[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - Poor quality blu-ray movie

Advanced search
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:46 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Poor quality blu-ray movie

Poor quality blu-ray movie

This forum addresses questions on Blu-Ray

Moderator: jttar

by maverick11359 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:25 pm

G'day guys ,
             Its been a while since I walked the corridoors of my old favourite forum.
           I still have all the same great old sony gear and use it just about every day. The reason that i'm back is to ask a question of my old friends something you may have come across in the past and I havn't.

Last night, christmas night here in oz I loaded a new blu-ray movie " The next Three days " with Russel Crowe into my faithfull BDPS550 . The BD movie loaded as fast as a DVD and first came up with the small blue led front panel showing 24 frames
( meaning BD disc 1080/24) but when the menu came up the light went out and then the movie played with out the 24 frame led lit up . I pushed  the display button on the sony remote and on screen it showed full 3/4 .1 Master HD DTS "audio" but top left of screen stated only 1080 / 50p video .I can't remember ever seeing this video formate displayed before on BD except maybe upscaling DVD's . The picture quality to me was grainy and not up to the standard of Blu-ray discs ..I  did a qiuck comparison to another new   Blu-ray movie I just watched 2 hours earlier one of my old favourites "The Good The Bad and The ugly" and it was far far superior in video quality to the next three days and was 1080/24p..

I'm wondering is there a problem decoding in my older player or are some blu-ray movies coming out in this poor quality 1080p video formate.

cheers maverick..

maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by mykyll2727 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:28 pm

I don't have any info for you regarding the BDs, I just wanted to say hi as it's been so long since I've chatted with you. I hope all is well with you and yours and wish you a very Merry Christmas and all the best in the New Year my friend._mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by maverick11359 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:14 pm

G'day myky,
               It has been to long my old friend , thanks for the kind xmas and new year wishes, and off course right back at you ,hoping you and your family are also well.

I probably mentioned it a while back that my other love ( apart from family off course )was R/C aeromodeling, model aircraft ,that has taken up my spare time for the last few years now. But I still get a lot of fun and  mileage from my other love Music and Movies.
Hope your gear is still performing well and the Mav 3.1 power conditioner is still functioning.

From memory you were a keen tennis player and follower , the tennis / cricket  season is all about to happen again down here in OZ  for summer should be brilliant. Up there in the States I wonder if you ever see our 20/20 world cricket matches .Unlike 5 day Test match cricket ( which can be slow) it's lightning fast and over in a couple of hours , brilliant to watch even possible a faster pace than your baseball . Australia is playing India and New Zealand this summer ,will be great TV .

great to chat and catch up again  ..

As I should have previously sated Merry Christmas and new year to all.

Mav'

maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by parney » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:34 am

Gday and merry xmas Mav a few weeks ago I came across the same thing although I dont remember the exact title.I just recall being shocked to find such poor quality from a new bluray.I beleive our systems are quite similar so I dont think anything is wrong with your player.
parney
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by mykyll2727 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:52 pm

Mav_Thanks for the well wishes. It's most appreciated. Great to hear all is well with you and that you're keeping busy and having fun. I'm happy to report the 3.1 is still in my system and working fine. I'm sad to report my STR-DA9000ES is on it's last legs though. No parts anymore for a fix. Still haven't made a final decision on it's replacement but I'll be making a move soon.

I haven't seen a cricket match listed on TV but I'll keep a lookout for it. I do remember how popular it is down under.

Great to hear from you again and hopefully you'll find the time to report in here more often. All the best to you my friend._mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by maverick11359 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:04 am

G'day parney ,thanks for the helpful reply.
   I love blu-ray because of it's superior quality , disappointing if this becomes the norm 1080/50p .
maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by mykyll2727 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:11 pm

I was wondering if there's any reference to the 1080/50p format on the box anywhere? Or are we left with getting BluRays and hoping for the best._mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by maverick11359 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:26 pm

G'day myky,
                no reference on this case of 50p .... Only reference is a "1080p HIGH RESOLUTION COMPATIBLE"  small black badge on the rear cover of the case... I played around with a few of my BD movies this morning just to see the references compared to dvd ,first using the blu-ray player display showing the bit rate and the projectors display showing info . Interestingly the DVD has identical 1080/50p reference on the projector as this Blu-ray disc . The Sony BDP550 showed the bitrate between the dvd and the Blu-ray disc was different though .The Blu-ray displayed around 34mbps the dvd played showed 7 mbps .

The DVD was obviously being upscaled to 1080/50p the blu-ray not .Picture quality difference was marginally better on the BD  with 5 times the information coming per second from the BD compared to the DVD.

My other BD discs playing at 1080/24p ( which brought on the little blue led front panel )I tried were much better in video quality, sharper,  more vivid and more detail showing similar in the higher  bitrate  35 Mbps.

Cheers Mav'

maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by mykyll2727 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:03 am

Mav_Thanks for the info. It looks like now that getting a BluRay is like buying a pig in a poke. No guarantees on what you're getting. An unpleasant situation IMO._mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by Maxxwire » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:50 pm

Mav- I saw that you had started this thread and although I do not know what could be causing this Blu Ray problem I do want to wish you, manicmechanic as well as your families and friends there in Coffs Harbour a happy new year2012!

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

Next

Return to Blu-Ray