[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - CD mats do they work ?

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:57 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - CD mats do they work ?

CD mats do they work ?

This forum is where you can give tips or talk about building your own stuff

Moderator: jttar

by maverick11359 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:12 pm

It's really interesting that there are so many reviews that claim it works ,for example Ryan Colemans review ,with no obvious agenda I can see http://www.dagogo.com/MarigoSig3DMatv2.html

quote :-Listening to Jack Johnson’s debut record (a rare find: terrific music with 5-star sonics), I cued up “Bubble Toes” both with and without the Marigo Signature Mat on 3 different players (ranging from $500 to $4,000 retail). The lower-priced players captured more details with the Marigo Signature Mat in place, while the higher priced players captured more still. Using the Marigo Signature Mat with the Muse Polyhymnia player that I was most pleased with, I could hear Jack Johnson open his mouth and the air circulating around it as the song begins. Now that is low level detail! This is entirely consistent with my experiences in addressing vibrations and resonances in a hi-fi system: the more you remove vibrations from interfering with the signal, the more information you’ll receive.

mmmmmmm ,I which i new someone with this incredible device .so i could hear and see the difference.

Mav'
maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Maxxwire » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:43 pm

Maverick- Reviewers usually have an outstanding ultra high resolution Audio System that they use for evaluation and as well aware as Ryan Coleman seems to be of the supreme importance of Resonance Tuning you know his Audio equipment is fine tuned to perfection which makes the contribution of the CD Mat much more disernable than on less sophisticated gear with less effective Resonance Tuning in place. It is not uncommon for these professional reviewers to have a $700 set of magnetic decouplers or an equally effective application like floating bearings under each piece of equipment including the speakers which we mortals who don't have the kind of relationship with the manufacturers that they do and can not get these devices for free or next to nothing as they often do.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by dontsleep33 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:49 am

The claims are rediculous.Audio playback is science not voodoo.Maybe I should slap one of these things on my guitar,you think it might sound more real than it already is?
dontsleep33
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by tcgalo » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:06 am

On 2008-06-13 02:43, Maxxwire wrote:
Maverick- Reviewers usually have an outstanding ultra high resolution Audio System that they use for evaluation and as well aware as Jack Johnson seems to be of the supreme importance of Resonance Tuning you know his Audio equipment is fine tuned to perfection which makes the contribution of the CD Mat much more disernable than on less sophisticated gear with less effective Resonance Tuning in place. It is not uncommon for these professional reviewers to have a $700 set of magnetic decouplers or an equally effective application like floating bearings under each piece of equipment including the speakers which we mortals who don't have the kind of relationship with the manufacturers that they do and can not get these devices for free or next to nothing as they often do.

~Maxx~

Maxx,

I think the reviewer was Ryan Coleman and not Jack Johnson...at least that is the impression that I got when I read the posts.....

tcgalo
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:02 am

TV- Thanks for the heads up. I've corrected my post accordingly.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Maxxwire » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:23 am

On 2008-06-13 09:49, dontsleep33 wrote:
The claims are rediculous. Audio playback is science not voodo.

Just because our current understanding of scientific principals and measurement equipment can't clearly explain or quantify an aural phenomenon does not mean that it does not exist. There are many aspects of the manifestation of Audio artifacts that simply can't be measured or detected yet by "Modern Science" like the delicate transition of a lilting decay envelope or the speed with which an attack transient transverses the soundstage.

I found in developing my own Audio System over the last 8 years that the more I improved the quality of the equipment, wiring, Resonance Tuning, Acoustic Treatments and AC Power Delivery Network the more I was able to understand the esoteric audible phenomenon that these reviewers with their megabuck Systems were talking about. The only difference was that I did it for a dime on the dollar of what their Systems would cost.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by dontsleep33 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:50 pm

Maxx-

I think of you as very knowledgable in the audio field but your disapointing me with this esoteric nonsense.Don't take offence though because I'm just disagreeing with you and respect your ideas and beliefs.

So now with the obvious exception of acoustic treatment and correctly designed cables,the resonance tuning and ac power delivery tweaks you speak of are not real.They do not and cannot make an improved difference in sound unless we're talking about a turntable that needs to be isolated from vibration as much as possible.Super duper power cords? Hospital grade plugs?Think about all the miles of non audiophile wire your electricity travels through before it reaches your stereo system.Is last few feet of wire going to make a difference?I think not.Not only do I not buy the theory's behind these tweaks but I've listened to such setups and have always come away saying "What a waste of $20,000" or something to that effect.
Also you would probably die laughing if I told you the closest thing to live music I've heard yet was from plugging in a cheap dvd player into my 125 watt 2-12" inch full range speaker guitar amplifier and playing some Bach organ and cello music cd's with the player on top of the speaker cabinet!.No tweaks whatsoever and beleive me I know what live music is supposed to sound like.
The total cost of the playback system is maybe $400...
dontsleep33
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by jttar » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:12 pm

dontsleep,

As a fellow musician your comments suprise me. Just for kicks, try a inexpensive resonance tuning. Place a house brick or better yet, two house bricks on top of your CD player and see if you can hear an improvement in mid and bass response.

As far as cables, have you not found a particular guitar cord that you prefer to use just because it sounds better? I know that I have. My favorite is not a high end expensive cord but rather a locally well made inexpensive cord that makes my 1968 Gibson ES335TD and my 1961 Fender Jazzmaster sound thier absolute best. I too know what live music is supposed to sound like and have for many years. If you cannot hear or appreciate the difference in sound with a quality cable either your ears are shot or you have not found the right combination for your guitar and amp.

Like yourself, I mean no disrespect but as I said, your comments suprise me. It has been my experience that a musicians ear could hear the difference.

Try some resonance tuning on your CD player, you should hear the difference. If not, just enjoy the music as you hear it.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Maxxwire » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:32 pm

dontsleep- I am not offended in the least, but rather it saddens me that you have so severely limited your horizons in Audio playback by convincing yourself that upgrades that you have never tried will not work I have proven to myself in my own Audio System that the improvements in the AC Power Delivery System are extremely effective which is congruent with the findings of 10,000's of other Audiophiles who actually took the time to test it out for themselves. Listening to a high quality Power Amp with an upgraded Ultra Pure Ohno Continuous Cast Copper Audio Grade AC Plug is a Sonic Revelation that few will ever enjoy because most people have the preconceived notion that it couldn't possibly work and that untested ignorance keeps them from taking the true scientific approach and rigerously field testing to prove out what the Truth actually is. If you read the information about my own personal experience linked to above I  have tried to explain as well as I could step by step how the the experts who wrote the AC Power Principals were absolutely correct in their explanation of how Power Delivery really works and how a former US Goveronment research scientist has proven that the Power Cord is in reality the first few feet of wire that the equipment sees the Power Grid with and not the last few feet which some foolishly claim.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by dontsleep33 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:40 pm

jttar-

I'm happy to suprise you! We need fresh ideas once in a while.

Anyhow,I wasn't disputing the fact that properly contructed quality cables can sound better than cheaply made "out of the box" type stuff.My beef was with resonance tuning for cd players and or other audio components that you can practically shake in your hands if you wanted to and still have them sound the same.A solid state amplifier for instance or fm/am tuner.I have tried 20 pound dumbells on top of components before and except for the alluminum warping on the component there was no change at all.
As for my ears being shot for not having a favorite guitar cord,that's funny because if the cables are constructed correctly there is no need for a favorite.I use and buy acceptable cords that work.Period.
Just in case my stance with audio in general is misleading,I am a total tone freak and can hear the slightest changes in audio except when I do it comes from tangible sources like speakers,equalization,compression,tube amps vs solid state etc...
dontsleep33
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Do It Yourself Home Theater