[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - Reference Wired RCA Socket Upgrade

Advanced search
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:40 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Reference Wired RCA Socket Upgrade

Reference Wired RCA Socket Upgrade

This forum is where you can give tips or talk about building your own stuff

Moderator: jttar

by Maxxwire » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:17 pm

This is a picture of the OF Copper RCA i/o Socket upgrade that the designer of my Preamp does at his facilities for only $235 more than it cost me to have the same upgrade done on my Preamp by a good friend with the parts he had on hand from his day job as a solder slinger.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Maxxwire » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:57 pm

Eld- I'm sitting here listening to my Stereo as it sounds an order of magnitude better than it ever did since the completion of the OF Copper RCA Socket upgrades with a big smile of anticipation on my face as I think about how your new Vampire CM2FCB OF Copper RCA Sockets are going to sound in your gear.

After the Mod is completed I hope you can pull yourself away from listening to your newly Copperized gear long enough to fill us in on the results.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Elderion » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:33 am

Hi Maxx,

Thanks for the history.  Those OFC RCA looks amazing.  I marvel at the soldering skill of some of the more experience solder slingers like your friend and RickeyM.  

The Vampires just came in and I'm still waiting on the Mogami wires to arrive.  I went ahead and bought some W2549 and W2534.  The conductors are listed as 20/0.12 OFC and 30/0.08 OFC for the two types of wires, can you guys clue me in on what those numbers mean?

I discovered that most of my receiver video RCA's are magnetic, so I will be removing those from the Panny promptly as well as disconnecting the video internal wires from the DSP board.  On the plus side, the stock audio RCA 's are non-magnetic so I will probably leave the unused ones alone.  Will post an update once the OFC RCA's are in.

Cheers!

Elderion
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Maxxwire » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:53 am

Eld- According to this information from Mogami the W2549 has 22 AWG OFC conductors-

Mogami Standard Balanced Mic Cable
W2549 has been designed using our famous Neglex OFC to provide the highest quality audio reproduction in any recording application. It features #22AWG conductors and extremely low capacitance.

I checked out the numbers 20/0.12 that you gave on the American Wire Gauge Chart thinking that they might correspond to a wire gauge and its diameter, but I couldn't find a correlation between them.

Its exciting to hear that you are so close to completing your OF Copper RCA Socket upgrade. You'll be glad you waited for the high quality Mogami OFC wire my friend the Tech so highly recommends based on his 30+ continuous years of building and repairing Audio equipment.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Maxxwire » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:11 am

Eld- When I checked out the Mogami W2534 I found the numbers that you were refering to on a chart which lists the conductor details as 20/0.12 OFC which after comparing to a number of other Mogami charts would seem to indcate that each conductor is comprised of 20 strands of OFC wire and has an overall rating of 0.12 Amps.

SPECIFICATIONS

ConfigurationPart No.W2534

No. of Conductors- 4(Quad)

Conductor Details- 20/0.12 OFC

Size(mm²)- 0.226mm² (#24 AWG)

InsulationOv. Dia.(mm)1.6Ø (0.063")

Material XLCPE (Cross-Linked Polyethylene)

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Elderion » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:21 am

Hi Maxx,

Thanks for your help.  I found the information here: http://www.wcwc.com/053818/specsheets/pdf/av.pdf

Looks like you are correct that the first number is the strand count per conductor and the second number looks like the diameter of each strand.

edit: after checking the number of strands and diamter size, I'm not sure if the second number is the diameter size of the strand, what do you think?     

Elderion
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Maxxwire » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:46 am

Eld- If you are in doubt as to what their unlabled specs mean you might write an email to Mogami and ask them exactly what they do mean because 0.12 mm diameter wire is not listed on the wire gauge chart.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Maxxwire » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:57 am

I was looking at the picutre above of the job that my Tech did my Tech wiring in the OF Copper RCA Sockets and I noticed how much less wire he used than the Techs at Alta Vista use in their work installing the OF Copper RCA Sockets pictured below-

It doesn't suprise me though because my Tech told me right up front that he was a fanatic about using the absolute shortest amount of wire possible in his Mods.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Maxxwire » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:01 pm

The first time my Tech opened up my Conrad-Johnson Power Amp he said "Oh no, this won't do at all!" referring to the lengthy runs of wires that they had used for convenient assembly at the factory.

After he had installed the new Output Tube Sockets he went through the entire Power Amp replacing and shortening wires until as a fellow Audiophile he was satisfied that they were as short as he felt they could be.

The last Mod he did on the Power Amp was the OF Copper RCA Sockets. He had taken out the 4" original factory wires that had been used for the RCAs and the Copper Mogami Microphone wires he used to solder the new OF Copper RCAs into the circuit board after it was in place were no longer than 1/2" long and seeing him do such precise work was like watching Kinetic Art---

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Maxxwire » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:02 pm

Carver TX-11 FM Tuner

This is a stock photo of what my Carver TX-11 looked like before going to be Modified with ModWright OF Copper RCA Sockets.

This is what the Carver TX-11 looked like after it had been sufficiently disassembled for the Mod and the holes for the RCA Sockets had been enlarged to accomodate the new OF Copper RCA Sockets.

Actually the Mod went quickly because my Tech had already done the Mod on his own Carver TX-11a FM Tuner.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

PreviousNext

Return to Do It Yourself Home Theater