[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - Next up, the DVP-S7000. Yep, I'm at it again...

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:46 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Next up, the DVP-S7000. Yep, I'm at it again...

Next up, the DVP-S7000. Yep, I'm at it again...

This forum is where you can give tips or talk about building your own stuff

Moderator: jttar

by RickeyM » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:16 pm

Hi David. The rason for upgrading the RCA analog outputs is because the stereo pre-amp I'm using does not have digital inputs. The other option was to get an outboard DAC, but it would have cost a lot more than what I did to upgrade the DVP-S7000's already very good internal digital-to-analog conversion.
RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by mastemc » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:45 am

So if you have digital inputs on the receiver, then go with digital? And when you say pre-amp, what are you refering to?
Or does the S7000 have a better DAC than most receivers? One of your mods was on the DAC right?

mastemc
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by RickeyM » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:10 pm

If my Pre-amp had a digital toslink input, I would have just used a 'glass fiber Toslink interconnect for the disc player-to-preamp link and called it a day. Most stereo pre-amps only have analog inputs though. All modern HT receivers have digital inputs and I'm sure the DAC in the DVP-S7000 is better than the DAC's in some of the lesser receivers.

The mods I did involved replacing the Op-amps and upgrading the caps on the audio circuit board.
RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by mastemc » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:46 pm

Thanks for the info.
mastemc
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by RickeyM » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:26 pm

I recently fired up the soldering iron to add some more Nichicon caps to the audio circuit board of my DVP-S7000.

After reading about a mod to a Sony X77ES on another forum, I got the idea to increase the size of a couple of the caps for the DAC chip.
  The original caps are 47uF/50v FM series and are the only Nichicon Muse caps originally in there. To my mind, the fact that Sony used better quality caps here meant that it was important.

The new caps are bigger (100uF/50v) and better (Nichicon KZ's) and fit right in there.
While I was at it, I added a .01uF bypass cap to each of the new caps. I put everything back together, powered it up and no sound! I checked all the solder joints and everything looked good.     Out came the Nichicon's and the bypass caps and in went two more KZ's, without the bypass caps this time. Whatever was wrong, this fixed it   . The result seems to be a little more bass extension and no negative effects anywhere.

The main power supply filter caps will be upgraded later so I just added small bypass caps to them for now.

The sound quality from this disc player just amazes me. It's smooth and clear with deep strong bass all the way to a very extended and detailed treble. You hear layers of detail and sound in music you're familiar with that you didn't know were there before. I litterally sat there with the remote scanning back and replaying sections of songs and saying "wow, I never heard that in there before". Another Agoraquest member (S7000tweaker) puts his modded 'S7000 a notch above his X707ES.

I've got a few more things I plan on doing, so this DVD player that thinks it's an ES class CD player isn't done showing off yet   .

RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Maxxwire » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:14 pm

RickeyM- Taking into consideration all of the top flight Mods that you've made recently are you still satisfied with the RCA Socket upgrade that you made to your S7000 last year? I only ask because I know how fond you are of the high quality products that Cardas makes for this application.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by sonyeslover » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:00 pm

Looks good RM. I have to get me one of these one day! I am in the modding mood!
sonyeslover
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by RickeyM » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:22 pm

Hi Maxx, I hadn't thought of the chassis jacks lately. I guess I should go ahead and get that taken care of. Soniccraft, which sells Cardas, happens to have a sale on this month.
RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Maxxwire » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:05 pm

On 2007-09-16 11:48, RickeyM wrote:
I was looking at the Cardas GRFA DBL PRT G. It looks like it might be a direct replacement for the usual circuit board mounted factory chassis jacks.

Would you still be considering these same Cardas RCA Sockets for your S7700? If so, according to the  'weak link theory' we've discussed so often installing a high quality pair of RCA Output Sockets like these will very likely do great justice to all of the many expertly executed Modifications that you have already made to your Ultra High Performance S7700.

~Maxx~

-----------------
A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

Quick Link to MaxxPix

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by RickeyM » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:22 am

I looked at those jacks for my 'S7000, but then realized that I'm bypassing the circuit board downstream of the Op-amps and couldn't use them there. I'll have to stick with the Single GRFA's. Do you think replacing the generic gold RCA jacks in there now will make much of an improvement?

-----------------
Graduate of Sony University, class of '94.

Support your local S.P.C.A. Adopt

If older is better, I must be approaching  magnificence!

RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Do It Yourself Home Theater