[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - modifier recommendations

Advanced search
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:46 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - modifier recommendations

modifier recommendations

This forum is where you can give tips or talk about building your own stuff

Moderator: jttar

by mykyll2727 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:16 am

In the past 2-3 yrs our hobby has lost two if it's best modmen to retirement. First was the legendary Richard Kearns of Audiomod and more recently Matt Anker of SACD mods.com. Both guys were real gentleman and great to deal with. Very helpful and accomodating. I have 2 of Matt's modded units and am thrilled with his work. I ask because I'm toying with the idea of having my SCD-XA9000ES modded. In fact I planned on getting a XA9kES and having Richard mod it but was unable to acquire one before he retired.  I  contacted Matt about a custom mod was going to have him do it but again was unable to arrange it before he quit the biz.

I'm not interested in a tube mod just a great SS mod to upgrade the unit's performance, and I'm not at all interested in replacing it. Aside from ModWright and Chris Johnson ( not interested in shipping my unit to Canada) does anyone have any recommendations/experiences with a great modman? Thanks_mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by Maxxwire » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:51 pm

Finding another Sony Audio equipment Modification Tech as devoted to the level of detail put into his work as Richard Kern did will be quite a rigorous task.  

I certainly do miss the many different occasions at the local Audio shop where I spent hours listening to Richard Kern talk about the intricacies of the Sony Audio equipment Modification procedures that he had become famous around the world for.

From what Richard told me the greatest secret to the success of his highly renown Modifications of Sony Digital front ends was that he would hand measure and value match each and every single Black Gate capacitor (Richard's favorite brand) to be used in the Mod because as he put it most Audio Techs use parts according to their labeled values and don't take the time to meticulously measure the value of each and every individual capacitor. I have always considered this as the greatest  and most uncompromising devotion to detail that I had ever heard of in the world of Modding Sony Audio equipment considering that Richard is legally blind.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by mykyll2727 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Maxx_As you know I had several conversations on the phone with Richard and he is truly a class act. His work will be sorely missed in our hobby and indeed difficult to replace._mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by mykyll2727 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:19 pm

I've heard some very good things about the Upgrade Company and have decided to give them a shot. My intention is to give one of their modded pre/pros a try because of some communication with them and Welwynnick coupled with the fact that they offer a buy back guarantee. If I'm pleased with the pre I'll have them do a mod to the XA9kES. I'll report back on the results._mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

Return to Do It Yourself Home Theater