[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - It was just a cap bypass until things got out of hand...

Advanced search
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:26 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - It was just a cap bypass until things got out of hand...

It was just a cap bypass until things got out of hand...

This forum is where you can give tips or talk about building your own stuff

Moderator: jttar

by RickeyM » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:07 pm

<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
What started out as a "cap bypass" in the crossovers of some Infinity speakers turned into a cap rebuild/foam surround replace/enclosure renovate.
Here are the stock x-o's

In these (Infinity Sterling series), the tweeter are flat sounding so I bypassed the stock cap with a Dayton film & foil and the tweets brightened up a bit. Having some spare parts around and knowing how important the x-o is, a "cap swap" became a "x-over rebuild". What was a cheap resistor inline with the tweeter became a proper L-pad with quality resistors. Out came the stock eletrolytic tweeter cap and in went a paper-in-oil cap with a film & foil bypass. Replacing the woofer's iron core inductor is a nice Jantzen air core. Even the Zobel got upgraded with Dayton parts. Along the way, the woofer's foam surrounds began to crumble so they had to be replaced too.
Here they are all fresh and new

The stock enclosures have been ported and dowels added for bracing. I even re-glued the interior joints to improve the weak job done at the factory.

Of course the stock terminals simply would not do. These are very easy to connect wires to

The result is a speaker that's much better that the original. Bass is deeper and hits harder. The mids are very clear and detailed. The Polycell tweeters have gotten a bad rap for being harsh & brittle sounding, but with a good filter network, they really shine. Clear and clean, but they won't hesitate to reveal a bad recording.

In a lot of cases,  retail speakers are blessed with good drivers but held back by crossovers made on-the-cheap or flimsy cabs. It's up to us DIY'ers to correct this whenever we can   .  
RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by maverick11359 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:34 pm

G'day Rickey,
 Thanks for the insight into your crossover upgrade.Have you thought about replacing the porceline resistors with metal oxide ones (MOX).I completely agree with you "x overs" can make or brake the sound quality and many cheap speaker manufactures probably which they could install higher quality crossovers but they work to a budget,so it's up to us to rectify that situation by DIY.

Did you replace the woolfers foam surround yourself?

Mav' 
maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by RickeyM » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Hi Mav,
When you say "metal oxide" resistors, do you mean ones like these ? Once I have the proper value locked in, I'm planning on installing Mills resistors in place of the conventional wire wound resistors I had on hand.

I replaced the foam surrounds myself and it was not difficult at all. Cleaning off the old foam & glue was a chore tho'.

I had planned to use some Dayton caps (Parts Express), but DIY HiFi supply made a mistake and sent the wrong caps on an order for another project. Since they were the right value I needed for this project, I took it as a sign, paid for 'em and here we are. The caps are rather big (Obbligato paper-in-oil's), but I'm making it work and they sound great.

The crossovers will be mounted in external boxes when I'm done.
Tweeter section:
Obbligato and Theta caps
18 gauge Erse air core inductors
Resistors from Dayton and Madisound
Woofer section:
Resistors & poly caps by Dayton
Air core inductors by Jantzen

The new speaker terminals will also let me to use the MIT Terminator-2 speaker wires I have too    .

RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by maverick11359 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:11 am

G'day Rickey,
                  The MOX resistors I was refering to were the ones i used from http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/c/Metal-Oxide-Resistors/Metal+Oxide.html in my external x over project a couple of years back ,they also have mundorf resistors now http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/c/Mundorf-Supreme-Resistors/MRESIST+Supreme.html... Everywhere I turn people are using MIT speaker cables or power leads,I'm even starting to think of trying some myself ,what's the average cost of your  Terminator-2 's .

Cheers Mav'
maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by RickeyM » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:03 am

Since these speakers aren't an all out effort, I'm just going to drop some Mills resistors in there & enjoy them.

The Terminator 2's were aquired in a barter arrangement so I didn't buy them outright. Oddly enough, I didn't like them on my Maggies ant that's why they've been sitting in the closet for a year.
RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Elderion » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:26 am

Hi Rickey,

Nice work!  How are the MIT  wires working for you?

I used Mills resistors and Obbligatos in my Dynaudio Audience crossover upgrades as well and they do sound very nice.  The MOX resistors are probably another notch up.  I am still using the stock wires and haven't decided on which wires to use.  Please let me know if you have a recommendation.  I'm thinking a viable option are some Neotech 3003.  I'm also thingking of upgrading the iron core inductors to film versions at a later date.  This is my Audience 82 crossover:

Elderion
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Maxxwire » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:38 am

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Elderion » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:02 pm

Thanks, Maxx!

It's been over 4 years now and I'm still really happy with these speakers, especially with the upgraded crossovers.  The guys at Dynaudio and Sonicraft were real helpful with my project.  Nice bunch of guys at great companies.

Also, thanks for helping me with the Mogami wires and copper RCA sockets awhile back.  I got a chance to install the Mogami with a Vampire RCA socket in the Behringer EP2500 and they really brought the amp to life.  I will try to put up some pics of the upgrades in Rickey's EP1500 thread later with some feedback information.

Take care,

Eld

Elderion
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by maroon » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:49 pm

On 2009-03-31 10:26, Elderion wrote:
Hi Rickey,

I used Mills resistors and Obbligatos in my Dynaudio Audience crossover upgrades as well and they do sound very nice.  The MOX resistors are probably another notch up.  I am still using the stock wires and haven't decided on which wires to use.  Please let me know if you have a recommendation.  I'm thinking a viable option are some Neotech 3003.  I'm also thingking of upgrading the iron core inductors to film versions at a later date.  This is my Audience 82 crossover:

maroon
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by Pmike » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:04 am

Hello to all,

I have the audience 82 I'm very happy with them but I believe that upgrading the crossover will be achieved much better sound.

Since you already have experience can you please give me some advices?

@Elderion,

how Dynaudio and Sonicraft guys helped you?

Many thanks in advance.

On 2009-03-31 10:26, Elderion wrote:
Hi Rickey,

Pmike
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

Next

Return to Do It Yourself Home Theater