[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - article: "All HDMI Cables are the Same"

Advanced search
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:18 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - article: "All HDMI Cables are the Same"

article: "All HDMI Cables are the Same"

This forum addresses questions on Blu-Ray

Moderator: jttar

by dragon53 » Thu May 12, 2011 5:11 am

Link:  http://news.cnet.com/why-all-hdmi-cables-are-the-same/8301-17938_105-20056502-1.html
dragon53
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by jttar » Thu May 12, 2011 6:03 pm

Thanks dragon53,

ACTIVE LINK
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by mykyll2727 » Sat May 21, 2011 10:06 am

Interesting indeed. Does anyone have any experiences with different quality cables to determine if it's true or not?_Mykl

PS_ Joe thanks for the link.
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by andyross » Sun May 22, 2011 3:33 am

I have some 9ft Amazon Basics cables. They work fine at 1080p/60.
andyross
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by dontsleep33 » Sun May 22, 2011 9:12 am

I have to agree with this arcticle.The only difference I see between my cables are build quality.The most expensive I've bought was a $40 Auvio cable from Radio Shack.My local sattelite TV provider SKY gave me a cheap black one that works just as good though.Prices with HDMI depends greatly on length though it seems more than any other type of cable
dontsleep33
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by mykyll2727 » Sun May 22, 2011 9:46 am

I have to admit the case made in the article makes sense to me. If it's true though then HDMI cables would be different from any other cabling I've had experience with, with the exception of iLink. I was never able to satisfactorily determine the difference in SQ between iLink cables._Mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by mykyll2727 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:43 pm

An update...I have a few different HDMI cables all from different makers. They range from a cheap generic one to a Belkin Pure AV silver and Amphenol Ultra which was about $40 for a 10 ft cable. Obviously none are the uber expensive kind (Wireworld Platinum costs $1k per meter) but are all high speed rated. I don't use a HDMI connection for audio so I can't comment on it but on video I compared them all and found no difference in picture quality. So my experiments support the article. If indeed this proves to be the case in all instances just imagine spending $1k for a cable that offers no better video performance than a $3 one. OUCH!!!! Man talk about seeing someone coming.......Mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by Maxxwire » Tue May 24, 2011 7:50 pm

I don't have much experience with HDMI either, but 6 months ago when I replaced the poorly built low quality HDMI cable that my Dad had been using between his Comcast Digital Cable Box and his 50" Sony WEGA with this This Belkin Silver Series Pure AV HDMI wire with silver plated 99.99% Pure OF Copper conductors, not crimped but Silver Solder wire terminations and 4 layers of shielding with terminations that are as wide as a US quarter which sells for less than $50 for an 8' length there was an immediate and noticeably striking improvement in picture quality which is compltetly contrary to everything I read in this article which contends that all HDMI cables are exactly the same.

What I have seen using this very moderately priced Belkin HDMI cable leaves Geoffrey Morrison with a lot of explaining to do as to why I'm seeing a very striking improvement in picture quality on the 50" Sony WEGA. Until then I will continue to believe what I have been consistently seeing rather than the ramblings of some electrical wiring theorist who obviously has never bothered to find out how much of an improved picture even a moderately priced but well built HDMI cable can make.

~Maxx~  

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by mykyll2727 » Tue May 24, 2011 9:33 pm

Maxx_I find your experience very interesting. I have the same cable a 6ft length and didn't notice a difference over any of the other cables I tried. My A/Bing was done quickly and only with my Cox cable signal. Even before your post I'd been planning on some more extensive comparisons. Now I'm definitely going to do it.

I've read and heard similar statements made about analog audio cables in that it makes no difference. When I joined this sight I felt it was true too. I thought afterall wire is wire. Now I KNOW that there's a difference. I also know there's a difference in SPDIF and toslink cabling as well. After reading the article again I'm not convinced in some of the things he says esp. with regard to the "real" signal as he refers to it. AFA my personal experience when it comes to cabling what really surprised me was that I wasn't able to determine any real difference between the three iLink cables I have. They are the stock Sony cable that came with the XA9000ES, Belkins standard cable and their Pure AV silver series. I only did my testing with the HATS feature on though. But because of that I was willing at first to give credence to his statements. Now I'm not so sure. I'll do some more HDMI testing a report back my findings._mykl

mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by jehill » Wed May 25, 2011 11:11 am

Maxx, did you replace the power cord on your dad's TV?  I am wondering if reducing the noise level by replacing the power cord would make it easier to see the difference between HDMI cables.  In other words, it might be more difficult to observe the difference with a higher TV set or monitor noise level.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

Next

Return to Blu-Ray