[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - Replace your steel screws for brass

Advanced search
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:10 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Replace your steel screws for brass

Replace your steel screws for brass

This forum is where you can give tips or talk about building your own stuff

Moderator: jttar

by maverick11359 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:29 pm

G'day all,
            I purchased the 72 Brass screws , not easy to come across as i first thought .

I ended up with the same looking brass slot head brass screws as the guy in the video clip. 

I couldn't wait for a torque wrench screwdriver I had to see if they made any difference.

Well , to quote an old aussie Saying "Drop me in a desert and call me sandy"

I replaced one speaker first and tried out a stereo cd .The Right speaker I brass screwed was noticeable more dynamic than its opposite .So i reversed left and right analog interconnects to check it wasn't the Disc/recording .No  definitley the speakers . So i replaced the steel screws with brass in it's Left brother ,,,absolutely amazing !! the left speaker matches the dynamics and explosive attack drive of the right if anything I can detect a very slight difference of even more  brilliance .... This obviously means I need that Torque wrench to tweek both speakers ..... I've got my  trade store (where I picked up the brass screws) searching one down for me .

All in  what a cheap jaw dropping tweek ,the screws cost a total of $9.00.

Mav'
maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Maxxwire » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:44 pm

On 2008-08-06 16:29, dahrich wrote:
Just trying to be helpful with some "out side the box" thinking.

Regards,
Richard

Richard- This whole Tweak that Maverick has discovered is so far outside the box that the entire speaker manufacturing industry seems to have remained totally ignorant of it over the entire 70+ years since the patents were issued on the technology that most speakers are made with.

~Maxx~  

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by dahrich » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:29 pm

Hello:
Well, I tried the brass screw thing.  Didn't use a torque wrench and only did one speaker to see if I could notice a difference.  I think I did notice a difference, not too great but it was there.  However, the speaker with the brass screws didn't seem as bright and the  higher notes seemed attenuated.
Conlusion, I didn't like the change and put the old screws back in.

Regards,
richard
dahrich
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by maverick11359 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:49 pm

On 2008-08-09 21:29, dahrich wrote:
Hello:
Well, I tried the brass screw thing.  Didn't use a torque wrench and only did one speaker to see if I could notice a difference.  I think I did notice a difference, not too great but it was there.  However, the speaker with the brass screws didn't seem as bright and the  higher notes seemed attenuated.
Conlusion, I didn't like the change and put the old screws back in.

Regards,
richard

G'day Richard,
                    Well like most things theirs the initial wow factor and after a weekend of different music on and off and replacing 100 steel screws (5 speakers)with brass screws costing $12.90 I too have came to the same conclusion ,it increases Mids and  bass volume which backed of the high notes on the sound stage.The stereo cd's I first tried last week were harsh rock and roll with bright electric guitar riffs , but after playing my favourite DVD-A Diana Krall with dominant double bass backing her piano and voice ,I too realized that my highs were attenuated .

My surround Hi Rez system with no colouration avaliabe on Multichannel was very very mid bass dominate ,so out came exactly 100 brass srews and backin with the steel screws.

I'm still thinking of trying the brass screws in my three subys, but I'll A-B test one first,the front right suby against its twin brother on the front left first.

I THINK ! I have a few Brass screws hanging around somewhere to give it ago  (LOL).

Mav'

maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by dahrich » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:33 pm

G'day maverick:
It's really interesting you came to about the same conclusions as I did.

I see your Australian swimmers are doing them selves proud at the Olympics.  Good for them!

Cheers,

Richard
dahrich
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by maverick11359 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:10 pm

G'day Richard,
                 Your right the Aussie swimmers specially the aussie women swimmers did incredible well at the  olympics,but the stand out of all time will be your Micheal Phelps ,"incredible".

I don't now if you noticed but our Aussie women seem to dominate every sport from swimming to waterpolo to basketball , beach volleyball  and the list goes on,not bad from a nation of only 21 million .......I had a laugh the other day when someone on the news said where breeding Amazon women stronger and tougher than their aussie men counterparts ......gives you a picture of the aussie male laying back in a hammick listening to music and drinking beer all day and only usefull for one thing ,, breeding (LOL)(LOL).

I thought I give an update on the brass screws .
           I replaced the brass screws in my single suby at first and yes you can hear a noticeable difference,the bass is tighter and cleaner with less futter as you hit bottom frequencies of 30HZ (I used manicmechanics aka Ian's test subwoolfer bass CD).So I replaced all three subys steel screws for brass. I'm not jumping in to this one head first this time but I'm hearing better bass definition particularily with my sacd's and DVD-a's.

Manicmechanic replaced his front L&R Mains and subwoolfer with brass for steel and had me around on the weekend for coffee  to demo it .........I was totally impressed , where as in my systems it  made the mid and bass more dominant so it became slightly bottom heavy it made his soundstage more ballanced, our conclusion  was his system was originally slightly upper freq. dominant  in the first place .

Mav'    

maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by dahrich » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:26 pm

G'day maverick:
You Aussie's have excelled at sports for as long as I can remember going back to Rod Laver.   

Thanks for the update on your experience with the Brass screws.

I will try the Brass screws in my sub.

Cheers,
Richard
dahrich
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by dahrich » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:55 pm

Hello:
I was going to try the brass screw thing on my Velodyne Sub but when I removed the Sub's grill I found things pretty well sealed.  I  didn't want to start messing up the seal so I didn't do anything.

There does appear to be something here with these screws worth investingating for anyone that has the time.

Regards,
Richard
dahrich
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by RickeyM » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:37 pm

How do you mean "sealed"? Can you post a pic?
RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by dahrich » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:54 am

RickeyM:
Sealed is maybe not the best word but around the perimeter of the Driver is a rubber like ring.  It can probably be pried off but I didn't want to do that.

I have a photo but I'm not sure how to post it.  If you can give me instructions I will post it.

Richard 
dahrich
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Do It Yourself Home Theater