[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - Reference Wired RCA Socket Upgrade

Advanced search
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:11 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Reference Wired RCA Socket Upgrade

Reference Wired RCA Socket Upgrade

This forum is where you can give tips or talk about building your own stuff

Moderator: jttar

by Maxxwire » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:57 am

For almost an entire year now my Tech has been wanting to upgrade the RCA Sockets on my Power Amp and this last weekend I hauled my 40 lb Conrad-Johnson MV-52 Tube Power Amp into his shop where he installed the same proprietary RCA Sockets that he uses on the ModWright Instruments equipment that he builds for Dan Wright. These are the exact same RCA Sockets that he installed on my Counterpoint Tube Preamp last year.

In his shop my Tech has over a dozen different types of excellent copper wire available, but he suggested that we use the same Mogami Microphone Cable that Dan Wright chose for reference wiring in his new critically acclaimed $5,000 ModWright LS 36.5 Preamp to wire in the CJ's new RCA Sockets with.

The original CJ factory wiring used about 8" of wire to connect each of the input sockets even though the RCA Sockets are only about 1" from the input Tube circuitry! According to my Tech they do this for convenience on the assembly line so that they can lift the main circuit board without having to desolder the RCA Sockets.

When my Tech was done the wires running from the RCA Sockets to the input Tube circuitry are now the 1" long that they should be!

~Maxx~

Next- The Results...  

A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

ºCLICK ON PIC FOR PiPº

…Masterful Setup is Also the Key to Amazing Audio Performance…

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Maxxwire » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:07 am

RCA Socket Upgrade

The Results

This being the 5th set of these proprietary RCA Sockets to be installed in my Audio System I expected to hear improvements along the lines of the lines of what I had heard before when my Preamp was upgraded from those horrible nickel pinned RCA Sockets that it came from the factory with, but I was in for a big suprise!

Preamp RCA Socket Upgrade OEM RCA's on the left. ModWright Gold Plated Copper RCA's on the right.

Describing the sonics of the RCA Socket upgrade on the Power Amp is going to require some creative verbage so please bear with me. There are many levels in the description of the resolution of detail and I am refering to the level of detail now being resolved in this upgrade as Artifacts of Authenticity because they are finer than detailed and more natural and intricate than what I have come to know as micro detailing.

I am now continually hearing so many new and engaging sounds coming from my CD's which must have been there all along on the recording, but I was unable to hear. There are sounds coming from the strings on the instruments that are so impossibly detailed that it is like the audible version of seeing thru a magnifying glass and finding out what you had been missing for the very first time!

After doing hundereds of upgrades on this Audio System I thought I was pretty close to getting all the sound quality that I could out of it, but I now find myself hearing these very Authentic Artifacts from the playing of the instruments flying effortlessly around the room that I had no idea even existed before!

My working theory is that since this RCA Socket upgrade was on the Power Amp which receives a much smaller signal from the Preamp than the Preamp Receives from the Digital front end that the reaction of the Power Amp to this uniform RCA Socket Upgrade was inversely proportional to the amount of power it receives from the Preamp in comparison to the amount of line level signal that the Preamp receives from the Digital front end.

Since the CJ MV-52 Power Amp has an input sensitivity of .775v and it takes .017v to produce 1 watt of power. Therefore driving my 93 dB efficient speakers to my Reference listening level of 72 dB SPL requires a mere .00013v from the Preamp.

While there was a noticable improvement in the sound quality of the Preamp after its RCA Socket upgrades the Power Amp reacted to the upgrade on a much different level of intensity which was proportional to the delicate nature of the small input the Power Amp receives.

Of course this also involves the Preamp outputs which had been modified, but had been sending that low voltage signal to a pair of less than desirable RCA Sockets on the Power Amp and the upgraded RCA Sockets provided a clear path for the very first time.

~Maxx~

Next- RCA Sockets & Mogami Cable

-CLICK ON PIC FOR PiP-

Masterful Setup is the Key to Amazing Audio Performance

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Maxxwire » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:09 am

RCA Sockets & Mogami Cable

Since this Mod was done with proprietary RCA Sockets it is impossible to recommend an equivalent, but here is a sampling of the better quality RCA Sockets available-

Cardas

WBT

]

Eichmann

Reference Standard Mogami Neglex Quad Microphone Cable W2534...

I did a lot of research and this is the closest commercially available version of the Mogami Microphone Cable that my Tech used on this Mod and here is where the Reference Standard Mogami W2534 Microphone Cable can be purchased for $0.92/ft.

~Maxx~

ºCLICK ON PIC FOR PiPº

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by RickeyM » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:58 pm

On 2007-09-13 15:07, Maxxwire wrote:
RCA Socket Upgrade

The Results

This being the 5th set of these proprietary RCA Sockets to be installed in my Audio System I expected to hear improvements along the lines of the lines of what I had heard before when my Preamp was upgraded from those horrible nickel pinned RCA Sockets that it came from the factory with, but I was in for a big suprise! 

and

I am now continually hearing so many new and engaging sounds coming from my CD's which must have been there all along on the recording, but I was unable to hear. There are sounds coming from the strings on the instruments that are so impossibly detailed that it is like the audible version of seeing thru a magnifying glass and finding out what you had been missing for the very first time!

~Maxx~

I think that's the greatest thing about tweaks and upgrades, when you hear things that were there all along buy previously, your system couldn't bring them out.

As a matter of fact, right now I have my preamp opened up to have it's CD input and line output RCA chassis jacks replaced. Granted, the new jacks aren't anywhere near the quality of what your tech used, but they don't have a spec of nickel anywhere in sight .

The maker of my McCormack power amp has an upgrade package which includes, among other things, installing Cardas RCA chassis jacks. Since that package is rather pricey, I'll be doing some of what they do on my own. Having done the RCA jacks on my CD players, I feel confident enough to tackle the jacks on the amp myself. 

BTW Maxx, what does your tech think of the Eichmann chassis jacks?

RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Maxxwire » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:25 pm

Cardas CTFA- RCA Female, non-magnetic, eutectic Brass, Gold plate.

Cardas GRFA- RCA Female, non- magnetic, eutectic Brass, Rhodium over Silver plate.

McCormack certainly knows what they're doing by choosing to use Cardas RCA Sockets in their Power Amp upgrades. In my experience Cardas seems to be the most often used RCA Socket in both original production and aftermarket Modification of High End Audio equipment that I have seen and I'm not just saying that because they are a locally operated company.

I'll ask my Tech about Eichmann RCA Sockets, but at more than 3½ times the price of the Cardas CTFA I can see why so many High End Audio companies like McCormack prefer to use Cardas products for their Power Amp Mods.

Here's a listing with photos of Cardas Products w/Prices that show just why Cardas products are so often chosen by both Manufacturers and DIY individuals to do affordable and highly effective aftermarket Audio equipment upgrades.

~Maxx~

ºCLICK ON PIC FOR PiPº

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by RickeyM » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:48 am

I was looking at the Cardas GRFA DBL PRT G. It looks like it might be a direct replacement for the usual circuit board mounted factory chassis jacks.

RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by RickeyM » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:29 am

Dopey me,  after posting the above pic, it struck me as looking very familiar. I looked inside my McCormack amp and the Rhodium plated version of that jack is already in there.

If I luck up on a Sony preamp, guess what  I'm putting in it?

Graduate of Sony University, class of '94.

Support your local S.P.C.A.

If older is better, I must be approaching magnificence!

RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Maxxwire » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:22 pm

On 2007-09-16 12:29, RickeyM wrote: I looked inside my McCormack amp and the Rhodium plated version of that jack is already in there.

When it comes to your McCormack Power Amp's build quality it sounds like you're flying first class!

All you will need is some Cardas GRFA DBL PRT Rhodium on Silver plated RCA Sockets for your new Sony Preamp when you get it and you'll have a complete set of matching i/o's!

~Maxx~

ºCLICK ON PIC FOR PiPº

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by RickeyM » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:33 pm

On 2007-09-17 01:22, Maxxwire wrote:

On 2007-09-16 12:29, RickeyM wrote: I looked inside my McCormack amp and the Rhodium plated version of that jack is already in there.

When it comes to your McCormack Power Amp's build quality it sounds like you're flying first class! 

All you will need is some Cardas GRFA DBL PRT Rhodium on Silver plated RCA Sockets for your new Sony Preamp when you get it and you'll have a complete set of matching i/o's!

~Maxx~

In for a penny, in for a pound  . Might as well add these too  .

Cardas AGMO 

RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Maxxwire » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:00 pm

CARDAS/GRMO MALE RCA

Large RCA male with 9mm cable opening. Non-magnetic eutectic brass, Rhodium over Silver plate with goldplated brass cover.

RickeyM- Is there a reason that you chose to go with the Gold plated AGMO instead of the Rhodium over Silver plated GRMO RCA Plug?

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

Next

Return to Do It Yourself Home Theater