[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - Blu-ray? HD-dvd?

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:16 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Blu-ray? HD-dvd?

Blu-ray? HD-dvd?

This forum addresses questions on Blu-Ray

Moderator: jttar

by mikeyw » Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:39 pm

Will blu-ray look better with sony televisions or hd-dvd? or am i asking a question that cant be answered yet?
PS3 from sony will include blu-ray but will it actually matter?
Since it is from sony will it have better picture quality on sony televisions?
It would be alot cheaper goin with ps3 than xbox 360 due to blu-ray{better investment?}
BLU-RAY or HD-DVD?
mikeyw
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Toli » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:56 am

On 2006-04-01 18:39, mikeyw wrote:
1. Will blu-ray look better with sony televisions or hd-dvd? or am i asking a question that cant be answered yet?
2. PS3 from sony will include blu-ray but will it actually matter?
3. Since it is from sony will it have better picture quality on sony televisions?
4. It would be alot cheaper goin with ps3 than xbox 360 due to blu-ray{better investment?}
BLU-RAY or HD-DVD?

mikeyw,

1.  They will both look the same, the difference is the storage capacity. HD-DVD can hold 30GB (which is more than enough for a full movie, including director's cuts, etc.) and Blu-ray can hold up to like 50GB. Do we really need more than what HD-DVD is offering? Unless we needed to have a series of DVDs, say...on less discs. I personally haven't decided, but I don't see that right now.

2. It depends on what you mean by matter. For example, so far the Sony Blu-ray player soon to be released can't play CD Audio discs, but the Samsung BD-P1000 can. Is that an important issue to you? Personally, I don't want a stand alone CD player as I don't listen to  much music (I mostly watch DVDs).

3. No I don't think so, it should be about the same.

4. It would be cheaper to go with the PS3, if you want it to play games and DVDs as well. But, a stand alone DVD player would probably produce better quality results. The question of a better investment, that would be debatable. Unless you add the cost of a stand alone CD player, then it becomes even more debateable.

Toli

Toli
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Toli » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:03 am

mikeyw,

Also, HD-DVDs carry the same basic structure as current DVDs, so converting the existing DVD manufacturing to HD-DVD wouldn't be as difficult as it would be to Blu-ray. Even if Blu-ray is really needed and the better format, do you remember Beta with it's superior sound and picture? It still lost out to VHS.....

Toli  
Toli
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Maxxwire » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:11 pm

On 2006-04-01 18:39, mikeyw wrote: PS3 from sony will include blu-ray but will it actually matter?

You will need to have a TV capable of 1080p resolution to find out.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by mikeyw » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:36 pm

So when PS3 is released ur television set will have to offer 1080p res. to use Blu-ray?
Will all tv sets have to offer 1080p to use blu-ray or hd-dvd?
ALSO: Whats the best reciever up to date and for future use to purchase at a reasonable price for us people who on are on a budget?
mikeyw
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Toli » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:27 am

On 2006-04-04 03:36, mikeyw wrote:
1. So when PS3 is released ur television set will have to offer 1080p res. to use Blu-ray?
2. Will all tv sets have to offer 1080p to use blu-ray or hd-dvd?
3. ALSO: Whats the best reciever up to date and for future use to purchase at a reasonable price for us people who on are on a budget?

mikeyw,

1. No, but also Refer to answer 2.

2. For example on the soon to be released Sony BDP-S1-No, but to use the 1080p signal it is available through the HDMI output only. Although the 720p and 1080i signals are available through HDMI or component video.

3. It depends, the supposed 1080p capable receivers haven't been released yet. And what price range would you be considering for a new receiver?

Toli

Toli
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Maxxwire » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:06 am

On 2006-04-04 03:36, mikeyw wrote: Whats the best reciever up to date and for future use to purchase at a reasonable price for us people who on are on a budget?

It will probably take a while before 1080p HDMI switching to appear on the less expensive models since not even the top of the line Sony Receivers are currently equipped with it.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by edconline » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:45 am

Maxx,
Where did you get the info that the 7100ES does not support 1080p switching? When I spoke with a technician RE: this issue on the phone he said that although it was not mentioned in the manual, the 7100ES would support 1080p pass through. Also, on the HDMI site it does state that every version of the HDMI spec supported 1080p/60Hz.
http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/faq.asp
This means that it is only the HDMI 1.3 specs ability to pass the new uncompressed audio formats that is desired of new receivers. Hopefully this is why we haven't seen the STRDA9100ES in North America yet, it would be awesome if they waited and included the 1.3 spec so that it was truly an next generation receiver.
Ed
edconline
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by Toli » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:06 am

On 2006-04-05 14:45, edconline wrote:
Maxx,
Where did you get the info that the 7100ES does not support 1080p switching?
Ed

edconline,

Maxx and I went back and forth in another thread on this very subject. It's because Sony doesn't say the DA7100ES will support pass through of 1080p and it doesn't say anything about it in the manual. Also, in the Audioholics review, in the con section of the review, said it supported only up to 1080i. Therefore they assumed it doesn't support 1080p. I emailed them about that, and they said that at the time they didn't have a monitor that supported a 1080p incoming signal, so they hadn't actually tried it. It certainly seems to me, like the DA7100ES should allow the 1080p pass through.

Toli
Toli
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Maxxwire » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:17 pm

Toli- Yet again you have answered a question that was specifically directed to me. I consider this very rude behavior and I hope that you will not continue to do this.

I do not live on the computer like you do so I may not be able to respond immediately to a question directed to me, but I try to answer as time permits.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

Next

Return to Blu-Ray