[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - Replace your steel screws for brass

Advanced search
It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:59 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Replace your steel screws for brass

Replace your steel screws for brass

This forum is where you can give tips or talk about building your own stuff

Moderator: jttar

by maverick11359 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:32 pm

G'day guys,
             Has anyone done this tweek to their speakers . If you watch the utube video below you'll understand .Replacing all steel speaker mounting screws with brass screws improves your sound.It's a cheap tweek, I think worth a try.

http://www.virtualdynamics.ca/the-oddiophile-eps--1/

Let me know what you think !!!!

Mav'

maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Maxxwire » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:20 pm

Maverick- In the video I noticed that the fellow instructs that when replacing the steel screws with brass screws that it is vitally important to use a Wheeler Fat Wrench in 1 ft. lb. increments of torque in order to perfectly tune all of the speakers to the exact same timbre. Is this what you are planning on doing?

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by maverick11359 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:35 pm

G'day Maxx,
                Yes, you read my mind !  ...I've been looking at  torque screwdrivers for the last half  hour on Ebay.com ,since comming home....If I'm going to do it, i'll go all the way and do it properly .....The trouble is  torque screwdrivers all seem to be over a 100 dollars  ,so much for a cheap tweek, maybe Manicmechanic might have one for the borrow. ... Brass screws shouldn't be a problem , I'll leave that quest for last.

Mav'

maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by maverick11359 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:42 pm

Thanks Maxx,
                    The Wheeler Fat Wrench is around $50.00,shame no body on ebay.com is willing to ship world wide. I'll see if i can find one  locally in OZ.

Cheers Mav'

maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by dahrich » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:26 am

G'day maverick:
Unless you feel you must use the Wheeler torque wrench there are other styles available for much less than $100.

Sears, for example, sells a beam type wrench for US$25.00.

Check it out.

Cheers,
Richard
dahrich
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by jehill » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:24 am

Personally, I think that you can eyeball it close enough just by the feel.  I would be surprised to hear that the scews were torqued to a specific value origninally for reasons other than to ensure that the hole is not striped.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by dahrich » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:04 am

Hello:
One advantage of the torque wrench is accuracy and repeatability.  However, since in the video he tweaked some screws that may not be too important.

Out of curiousity I surfed the web looking for something other than the conventional wrench and found this:http://www.interstatemusic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10051&langId=-1&productId=900165967

A call to a local music store would be interesting.

Regards,

Richard
dahrich
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:29 am

While checking it out it occured to me that the Neary Drum Torque Tool may prove hard to fit with the slot and phillips attachments needed to precision tune the speakers with the retrofitted brass screws.

~Maxx~  

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by dahrich » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:29 pm

Maxx:
You're probably right.  I wondered about that but didn't have enough information to know if it would work.

Just trying to be helpful with some "out side the box" thinking.

Regards,
Richard
dahrich
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by maverick11359 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:36 pm

Thanks for the help guys,
                 I'm going to do some investigative work today see what screws are avaliable and if any torque wrench screwdrivers exsist in coffs ,I'll need 18 per enclosure, that means x 4 = 72 brass screws...We have a large trades wholesaler , that sell every conceivable bolt and screw made by man ,so i'll check them out first.

Mav'
maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

Next

Return to Do It Yourself Home Theater