[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - Blu-ray? HD-dvd?

Advanced search
It is currently Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:28 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Blu-ray? HD-dvd?

Blu-ray? HD-dvd?

This forum addresses questions on Blu-Ray

Moderator: jttar

by Maxxwire » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:56 am

John- What kind of atenna does it take to receive stations that are Off The Air?

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by jehill » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:35 am

That would be ones that captures signals from the past when the stations were "On the Air".
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by videofiend » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:32 am

On 2006-06-25 17:42, Maxxwire wrote:
After watching Toshiba's glitch ridden HD players get such a poor reception I don't blame Sony for being cautious about the release of their Blu Ray player.

~Maxx~

Well, S&V's A/V award might be seen as a sales promo..(would it still if Sony was selected?)

Toshiba has the edge in value, right off the bat with the latest XA-1 and XA-2 players... 1080i and 1080p respectively.

Plus, 5.1 analog audio out for TruHD on all models except the A2. And good upconversion quality for SD disks.

The best 1080i (XA-1) can be found from authorized dealers for around $400. The XA-2 at the XA-1's original price of $800.

Sony needs to get more competitive, esp. in price.

I was quite surprised with the advent of the PS3 they did not extract a basic machine in the $400-500 price range.

Probably would have been a bigger seller than PS3 has been recently.

videofiend
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by maverick11359 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:58 pm

On 2007-02-11 15:32, videofiend wrote:

On 2006-06-25 17:42, Maxxwire wrote:
After watching Toshiba's glitch ridden HD players get such a poor reception I don't blame Sony for being cautious about the release of their Blu Ray player.

~Maxx~

Well, S&V's A/V award might be seen as a sales promo..(would it still if Sony was selected?)

Toshiba has the edge in value, right off the bat with the latest XA-1 and XA-2 players... 1080i and 1080p respectively.

Plus, 5.1 analog audio out for TruHD on all models except the A2. And good upconversion quality for SD disks.

The best 1080i (XA-1) can be found from authorized dealers for around $400. The XA-2 at the XA-1's original price of $800.

Sony needs to get more competitive, esp. in price.

I was quite surprised with the advent of the PS3 they did not extract a basic machine in the $400-500 price range.

Probably would have been a bigger seller than PS3 has been recently.

Gaday Videofiend,
                         Interesting post 8 months late to bag Sony products .Maxx's comment is pretty well stamped all over the net concerning Toshiba's problems with their HD-DVD player.
   But where always open to others opinions here at agoraquest.

cheers maverick 

maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by videofiend » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:25 pm

Gaday Videofiend,
Interesting post 8 months late to bag Sony products .Maxx's comment is pretty well stamped all over the net concerning Toshiba's problems with their HD-DVD player.
But where always open to others opinions here at agoraquest.

cheers maverick

No real bagging going here. I am interested in a competitive and level playing field.

I see HD DVD proponents mostly as folks who see more 'value' in the product, technological differences aside. I am sure in a double-blind study, with camouflaged players, observers would judge both formats equal for the most part.

But flip over the tags and show them the price point as well as manufacturer, the room would divide accordingly.

I don't understand why one can not make that observation and still be considered impartial, but more practical.

If you have to have a Sony or Toshiba label on your product of choice, that is strictly a personal decision. But hardly changes the facts.

Does that mean I don’t appreciate technology advances by Sony? Hardly, but it is sad to say the Sony of old led by example and not by domination and intimidation I see today in Best Buy showrooms by sales people with limited knowledge steering folks in the direction of specific products and not giving them the lowdown of competitive components . And at $400 the XA1 is a great machine. It is not perfect, it is slow to load. That is the worst feature. As far as picture quality on an HD display, upconverted SD video, and digital or analog multi-channel audio quality, it is an excellent statement of the technolgoy.

I understand this is a Sony oriented forum, where folks go to have questions answered or problems resolved on Sony equipment.. And within this scope it serves as an excellent medium. But knocking other products because of problems as a way to raise the status of your preference is cheap at best. We don't have to get into various Sony problems with some product lines. If you read my first post carefully you will see I as well as others, I'm sure, would have gone the BD route if a more full featured machine was offered at a reasonable price.

Let the products stand on their own merit. Time will tell which will stand over the long haul. And I am someone who always preferred the A/V quality of Beta over the extended time of VHS.

videofiend
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

Previous

Return to Blu-Ray