[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - PS3 as a Blu Ray Player

Advanced search
It is currently Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:41 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - PS3 as a Blu Ray Player

PS3 as a Blu Ray Player

This forum addresses questions on Blu-Ray

Moderator: jttar

by edconline » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:22 pm

Well it's finally here:

After a long wait I finally picked up my KDSR60XBR2 to replace my 3 years old 57" CRT HDTV. And I couldn't be happier with the picture quality, DVD's on it with the 9100ES look almost as good as HDTV did on my old tv. HDTV looks positively amazing both via my satellite and the over the air locals thru a set top antenna I just picked up. (That ATSC tuner really IS worth having in a new tv!) I also have the HD DVD drive for my XBOX 360 and most HD DVD titles are just gorgeous.

So, wanting to test out more HD DVD's on the new TV, I went into the local Wal Mart to look for some Universal Studios movies that I didn't own yet. (Universal Studios is the only exclusive HD DVD studio, and whenever possible I want to buy Blu Ray discs) As I'm looking at HD DVD's my buddy also there says 'hey look they have a 60GB PS3 ins stock. So i spent a couple minutes looking at it and decided that I'd really like to enjoy all the Blu Ray movies I already own before heading off to basic training. And so I found myself 750 dollars poorer and carrying a big box home.

Now one reason I hadn't planned on getting a PS3 is because I based on what I had heard/read i was under the impression that my receiver, the 7100ES could NOT accept multichannel audio thru the HDMI connection. And as the PS3 is lacking the analog outputs, HDMI is the only way to take advantage of the new audio codecs. However, much to my delight when i connected the PS3 into my receiver thru the hdmi and from my receiver to my tv, not only did the 7100 switch the 1080p video perfectly, the multi channel linear PCM worked flawlessly!

Now I probably don't have to tell you that the 1080p video from Blu Ray just blows your mind. I mean, literally it's hard to pay attention to what is going on in the movie at first because you are just so shocked at what you are seeing. But the real treat on Blu Ray is the audio. I watched both Underworld: Evolution and Ultraviolet today with the 5.1 Linear PCM Uncompressed audio tracks today and it's going to be hard to find the words to describe what I heard. One great thing about the PS3 (and believe me, there are plenty of outstanding features) is that by pressing one button you can bring up, on screen a display showing the real time video codec, bitrate, audio bitrate, sampling rate, and channels. So I could see that the 5.1 Channel Linear PCM was running at 4.6Mbps, 48Khz sampling rate and 16Bits! The ONLY thing I can compare the Linear PCM to is multichannel SACD through i.link from my 9100ES. And even drawing that comparison is saying something.

Another thing i was very impressed with was the loading time, or rather the lack thereof. BD discs load in about 10-20 seconds a FAR cry from the usual 30 seconds to over a minute common on the next gen players. In addition, the pop up menus and playback controls work flawlessly and with no lag.

All things considered, the PS3 is an EXCELLENT Blu Ray player, perhaps the best out there right now, and is absolutely the best bang for the buck HD player on the market right now.

Ed KDSR60XBR2, STRDA7100ES, DVPNS9100ES, RDRGX315, SLVN750, SSK90ED (x2), SSK70ED (x3), SSMB150H (x2), SAWX900 x 2, SAWX700 x 2, PS3, Xbox 360 w/ HD DVD, Gamecube, RMAV3000, HTPS 7000 SS MK2, AVS 2000 SS, HTUPS500 x 2

edconline
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by Maxxwire » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:12 pm

On 2007-01-01 23:22, edconline wrote: So I could see that the 5.1 Channel Linear PCM was running at 4.6Mbps, 48Khz sampling rate and 16 Bits!

Many sources have said that Blu Ray's Audio was supposed to be a 5.1 channel 24 bit 192k kz bitstream. Do you know how it got downsampled to 16 bit 48k hz?

I'm not saying that Blu Ray doesn't sound absolutely fantastic because I've heard the BDP-S1 and I know that it does I'm just curious as to what happened to the original 24 bit 192k hz bitstream is all.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Toli » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:53 am

On 2007-01-01 23:22, edconline wrote:

Now one reason I hadn't planned on getting a PS3 is because I based on what I had heard/read i was under the impression that my receiver, the 7100ES could NOT accept multichannel audio thru the HDMI connection. And as the PS3 is lacking the analog outputs, HDMI is the only way to take advantage of the new audio codecs. However, much to my delight when i connected the PS3 into my receiver thru the hdmi and from my receiver to my tv, not only did the 7100 switch the 1080p video perfectly, the multi channel linear PCM worked flawlessly!

edconline,

Awhile back, my friend at Oade said that the DA7100ES should have no problem passing a 1080p signal. But when I brought this up here, people said it was ridiculous because it wasn't in the specs and I made several people upset. I then said that it shouldn't be discounted until someone had actually tried it. Thanks for confirming that the DA7100ES will pass a 1080p signal.

Toli
Toli
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Toli » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:55 am

Toli

Toli
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by edconline » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:07 am

Maxx,
There is no downsampling happening here, while the spec for Blu Ray allows 24 bit, 192Khz and 7.1 channels but it is up to the studios to choose the bitrate and sampling rate as well as wordlength they use on the disc. Sony has been using 5.1 48Khz, 16-bit uncompressed PCM on all of their titles while there is another studio using 5.1 48Khz, 24-bit on their linear PCM titles, i believe it's Disney but I'm not sure off the top of my head. One day we may see the full glorious 7.1 192Khz 24 bit audio but none of the discs are here yet. The audio bitrate,sampling rate and wordlength are usually listed on the back of the BD case. Also, the PS3 shows this data in real time on screen.
Ed
edconline
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by Maxxwire » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:47 am

On 2007-01-02 14:07, edconline wrote: Sony has been using 5.1 48Khz, 16-bit uncompressed PCM on all of their titles.

One day we may see the full glorious 7.1 192Khz 24 bit audio but none of the discs are here yet.

Ed- Sony is wise to use the industry standard Professional 16/48 PCM Bitrare on their discs because it is commensurate with the capability of the associated equipment to transmit and process it at more than a true 16 bit resolution.

While it is true that some distributors are now making discs with 24 bit PCM encoding there is no equipment currently available on the consumer level that could deliver it anywhwere close to full resolution.

As far as 7.1 24/192 goes it will take some highly sophisticated and very expensive equipment that has been designed to overcome the -120 dB (20 bit) Thermal Noise Floor to be able to bring the -144 dB noisefloor of a 24 bit recording into this world.

Thanks for sharing the details of your PS-3 Blu Ray experience with us I've learned a lot already!

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by SNY4ME » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:34 pm

On 2007-01-02 07:53, Toli wrote:

On 2007-01-01 23:22, edconline wrote:

edconline,

Awhile back, my friend at Oade said that the DA7100ES should have no problem passing a 1080p signal. But when I brought this up here, people said it was ridiculous because it wasn't in the specs and I made several people upset. I then said that it shouldn't be discounted until someone had actually tried it. Thanks for confirming that the DA7100ES will pass a 1080p signal.

Toli

Hey Maxx,

You are they only other person I know of that has auditioned an BDP-S1. If the 7100ES does pass 1080P, why didn't the store you auditioned it at try the cconnection through the HDMI inputs?

With a BDP-S1 and a 7100ES on the way, now I am curious. I was planning on running throught the 5.1 analog inputs. But now, I'm wondering what I should do.

Lyle
SNY4ME
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:53 pm

On 2007-01-02 20:34, SNY4ME wrote: If the 7100ES does pass 1080P, why didn't the store you auditioned it at try the connection through the HDMI inputs?

With a BDP-S1 and a 7100ES on the way, now I am curious. I was planning on running throught the 5.1 analog inputs. But now, I'm wondering what I should do.

Lyle- I don't know why they didn't run HDMI through the DA7100ES to the $30,000 Qualia 004 Projector.

I don't see why you couldn't run both the 1080p Video and 5.1 channel 16/48 Linear PCM Digital Audio via HDMI to the DA7100ES if you wanted to.

Please let us know how it goes as you pioneer using the DA7100ES with the BDP-S1 Blu Ray Player!

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Mdriver » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:52 pm

edconline,

I second that about the picture and the sound of the latest Sony. I have a KDS-R70XBR2 and I've been using the PS3 to play game and watch Blu-ray movies too. I hook up HDMI to TV and optical cable to my DA4ES. On some movies (or games), I could hear 5.1 or 7.1

I wanted to get the STR-DA5200ES, but I think the DA4ES is serving me fine so far.
Mdriver.
Mdriver
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by MrMoe » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:28 pm

My son brought his PS3 over and we did an a/b test against my 999es using Mission Impossible 3 DVD vs Blu-ray.  The video quality of the PS3 was a better with a little more detail, but the audio quality was at least 30% better.  I plan to get a PS3 just for the web browsing capability, it sold me in 5 min and I'm not a gamer.  I'm running a DA4es and 61" JVC HD-ILA.

MrMoe
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

Next

Return to Blu-Ray