[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - Next up, the DVP-S7000. Yep, I'm at it again...

Advanced search
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:15 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Next up, the DVP-S7000. Yep, I'm at it again...

Next up, the DVP-S7000. Yep, I'm at it again...

This forum is where you can give tips or talk about building your own stuff

Moderator: jttar

by Maxxwire » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:44 pm

RickeyM- I had no idea how much of an improvement upgrading the RCA Sockets on my DAC, Preamp and Power Amp would have until my Tech virtually insisted that I let him do the upgrades. I couldn't understand his enthusiasm over replacing the RCA Sockets especially the ones on my Conrad-Johnson Power Amp which looked pretty substantial, but with each pair he replaced in each piece the sound quality of all the previous Mods he had done increased gaining more of their true potential.

Taking into consideration the very high quality downstream equipment that you have including your Modified Maggies which are famous for picking up and portraying every nuance of improved sound quality they are provided with it would stand to reason that they would richly reward you for any incremental improvements made to the all important source of the Audio signal in your S7000 especially its RCA Output Sockets through which the results of all your fine Modification work pass on to the rest of the System.

~Maxx~

-----------------
A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

Quick Link to MaxxPix

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by RickeyM » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:33 pm

As a further experiment on using film caps in place of electrolytic caps as output coupling caps on my player, I took out the 4.7uF Obbligato copper case caps and put in some 12uF Jantzen Crosscaps I had. The mods I'd seen have said you can use a much smaller film cap in place of an electrolytic cap, hence the small value 4.7uF. Others used it and it seemed OK in mine. Well curiosity got the better of me and I put in the higher value, but lower quality caps. Well, it worked about like I thought it would. The Jantzen cap wasn't as clear and detailed as the Obbligato, but it sure let more bass through. Not muddy sounding or bloated, but there definately was more of it. I like it so much, now I've got to find a high quality cap with the combination of a smaller case & a higher value like the Jantzen. I'll keep you all posted.
RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by sonyeslover » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:49 pm

Interesting thread, in fact I got the bug to buy one of these players and picked up a DVP-S7700. I am awaiting it's arrival!
sonyeslover
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by RickeyM » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:12 am

I'd love to see some internal pics when you get it.
RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by sonyeslover » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:20 pm

On 2008-12-18 10:12, RickeyM wrote:
I'd love to see some internal pics when you get it.

Will do.

sonyeslover
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by sonyeslover » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:05 pm

An internal of the DVP-S7700 DVD player.

sonyeslover
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:29 pm

sonyeslover- Gotta love that Classic Copper Chassis which provides the ideal foundation for your intended Modifications! What brands are the high and low value Electrolytic Caps on the board we see here and what plans do you have for them?

~Maxx~  

-----------------

Quick Link to MaxxPix

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by sonyeslover » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:22 am

Hi Maxx, I have to take a closer look at those caps. I have to admit, the sound is most excellent from this player, the detail is great, dare I say as good as my X77ES? I have no immediate plans for mods, but, I suppose once I get around to it, I will do the usual opamp and cap replacements and perhaps new AC and RCA's wouldn't hurt either. I will try to get a hold of a service manual so I can study it before I get my hands dirty.
sonyeslover
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:37 am

sonyeslover- You already know my opinions about AC POWER DELIVERY UPGRADES and upgrading to PURE COPPER RCA SOCKETS both of which have made a significant improvement on every piece of Audio gear I have Modified. I am looking forward to finding out what choices you make for the your new DVP S7700.

~Maxx~

-----------------

Explore The New Sony MaxxPix

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by S7000tweaker » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:34 pm

Hi Gents-
I've been modding a few S7000's for a while now, have been really happy with the current State of the Mods version. I have tried OPA2134, LM4562 and JRC2082D, plus most of the usual suspects for caps- Cerafine, KZ's the new Silmic II's, and even a set of Black Gate's I harvested from an old dead Rotel 855!

But before you spend a lot of time with different Op-amps, do a 'bypass mod' by removing R215, R315 and running a quality solid-copper wire right to the output jacks. This removes all the junk downstream of the coupling caps and opens the player up completely. Once I did this and  afew other mods the player now equals and/or exceeds my x707es in RCA mode. Even  balanced into my ARC LS-15 the x707es is just barely warmer. Here's what a couple pcs of 18 ga. copper look like- you simply HAVE to do this before messing with anything else. This lets you hear what does and doesn't make a difference. BTW, 18 ga. is the biggest that will fit! I used 22 ga. solid core on another experimental AU-194 board and really that is probably sufficient- we're only moving a few milli-amps of current at under 2V!!

I did wire in an IEC socket and ferrite filters- including on a ground wire- that a Canadian friend scrounged from a computer of some sort... 18 ga. copper pins replaced the pathetic stock input connector's 24 ga. pins! Fitment was tight but there's room.

see the dinky pins on the left? LOL... Hard-wire's the only way to go guys! You can see the larger caps I installed in the power supply. The stock diodes are already as good as FREDS, don't waste your time. (that's the voice of experience )

I increased the size of C512, C513 to 2200uF using Nichicon VZ's, bypassed with .01/50v poly- the 5V and -7V supplies are already pretty good but these upgrades help deliver tighter faster bass no matter which Op-amps you end up liking the best. I upgraded C201, C301 with Elna Cerafine's in the stock value; might try bigger values but the bass reach is already down to 20Hz with excellent authority. I used a stock player to test my mods against- I burned identical copies of discs and toggled between sources on the ARC. Because the same remote controls both players, it's easy to sync up tracks! Using this method showed me several mods that made NO difference whatsoever- usually bypassing p/s caps!

I also toggle between modded players to further test out mods. I did spend time cranking the volume on the system and tapping the circuit board with a nylon tuning stick to listen for any micro-phonics-- not a 'tink' or 'thud' was heard! I have used Sorbothane pucks with these players but sorry lads- they seem quite inert... go ahead and clamp them with wooden blocks etc- can't hurt- but I can't hear any advantages at sane listening levels. Just my .02 of course! Back to the basement- got another idea....

Cheers,
Alex
S7000tweaker
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Do It Yourself Home Theater