[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - 1080i Display and HD DVD & Blu-Ray DVD

        Advanced search
It is currently Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:06 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - 1080i Display and HD DVD & Blu-Ray DVD

1080i Display and HD DVD & Blu-Ray DVD

This forum addresses questions on Blu-Ray

Moderator: jttar

by gryptype » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:57 pm

I have a Sony 1080i display and I was wondering if I would see the higher definition picture that these HD players provide. I know I would need a 1080P display to see the max definition available but would I see any difference with my 1080i and the HD players over my upconverting DVD player?
gryptype
Sony Buff
Sony Buff
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun May 23, 2004 8:00 pm

by maverick11359 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:35 pm






On 2007-01-14 23:57, gryptype wrote:
I have a Sony 1080i display and I was wondering if I would see the higher definition picture that these HD players provide. I know I would need a 1080P display to see the max definition available but would I see any difference with my 1080i and the HD players over my upconverting DVD player?


 Gaday  gryptype,
                      Thats one great name !

 It depends on your DVD player at present if it upscales as mind does (Denon 3910)to 1080i with SD  dvd's you wont see much of a noticeable difference.
     But if your currently watching Standard REZ DVD with a standard DVD player you'll get a huge jump in picture quality to 1080i with a HD or bluray player . I'm told (yet to see)an even further jump with a Display capable of 1080p processing with a Hi REZ player.

 So it comes down to what your watching at present.

 cheers maverick.
maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict
 
Posts: 1496
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Coffs Harbour-AUSTRALIA

by Toli » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:42 am

gryptype,

If your were to use a Blue-ray or HD-DVD player, playing a Blue-Ray or HD-DVD disc set to output at 1080i, I think that there's a chance that you may see a small difference. I believe that this may happen because the source material (the Blue-Ray or HD-DVD) is of a higher PQ than a standard DVD.

Toli
Toli
Sony Legend
Sony Legend
 
Posts: 8074
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:00 pm
Location: Winthrop Harbor, IL USA

by rb » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:36 pm

I've done comparisons of Blu Ray at 1080i and 1080P and they both look better than standard definition DVD upscaled or not.  I have yet to see an upscaling DVD player that improved on a 480 line signal. A DVD holds 480 lines of resolution period.    
rb
Sony Addict
Sony Addict
 
Posts: 2035
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2003 8:00 pm
Location: Canada

by maverick11359 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:38 pm









On 2007-01-15 18:36, rb wrote:
I've done comparisons of Blu Ray at 1080i and 1080P and they both look better than standard definition DVD upscaled or not.  I have yet to see an upscaling DVD player that improved on a 480 line signal. A DVD holds 480 lines of resolution period.    




 Gaday rb,
            I'm not the expert on Video so you can correct me if I'm wrong , but PAL displays run more pixels than NSTC ,so I always assumed that we ran more imformation possibly a better picture and from what i've watched on a couple of my standard NSTC DVD's I have to say they look poor compared to my large collection of PAL DVD's.
 
   Having said that My Denon 3910 upscales my Pal SD dvd to 1080i on to my 94" projector screen where a lack of imformation stands out . I would think more than say on a large 60" T.V Screen .So maybe that's why i see changes from different formats, oh and SD comming from my Free to Air  looks the same as SD DVD on my large screen(very average ).

   I have with my wife and couple of customers(I Installed a HT for them)last year at home showed all three ABC tested so to speak to show them the comparisons  .My SD diplayed using componet connections from my (A) SD Denon 1400 DVD player to projector swiching over to same movie in my(B) Denon 3910 HDMI 1080i upscaled and swiching to settop box last to(C) Free to AIR for true 1080i.
 
    Honestly the coment from all three was why would anybody watch  SD dvd on my Denon1400  after watching  the two 1080i displays which they all agreed  were very close .
        Maybe  watching them on a 94 inch (2.35m) projector screen shows up greater diferences.

  cheers maverick



maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict
 
Posts: 1496
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Coffs Harbour-AUSTRALIA

by videofiend » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:19 am

To my eyes, the upconversion process varies with the quality of the original material, the type of display you have, etc.
It was a noticeable improvement with my Oppo 971H player. An improvement my present Toshiba XA1 seems to at least equal.
I had a Sony NS90 that only lasted 3 weeks, but while it was working produced a fine progressive image but made absolutely no difference with it's HDMI output.
Still, I would not hesitate to recommend a Sony player if you do not think UC works.
But IMO, nothing compares to the Oppo for the price, not only in terms of value but customer service.
I am using a Sony 55WF655 display (720p) and image set for 1080i look stellar, on both my HD DVD player as well as my Dish DVR receiver.
videofiend
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:00 pm
Location: CA

by sherardp » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:58 pm






On 2007-02-19 11:19, videofiend wrote:
But IMO, nothing compares to the Oppo for the price, not only in terms of value but customer service.
I am using a Sony 55WF655 display (720p) and image set for 1080i look stellar, on both my HD DVD player as well as my Dish DVR receiver.


I agree with you on that one, I have a 981HD oppo player on a 61 inch sony xbr and the pq looks great when upconverting S DVD. Going from standard dvd to hd dvd or blu ray is very easy to recognize the higher pq in both HD formats. And from the many reviews I read on the web, you wont notice a difference in a 1080i vs 1080p display.
sherardp
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 8:00 pm
Location: Japan

by videofiend » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:21 am



On 2007-03-10 00:58, sherardp wrote:








On 2007-02-19 11:19, videofiend wrote:
But IMO, nothing compares to the Oppo for the price, not only in terms of value but customer service.
I am using a Sony 55WF655 display (720p) and image set for 1080i look stellar, on both my HD DVD player as well as my Dish DVR receiver.




I agree with you on that one, I have a 981HD oppo player on a 61 inch sony xbr and the pq looks great when upconverting S DVD. Going from standard dvd to hd dvd or blu ray is very easy to recognize the higher pq in both HD formats. And from the many reviews I read on the web, you wont notice a difference in a 1080i vs 1080p display.


I think you may see a difference on the larger displays with regards to 1080p, say 60" and above.
As far as upconversion goes, Oppos have the low end covered well. Denon and Pioneer do a good job on upconversion for the mid to high end.
At least from what I have seen.
But the uc on the Toshiba HD players for SD disks is superior or at least equal to anything else IMO. It's a nice bonus to have a do-it-all player since a great number of my favorites are still not in an HD format as of yet.
videofiend
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:00 pm
Location: CA

by SNY4ME » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:30 am



On 2007-01-15 18:36, rb wrote:
I've done comparisons of Blu Ray at 1080i and 1080P and they both look better than standard definition DVD upscaled or not. I have yet to see an upscaling DVD player that improved on a 480 line signal. A DVD holds 480 lines of resolution period.


gryptype,

I'm with rb 100% on this one. You would definatily see a huge benefit with 1080i over dvd's 480p.

Consider the fact that the differnce between 1080i and 1080p is quite subtle. In fact, if you are sitting only a few feet further than 'optimal'. Your eyes can't tell the difference.

You would also benefit from the faster frame rates of the Blu-ray format.

Lyle
SNY4ME
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado
 
Posts: 871
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

by videofiend » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:22 am



I don't think anyone would argue 1080i/p is better than an upconverted 480i image.


But a good upconverted image is better in most cases than a standard 480 output but in no way as good an HD picture. We have come full circle on that, I think






videofiend
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:00 pm
Location: CA


Return to Blu-Ray