[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Blown Subwoofer Amp

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:30 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Blown Subwoofer Amp

Blown Subwoofer Amp

This forum is where you can give tips or talk about building your own stuff

Moderator: jttar

by Skytrooper » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:19 am

My Paradigm PW2100 subwoofer amp blew out for the second time. The first time it was covered by warranty. The power supply is bad. I expressed my displeasure with switching power supplies in another thread long ago. Anyways, I have a Carver TFM-45 Amp in my attic that can be bridged for mono. What would happen if I connected it to the LFE out on my DA4-ES and directly to the speaker on my sub?
Skytrooper
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by lemoncadillac » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:49 am

Skytrooper

" What would happen if I connected it to the LFE out on my DA4-ES and directly to the speaker on my sub?"

You will have a working subwoofer.  A SPL meter would be helpful in adjusting the level.

Lemon

lemoncadillac
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Skytrooper » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:11 pm

Thanks, L-Cad. I'll give it a try this weekend.

Skytrooper
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by RickeyM » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:56 am

Two things you may want to check first. Is the speaker in the sub a 4-ohm unit & can your amp drive a 4-ohm load when bridged to mono? If your TFM-45 is only rated to handle an 8-ohm load in mono, driving a 4-ohm sub with it bridged wouldn't be good.

If need be, I don't think it'd hurt anything to drive the Paradigm off of one channel of the Carver.

RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Skytrooper » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:36 am

My Carver amp started acting up. A quick check of the woofer with my ohm meter showed 0 ohms. Took apart the sub & looking at the back of the woofer I found the bare wires from the speaker terminal to the woofer cone were shorted together. Separated them & things are wonderful again. This intermittent short obviously blew out the prior sub amps. I have since repaired the original amp. A lesson learned. Look at the obvious things. The Carver amp bridged for mono is awesome. Debating whether if I should just use it instead of letting it sit in the attic.
Skytrooper
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by Skytrooper » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:22 am

Well, got tired of having an extra amp hooked to my woofer. Just got a Sunfire HRS-12 sub & am very happy with it. Ka-Boom! This thing really rocks.
Skytrooper
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by jttar » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:04 pm

Hello Skytrooper,

Congratulations on your new Sunfire HRS-12! Although I have not experienced it first hand I have read nothing but great reviews on this sub.

Happy to hear that you found the cause of your previous sub amps problems. Now you are faced with what to do with it. Hate to see it sit in the attic. Have you considered going x.2?

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Skytrooper » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:46 am

Yes, I have. I don't know what the wife would think though. I was suprised she let me buy the new woofer. I am a comm. technician for a railroad and am going to retire in 19 months. I am then going to build a new room (16 X 20) or larger dedicated to sound. I'll probably go X.2 then.
Skytrooper
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by jttar » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:42 pm

Skytrooper,

Retirement in 19 months, now that IS cool. I sure hope that you share plenty of pictures of dedicated sound room in progress. I love pictures.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Skytrooper » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:09 am

jttar

After 33 years, Im ready to go. Anyhow, when the time comes for the new room, I will attempt to post pictures. I hope it's easy to do. I have trouble doing things like that on a computer. I have attempted many times to become a premium member on this site, but something happens when I get to the pay pal part. My son started an account there and it won't let me do anything. Too scared to mess with it. Also, the wife has not said no to the Challenger SRT-8 I may get at retirement time.

Another Joe
Skytrooper
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

Next

Return to Do It Yourself Home Theater