[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - Stand for 2 channel audio

Advanced search
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:05 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Stand for 2 channel audio

Stand for 2 channel audio

This forum is where you can give tips or talk about building your own stuff

Moderator: jttar

by David_S » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:22 pm

On 2011-03-09 06:40, parney wrote:
Fantastic job I really like your design very well thought out.I might try and build one this summer your project is a great inspiration you shoul be proud of yourself.Just one question did you use a router to finish the edges of the shelves?

I do have a router but did not use it for this stand.

The curved corners were first cut with the sabre saw, then sanded to a smooth curve with the belt sander.  Sanding a smooth curve with a hand held belt sander takes some practice and a small radius is easier than a large radius.  You feel for imperfections by running your fingers along the radius of the curve.  You can feel imperfections that you cannot see.

I take the "sharpness" off the shelf edge by "rolling" the orbital sander over the shelf edge when I am sanding the shelf surface.

I am guessing that you have woodworking experience.  If so then I definately encourage you to build your own.  Please post your work if you do.

TA- N77ES, E77ES, E80ES, E9000ES
STR- GX10ES, DA4ES, DA5700ES
DVP- NS999ES
HAP-S1, MDS-JA20ES, ST-S730ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by David_S » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:35 pm

On 2011-03-09 21:28, jttar wrote:
David,

What a fun thread this is. A real pleasure watching the progress and the finished product is absolutely stunning.

You have mine and many others respect, admiration and most of all thanks for including us in your project. Can't wait to see it filled with components.

Joe

I have started putting some components on the stand & will post more photos when it is "filled" up & wires connected.

Here is a start.

I have read reviews of commercially produced stands having holes for cable management too high above the shelves.  Cables through these holes were visible above short components.  I remembered those complaints and put the holes for cable management down close to shelf level.

DVP- NS999ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by mhedges » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:47 am

On 2011-03-10 02:35, David_S wrote:

I have read reviews of commercially produced stands having holes for cable management too high above the shelves.  Cables through these holes were visible above short components.  I remembered those complaints and put the holes for cable management down close to shelf level.

Really first rate work.  Very nice!

My issue with cable management on commercial stands was that the shelves were not deep enough.  The only way to fit larger components (Like my N80ES)  on and still use the cable holes was to kink and contort the cables in impossible angles, which I wasn't going to do.  So I just took those pieces out of the stand so that the back was open.

Mark
mhedges
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by David_S » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:19 pm

Thanks to everyone for the comments and feedback.  I will post some more pictures when the stand is filled with components & wiring connected.

Mark-shelf depth was an issue when I was hunting for a stand.  Few current stands can accomodate deeper components, many of those stands can only accomodate deeper components on the bottom shelf.

DVP- NS999ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by jehill » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:49 pm

We can hardly wait!  I look forward to your updates!
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by mykyll2727 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:34 pm

Ditto for me. Fantastic job!!!_mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by David_S » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:22 pm

The stand is not against the same wall as the speakers these components will use.  I just completed in wall wiring for speaker wires.  This wiring goes down through the crawl space.

The length that went down through the crawlspace is 6 meters.  This is 10 gauge solid wire, which is very stiff wire to use.  I separated both wire pairs into 4 individual wires for the length in the crawl space.  The 4 separate wires are tacked to the underside of the floor joists, occupying a path that is about 8" wide.

DVP- NS999ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by David_S » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:53 pm

The stand is fully filled now.

I am thinking about replacing the DVP-NS999ES in the upper right with a MDS-JA20ES.  There are also more upgrades to do for the interconnects, I will post a photo of the back wiring when it is more complete.

Long term plans (probably a couple years from now) are replacing the jukebox CD players with a laptop computer as a music server.  I want to try making wood side panels for the EP9ES in the near future.

DVP- NS999ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:30 pm

David_S- What a great job you did on this equipment stand! It is now apparent that with this unique stand design in mind why you were not satisfied with any of the commercial offerings. Having the Panamax M5400-PM for the Power Management all of your fine Sony Audio equipment with their new Hubbell AC plugs is also a commensurate upgrade for the performance of your gear.

~Maxx~

Explore The New Sony MaxxPix  

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by David_S » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:25 pm

I am upgrading more of the analog audio interconnect cables in the 2-channel stand to Furutech Alpha-OFC FA-13S cable.

I have previously upgraded the analog audio interconnect cables from the TA-E77ES to the TA-N77ES and from the DVP-S9000ES to the TA-E77ES to Furutech FA-13S.  Now I will be upgrading the cables from the CDP-X303ES & from the SDP-EP9ES to Furutech FA-13S.

DVP- NS999ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Do It Yourself Home Theater