to stop thinking that way... I'm now a certifiied AIN ( Assistant In Nurse) So 'LOL" I'm referred to as AIN White at Work.. They have asked if i'm interested in becoming an E.N (enrolled Nurse) or possibly a RN  (Registered Nurse). Possibly the EN which will take a day week for a year but the RN will take too much study (another 4years) and I don't have that many years left. LOL. I'll be able to book my own bed ahead of time when I finish the course .. LOL.  Just Kidding you know i still have about 15 years left in me to work..

The plan is to save some dollars, put more super away and when Jen and I retire travel overseas and see the world . Hopefully come and annoy my long lost audio buddies in the States ..Possibly search out long lost blood relatives now my sister has done our family tree, in the UK, Europe and the USA.

Warm regards ,
Rick.( Mav)
maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by maverick11359 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:57 pm

Hi Myky , I forgot to mention that I purchased another George Benson Album only on CD not Hi Rez .Called "The Guitar Man" .. It's superb as well, released in 2011 2 years younger than songs and stories 2009. The quality of engineering is fantastic the album's sound stage is clean , the instuments are separated and very real. The Cd /Album content is brillant with some lovely music .Only thing is it's a shame the Guitar man wasn't in mulitchannel . Its a must have as well for all George fans.
maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Blu-Ray