[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - Stand for 2 channel audio

Advanced search
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:19 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Stand for 2 channel audio

Stand for 2 channel audio

This forum is where you can give tips or talk about building your own stuff

Moderator: jttar

by David_S » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:29 pm

I have given up on finding a audio stand that comes close to my needs for the bulk of my 2 channel setup.  I am not sure about the time frame to completion, but will post information & progress here.

The Salamander Archetype 5.0 stand that Maxx unit uses is an execelent design but does not quite suit my needs.

Salamander Archetype 5.0, image previously posted by Maxx.

Some comments Maxx made about the Salamander Archetype 5.0 design gave me ideas about the construction method that I will use.

The stand will have 5 shelves, fixed distance between shelves.  Shelf size will be 48"x20".  It will be made from 100% lumber, except for fasteners.  The stand will have 6 castors, load rating 150 lbs per castor & the stand will have a black finish.

Ends of 48"x20" edge laminated solid pine for shelves.
-----------------
TA- E77ES E1000ESD N77ES F555ES
RM- AV3000 AX1400 (2)AX4000
SDP-EP9ES, ST-S730ES
STR-DA4ES, STR-DA3100ES
DVP- (3)NS999ES NS3100ES CX777ES
CDP-X303ES, CDP-CX88ES
MDS-JA20ES, TC-K717ES, DTC-690
Pioneer CLD-3090 Laserdisc

Audio Rack Photo Update by Maxxwire

TA- N77ES, E77ES, E80ES, E9000ES
STR- GX10ES, DA4ES, DA5700ES
DVP- NS999ES
HAP-S1, MDS-JA20ES, ST-S730ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by TMC » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:22 pm

Hi,

I surely will follow this thread David!

We´re in the same situation looking for a nice and necessary need of a stand that both suite the looks and the style of the ES-series when they were delivered with the loved rosewoods panels!!!

TMC
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by David_S » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:46 am

On 2011-01-15 19:22, TMC wrote:
Hi,

I surely will follow this thread David!

We´re in the same situation looking for a nice and necessary need of a stand that both suite the looks and the style of the ES-series when they were delivered with the loved rosewoods panels!!!

This stand will have a mix of units with & without wood side panels.  I like the excellent job Gerchy has done on putting wood sides on some of his newer units.  Examples can be found on his site.  I would like to try this sometime in the future.

DVP- NS999ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by David_S » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:57 am

Pieces that will be vertical spacers/supports between shelves.

The round stock is 1 1/2" diameter, the boards are 3/4" thick x 5 1/2" wide.  Five round pieces & 2 boards will be between each shelf.

There will be 4 more vertical boards at the back for support & cable management.  These are not pictured yet.

DVP- NS999ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:11 am

David_S- Is that solid oak that you will be using for your new equipment stand? This is what Mike Vans Evers who does Resonance Tuning for a number of Symphony Orchestras by custom designing Resonance Tuned wooden stands for Cellos...

"Oak: This popular American coarse-textured wood is available at most large lumber stores; it is available in both red and white varieties. The enhancement area of common Home Depot red oak is in the upper midrange. There is a de-emphasis in the upper-bass/lower-midrange, and the highs are extended and smooth."

It sounds as though your fine classic Sony equipment which you have so painstakingly outfitted with high quality Pure Copper i/o's and upgraded their power cords with Hubbell Hospital Grade ac plugs will soon have a custom built stand which will enhance their sound quality even further!

~Maxx~

Explore The New Sony MaxxPix

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by David_S » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:29 pm

No it is not oak.  I am painting the entire unit black.  I think it would criminal to paint oak.

The round stock is hemlock, the short flat boards are fir.  As stated earlier, the 20x48 slelves are edge laminated pine lumber.  Hopefully the different characteristics of the 3 wood types will have a cancelling effect on different resonant vibrations.

I recently read that walnut is also good for audio stands.

I have worked with both red & white oak.  I used to do cabinetmaking before changing careers over 20 years ago.

I moved & have less space than I did then but still have almost all my tools & quite a lot of hardwood lumber (red oak, cherry walnut, ash, some teak).  My table & radial arm saws are 220V & I do not have 220 wired in my garage yet.

A black walnut audio cabinet I built for someone about 25 years ago.

The doors, drawer front & trim are solid black walnut, not laminate.  The plywood shelves are North American veneer, not from logs sent to Asia & peeled there.  North American veneer was much thicker.  3/4" plywood with North American Black Walnut veneer was $125.00/sheet then.

The stand I am now building for myself will not be this elaborate.

DVP- NS999ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by parney » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:29 pm

If you want something done right do it yourself.Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
parney
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by David_S » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:07 pm

On 2011-01-18 16:29, parney wrote:
If you want something done right do it yourself.Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I am also fortunate enough to be able to do it myself.

DVP- NS999ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by David_S » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:10 pm

Threaded fittings & dowels now glued onto ends of shelf spacers.

These pieces are ready to be sanded for painting.

DVP- NS999ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by David_S » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:42 pm

First coat of paint on shelf spacers.

These will be painted with at least 3, maybe 4 coats.

The small nails on top of the pieces are temporary to aid handling during painting.

DVP- NS999ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

Next

Return to Do It Yourself Home Theater