[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - HD DVD Question

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:47 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - HD DVD Question

HD DVD Question

This forum addresses questions on Blu-Ray

Moderator: jttar

by procure0101 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:55 am

I am currently looking at buying a HD DVD player and needed to see if someone can answer some questions.

I currently have a Sony XBR960 and my receiver is a Sony 3000ES.  My TV has an HDMI input, but my receiver does not.  If I purchased the HD DVD plyer do I hook it up to the TV HDMI input, or would I hook it up utilizing the receiver's component video input?

If I have to hook it thru the TV can I still run the sound of the plyer thru the receiver??

I am very confused about this new format.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

procure0101
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by Toli » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:58 am

procure0101,

Sure, just run the HDMI to the TV and a digital optical (preferably a glass toslink) to the receiver.

Toli
Toli
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by procure0101 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:35 pm

Toli,

If I connect up the HDMI cable to the TV.   Will the sound signal still be available to plug into the receiver via a toslink cable, since the the sound would be carried thru the HDMI cable???

Thanks,

Brian  I
procure0101
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by Toli » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:14 pm

procure0101,

I have not personally tried it, but I soon will. I truely believe that there will not be a problem.

Toli
Toli
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Maxxwire » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:16 pm

On 2007-01-04 16:35, procure0101 wrote: Will the sound signal still be available to plug into the receiver via a toslink cable?

Brian- You will be able to get Lossy Compressed DD and DTS via Toslink, but not the Uncompressed 5.1 channel Linear PCM Digital Audio that is on HDMI.

You will be able to get the D/A converted version of the 5.1 channel Linear PCM Audio thru the 5.1 Multichannel Analog outputs of the BDPS-1 that you can use with your DA3000ES Receiver though.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by procure0101 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:06 am

On 2007-01-05 00:16, Maxxwire wrote:

On 2007-01-04 16:35, procure0101 wrote: Will the sound signal still be available to plug into the receiver via a toslink cable?

Brian- You will be able to get Lossy Compressed DD and DTS via Toslink, but not the Uncompressed 5.1 channel Linear PCM Digital Audio that is on HDMI.

You will be able to get the D/A converted version of the 5.1 channel Linear PCM Audio thru the 5.1 Multichannel Analog outputs of the BDPS-1 that you can use with your DA3000ES Receiver though.

~Maxx~

Maxx,

Thanks for the response.  I am not a very technical guy, so I am guessing by your response that I will be able to get some form of 5.1 surround sound to the receiver even if the HDMI cable is plugged into the TV.  

Also I am looking at buying the Toshibal HD DVD unit.

Thanks,

Brian
procure0101
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by OnlyESPlease » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:45 am

Procure, HD-DVD on a Sony fan site? Wow. You may want to reconsider your choice after seeing the dismal showing HD-DVD had at the CES this week. Consider Blu-Ray, a lot more future growth room and quite a bit more studio support.

Maxx is right. Connect the player to your reciever with analog 5.1 cables to take advantage of the player's decoding capabilities. Connect the hdmi cable to the tv to use for video only. Enjoy!
OnlyESPlease
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by maverick11359 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:49 pm

On 2007-01-05 10:06, procure0101 wrote:

On 2007-01-05 00:16, Maxxwire wrote:

~Maxx~

Maxx,

Thanks for the response.  I am not a very technical guy, so I am guessing by your response that I will be able to get some form of 5.1 surround sound to the receiver even if the HDMI cable is plugged into the TV.  

Also I am looking at buying the Toshibal HD DVD unit.

Thanks,

Brian

Gaday Brian,
               I Don't like to sound negative but check out reviews on the Toshiba before you buy .From memory a couple of months back they had a lot of bad reviews with freeze,not reading disc, all round alot of glitches.My advice wait till the second generation comes out if your set on
 HD-DVD's.

Cheers Maverick.
maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by videofiend » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:27 am

The XA1 is virtually problem free with the latest firmware update,. A quality player at a reasonable price.

TruHD audio on the few disk that have it, is excellent through 5.1 analog.

A 'slow' player admittedly, something that was improved to some degree with the latest firmware, and even more with the advent of the XA2 and A2 (no analog out) players.

Too avoid it only because it's not a Sony is rather narrow minded IMO.

I have a Sony display, and HD DVD disks look great on it!

As does the sound through the my B&K receiver.

I will not trash BD players, since I have no experience with them, and my selection of Toshiba was based on value as well as performance.

videofiend
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by maverick11359 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:59 pm

Gaday Videofiend,
               It's good to hear positive thoughts and progress with firmware upgrades for your XA1Toshiba HD-DVD player resolving  its glitches .
          Unfortunatley though those Toshiba customers out there that are not computer savy who purchased these units with out the knowledge of the Firmware upgrade will need help .These will be the casualtys Toshiba will have to contend with for probably releasing a unit a bit prematurely.
          I'll try to help by passing this positive advice  onto  my customers(about the Firmware upgrade) ,but usually their in the older age group and don't wont to know or worry, they just don't want hassels with their new Home Theatre HD systems I install.

I'll still probably will give them the advice that  it will be simpler to wait for 2nd , 3rd generation players to come out which will have the firmware upgrades already installed and hopefully be glitch free.

Cheers maverick  

maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

Next

Return to Blu-Ray