[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - Stand for 2 channel audio

Advanced search
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:28 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Stand for 2 channel audio

Stand for 2 channel audio

This forum is where you can give tips or talk about building your own stuff

Moderator: jttar

by mykyll2727 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:24 am

David_S_Beautiful job on your stand!!! I wish I had your expertise. That's some system!!!

What connectors are you planning on using for your interconnects?_Mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by David_S » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:11 pm

On 2011-06-26 12:24, mykyll2727 wrote:
David_S_Beautiful job on your stand!!! I wish I had your expertise. That's some system!!!

What connectors are you planning on using for your interconnects?_Mykl

These are what I am using for now.

I have to shorten the shield & enlarge it's hole for the Furutech FA-13S wire.

They are marketed by CirCuit City.  They are well made & have good gold plating.  I have not been able to find information on the base metal.

I already had a bunch of these hand from purchases before I started buying this type of audio accessory on line.  Using what I already had does not add to my current expenses.  Upgrading these connectors is an easy task to do in the future.

-----------------
TA- E77ES E1000ESD N77ES F555ES
RM- AV3000 AX1400 (2)AX4000
SDP-EP9ES, ST-S730ES
STR-DA4ES, STR-DA3100ES
DVP- (3)NS999ES NS3100ES CX777ES
CDP-X303ES, CDP-CX88ES
MDS-JA20ES, TC-K717ES, DTC-690
Pioneer CLD-3090 Laserdisc

TA- N77ES, E77ES, E80ES, E9000ES
STR- GX10ES, DA4ES, DA5700ES
DVP- NS999ES
HAP-S1, MDS-JA20ES, ST-S730ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by mykyll2727 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:21 pm

Cool! Please let us know how they work out. Maybe you'll post some pics when you have your cables finished._mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by Maxxwire » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:33 pm

David_S- I know a cable maker who drills a hole through the positive post of the RCA termination and then feeds the wire all the way to the end and solders it right at the tip of the plug. He let me take home 2 otherwise identical pairs of Analog interconnects which had only one difference and that was how he soldered one pair as I just described and it was amazing how much better the Analog wires which were soldered at the tips of their RCA plugs sounded and he was only using spec grade Copper wire and I would imagine there would be much more of a benefit with the fine quality Furutech FA-13S wire that you are using.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by mykyll2727 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:21 am

Maxx_I'm assuming the difference in SQ stems from not having the base metal of the connector between the tip and the wire. If that's the case I'm surprised that connector manufacturers haven't used the design in their connectors. I'm wondering if an all copper or silver connector of usual design wouldn't have similar results as the direct to pin design._mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by David_S » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:44 pm

I will try to get a picture of a completed cable this weekend.

Drilling out the positive pin of the RCA connector sounds like an interesting concept.  That would closely resemble the design of 75 ohm coax for satellite or cable TV use.

I will try to see if I can drill the positive pin that accurately.  The Furutech FA-13S wire I am using is 8 mm diameter.  Many RCA conectors only accept cables up to 7.3 mm diameter.  I might not be able to acceptably modify other connectors to accept the 8 mm diameter Furutech FA-13S wire.

DVP- NS999ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by mykyll2727 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:00 pm

Looking forward to the pics!_mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by Maxxwire » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:45 am

On 2011-06-29 01:44, David_S wrote:
I will try to get a picture of a completed cable this weekend.

Drilling out the positive pin of the RCA connector sounds like an interesting concept.  That would closely resemble the design of 75 ohm coax for satellite or cable TV use.

I will try to see if I can drill the positive pin that accurately.  The Furutech FA-13S wire I am using is 8 mm diameter.  Many RCA connectors only accept cables up to 7.3 mm diameter.  I might not be able to acceptably modify other connectors to accept the 8 mm diameter Furutech FA-13S wire.

If you can figure out a way to make it work with the Furutech wire drilling the RCAs and soldering them on the tips could bring an amazing improvement in that my friend was only using  low grade Copper wire in the Analog interconnect he tried this method of termination on.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by David_S » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:25 pm

These are pictures of my modified RCA connectors and a completed cable with Furutech FA-13S wire.

The bottom connector is original non-modified.  The top 2 are shortened & the end hole enlarged to accomodate the Furutech FA-13S wire.  The middle connector is completed with the Furutech FA-13S wire soldered in place & shield attached.

Completed interconnect with modified RCA connectors & Furutech FA-13S wire.  This cable 66 cm (26") long.  An advantage of DIY cables is correct length, of the shelf interconnects are normally only available in 1 meter multiples.  These RCA connectors do not seem to be available with white color coding.  I remove original color stripes from connectors used for the Left channel & paint the stripe indentation white.

Per information fron Maxx, I tried drilling the center pin of a couple RCA connectors to test running the interconnect wire to the end of the center pin.  So far unsuccessful, the small 1/16" drifts sideways before reaching the end of the center pin.

The Furutech FA-13S wire is a significant improvement over what I was previously using.  There is more subtle detail throughout the audio range & a significant improvement in the strength of the bas.

I get incredibly rich, detailed sound from the ES jukebox players.  Glass toslink from the ES jukebox CD players to the EP9ES & Furutech FA-13S wire from the EP9ES to the E77ES & Furutech FA-13S wire from the TA-E77ES to the TA-N77ES are used.  All the rear panel RCA jacks involved are Vampire CM2F-OFC.

-----------------
TA- E77ES E1000ESD N77ES F555ES
RM- AV3000 AX1400 (2)AX4000
SDP-EP9ES, ST-S730ES
STR-DA4ES, STR-DA3100ES
DVP- (3)NS999ES NS3100ES CX777ES
CDP-X303ES, CDP-CX88ES
MDS-JA20ES, TC-K717ES, DTC-690
Pioneer CLD-3090 Laserdisc

DVP- NS999ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:58 am

David_S- Transparent Audio also chose annealed Copper conductors for the $1,100 Transparent Music Link Ultra Analog interconnects that I use in my Vacuum Tube Audio System. The annealed Copper conductors in your new Fututech FA-13S Analog interconnects should sound  particularly good with this same kind of conductor. I know that the Transparent Ultras with their annealed Copper conductors are by far the best sounding Analog interconnects that I have ever heard in my Audio System.

~Maxx~

-----------------
A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

... The Sony DB 930 Legend Continues

Sony H-9 MaxxPix

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

PreviousNext

Return to Do It Yourself Home Theater