[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - can you play regular dvds with blu ray?

Advanced search
It is currently Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:41 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - can you play regular dvds with blu ray?

can you play regular dvds with blu ray?

This forum addresses questions on Blu-Ray

Moderator: jttar

by jocktheglide » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:04 am

can you play regular dvds with the blue ray player? just curious I dont know much about it...
jocktheglide
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by stanrozenfeld » Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:32 pm

According to the latest, the blu-ray players will be backwards compatible with regular dvds.  However, most, perhaps all of the first generation models will not play CDs.  The Toshiba hd dvd models also play hd dvd disks, regular DVDs and CDs.
stanrozenfeld
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by jocktheglide » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:47 pm

well damn I just noticed sony has a blue ray dvd player for only 999.99 retail and their ES sony 9100 is 1300 alone heck why buy the ES when blue ray is cheaper and is backwards compatibable. this blows I already bought the ES 9100.
jocktheglide
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by Toli » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:56 pm

jocktheglide,

The DVP-NS9100ES is an excellent player. While it doesn't play Blue-ray, it produces an excellent image and really great sound. And while the BDP-S1 is newer and Blue-ray, I feel pretty confident it probably isn't ES build quality and certainly doesn't come with a five year ES warranty, it only comes with a 1 year/90 day labor warranty.

Toli
Toli
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by stanrozenfeld » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:51 pm

I doubt that blu-ray player will have the same sort of discount that you can get for 9100ES if you shop around.

Also, no one knows how good the picture on blu-ray will be for upscaling dvds.  It's a big question mark if it will be as good as what you see coming out of 9100ES.

Finally, and for me most importantly, 9100ES is a first rate sacd/cd player.  The Blu-Ray player won't even play CDs, let alone SACDs.
stanrozenfeld
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Toli » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:14 am

On 2006-04-09 00:51, stanrozenfeld wrote:

1. Finally, and for me most importantly, 9100ES is a first rate sacd/cd player. 

2. The Blu-Ray player won't even play CDs, let alone SACDs.

stanrozenfeld,

1. Absolutely, I agree, no doubt about it. It can't be beat in it's price range.

2. The BDP-S1* won't play CD's, but the Toshiba HDXA1 and the Samsung BDP-1000 both play CDs, but apparently not SACDs.

*Although I heard that there was a delay in the release of the BDP-S1 and they are refining/upgrading it, or something like that. So it's possible some of the capabilities will change.

Toli
Toli
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

Return to Blu-Ray