[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - CD mats do they work ?

Advanced search
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:07 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - CD mats do they work ?

CD mats do they work ?

This forum is where you can give tips or talk about building your own stuff

Moderator: jttar

by maverick11359 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:37 pm

G'day guys,
                Have you tried a cd matt and did it work for you .
Did you hear any improvements , From the reveiws on the net  on average they work.

Well I borrowed my neighbours " SID - Sound Improvement Disc  number 14 " last night .I tried 2 MO-FI sacd's "Pat Barbers" and a DVD-A " David Becker -GERMERICA " 96/24 and finished with a CD "Natalie Cole's" Unforgettable. The promotion and theory for the purpose for use is the fact that light shines through alot of disc's, you can see this for yourself if you hold them up to a bright light or put a torch behind one, this means that the laser can have  difficulty reading and possible error,, end result using the green matt ontop of the disc eliminates this problem and helps enhance sound quality.

Well I wanted to hear a difference ,but I honestly don't know !
  I don't think I could tell a difference after repeatively playing the same 30 seconds  over and over on each diffferent disc on multiple different tracks with and without the SID mat .

Has anyone tried SID or the other brands like "Audioprism Blacklight II CD Mat" reviews  http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/audioprism/others/blacklight-ii-cd-mat/PRD_117768_1590crx.aspx  

and " Marigo Crossbow " reveiws  http://www.audioreview.com/cat/accessories/others/marigo/crossbow-cd-mat/PRD_117896_1590crx.aspx

Seems on average for every two people that says it works theirs one that says it doesn't.

It cost my neighbour $55.00 dollars AUS for theSID the Marigo crossbow costs upto $100.00 ,it's alot of money for some thing that could posssibly not work and cause damage to your transport. Whats your opinion ?

Mav'

maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by dontsleep33 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:35 pm

I've never tried one and probably never will.I can almost see the snake oil dripping off this product.I would think the inventors of the compact disc would have incorporated something like this into the design if it was needed to have the laser track the disc properly.
dontsleep33
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by claudio » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:51 pm

It's seems interesting. Haven't heard of this before.
Below is a picture of

The MARIGO AUDIO SIGNATURE 3-D MAT for CD & DVD

The MARIGO AUDIO SIGNATURE 3-D MAT for CD & DVD utilizes a revolutionary and proprietary gold surface on top of anti-static black coating and optically absorbent green. This synergistically creates a new level of performance for both audio and video digital replay. With the MARIGO AUDIO SIGNATURE 3-D MAT in a CD transport or a DVD player, you will see and hear a dramatic improvement. Inner detail, resolution, and ambient information is enhanced tremendously in audio replay. The harmonic structure of instruments and human voice are revealed to be strikingly more lifelike.

In video replay, the MARIGO AUDIO SIGNATURE 3-D MAT greatly enhances picture detail and dimensionality. You will experience an involving 3-D video performance as never before.

Founder
Agoraquest
claudio
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by maverick11359 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:29 pm

G'day dontsleep,
                       I know what you mean about snake oil and reality, but having said that i always stay open minded because of all the tweeks that i have in my system that enhance it to the way i love it today.A little while back my neighbour introduced me to an agent you wiped on the discs and polished off, it sounded like snake oil untill he did it to a couple of my discs and I heard a diffference (that time).

G'day claudio,
    at www.audiogon.com
that's the one ( MARIGO AUDIO SIGNATURE 3-D MAT )that is highly recommended and I think costs the most.

I forgot to mention my neighbour loves his SID and he reckons it makes a huge difference ,he wont play music with out it . Thinking back though, my Mav'3 power conditioner made a huge difference to his stereo also ,more so than any other system we trialed it on at the time.

Or maybe it's something to do with his Moon top loading CD player ,it likes the CD mat where I know my Denon 3910 has asealed black draw unit seperated from the rest of the interior electrics of the unit ,designed so light can't penetrate or escape .

Mav'
maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by dontsleep33 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:54 pm

maverick11359-

An opened mind is always good but please let's be real here.I play cd's in the daylight and in complete darkness without hearing a difference all the time.I also play WAV files from my hard drive which would not be affected by any light and yet they sound no different than my cd's.
I just don't get it.It seems someone is always coming up with something for audiophiles to bite on.
I wonder if I said a sound quality prayer before listening would make a huge difference? Possibly imaginary but not real to anyone else un aware that the music was "blessed"

dontsleep33
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by maverick11359 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:23 am

G'day dontsleep,
                          Personally I had to try it ! Nothing ventured nothing gained ,we should all have mates that buy these things and that way it doesn't hurt our hip pocket when it doesn't work. I just couldn't outlay 55 dollars for a thin piece of green matt plastic the size of a CD .Check out these guys who also tried it,via the cheap way:-  http://www.audiotweaks.com/tweaks/tweak_266.htm

Actually the person that suggested I try it wasn't my friend and neighbour it was the manager of Mobile Fidelity (that's right the head Gooro)via an email....I have a MO-Fi SACD Disc (Patrica Barbers Modern cool")that for no obvious reason stated stopping mid song No.8 and then starts track 9,so i emailed him to ask for a reason (to old to return and to costly to replace at $35.00 a disc),He suggested trying the mat as a possible fix ( I have quite a number of MO-FI SACD's and Red book CD's ,I hope it isn't contagious) .

I did exactly that last night ( tried the mat ontop of it)and it made no difference it still stops and starts the same as before.

Frustrating seeing how it doesn't have a finger print, smear ,scratch mark or anything on it.

Maybe I should say alittle pray before playing it too (LOL).

Mav'
maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by tcgalo » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:37 pm

On 2008-06-12 01:35, dontsleep33 wrote:
I've never tried one and probably never will.I can almost see the snake oil dripping off this product.I would think the inventors of the compact disc would have incorporated something like this into the design if it was needed to have the laser track the disc properly.

I have to agree with you dontsleep33,  I do not think a mat will improve the reading capability of a CD player...maybe the laser may need cleaning or some discs are just bad, I have a SACD that will not play at all in my 777ES/9100ES...save for the cd version of the same disc. This disc has no scratch or dirt whatsoever.

Anyway, personally when it comes to tweaking I try to be careful with what I try...damping the chassis has always been my 1st...and when it comes to green markers, partitioning the disc with a black marker, mats and everything in between, I keep my distance...if there was any improvement by a green marker cause of its absorption capabilties, then most audiophile discs from reknown labels like say...chesky, Linn...e.t.c would have their CDs in green. (my opinion).

As for the mat, it just adds more weight to the motor...and I will not take a chance putting that thing in either transport of my 2 players. It might work for some people...as for me, that is one thing that as dontsleep33 says..."I can almost see the snake oil dripping off this product."

This item has been in a lot of online discussions including his (Marigo Labs) other audio tuning devices...

Good luck for those who try...just make sure there is a return policy...that way you do not lose your 200.00 for the more expensive gold plated so called disc mat.

tcgalo
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:57 pm

I remember back when treating CD's with Armor All Protectant was the Tweak of the Week. Since it was only a $3 investment I tried it on a few CD's with questionable results, but when I found out it had to be frequently reapplied I stopped using it altogether.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by tcgalo » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:15 pm

I could not resist with Marigo's statement....."In video replay, the MARIGO AUDIO SIGNATURE 3-D MAT greatly enhances picture detail and dimensionality. You will experience an involving 3-D video performance as never before...."

I guess IMAX has met its match in 3D...if only I could get my hands on that Marigo Lab mat....
tcgalo
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by maverick11359 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:28 pm

G'day guys ,

You can buy yourself a cheap DVD player with the cost of this tweek  
MSRP: $200   Manufacturer: Marigo Audio 4628 SE 74th Ave Portland, OR 97206 Tel: 503-284-1163

maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

Next

Return to Do It Yourself Home Theater