[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - article: "All HDMI Cables are the Same"

Advanced search
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:24 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - article: "All HDMI Cables are the Same"

article: "All HDMI Cables are the Same"

This forum addresses questions on Blu-Ray

Moderator: jttar

by dontsleep33 » Fri May 27, 2011 3:09 am

Any difference probably has to do with the ferrites blocking some interference in Maxx's fathers house.How much does that Belkin cable cost anyway?
dontsleep33
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by mykyll2727 » Sat May 28, 2011 12:14 pm

On 2011-05-27 07:09, dontsleep33 wrote:
Any difference probably has to do with the ferrites blocking some interference in Maxx's fathers house.How much does that Belkin cable cost anyway?

I know what you're saying but if I understand the article properly wouldn't the ferrites be irrelevant?

I think the AV silver series HDMI can be had for about $20 on Amazon for an 8ft cable._mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by Reinhart » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:25 pm

In actuality, there is a difference, but only in compliance of the HDMI standard.

You can have obsolete HDMI cables so, in that way, a cheap cable compliant with HDMI 1.4 will be far better than an expensive cable compliant with HDMI 1.2a.

What good is an expensive cable if it eventually won't keep up with you owing to obsolescence?

Just get as cheap a cable as you can buy of a length that you need that's compliant with the latest HDMI standard.
Reinhart
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by SNY4ME » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:06 pm

I'd like to chime in with my recent experience. I've recently upgraded my HT to include a 3D Projector and a BR Player. My old PureAV Silver Series HDMI cables work perfectly fine with the 3D and Hi-Rez Audio even though they were from HDMI 1.1 era. In addition I've added mostly Monoprice cables, just the cheapest $4 high speed cables the have in 4-8ft lengths and noticed no difference in performance over my PureAV cables.

I did find it difficult to find a "high speed" cable in a 25ft length for my PJ. Monoprice has a "professional" cable that I eneded up getting, but it was massive! It was a 22AWG cable with a 1/2" diameter and was not easy to thread through my conduit. After doing a bit of research the only info I could find out about 3D HDMI cable limitations was longer runs degrading the signal.

This concerned me, But in the end, I've got a 6ft cable from my BR Player to the wall plate (which is basically a 4" Male to Male cable. This went to the 25ft cable and another wall plate and a finally a 1.5ft Cable. This resulted in 4 additional connections and a total run of over 33' of cheap cable that flawlessly passes 3D 1080P signal.

So all I've taken from everything is simply this: What I have works.

It doesn't really add up from what I've been reading, guys with 30ft cables straight from their BR to PJ and having signal problems with 3D.
SNY4ME
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

Previous

Return to Blu-Ray