[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - Next up, the DVP-S7000. Yep, I'm at it again...

Advanced search
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:47 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Next up, the DVP-S7000. Yep, I'm at it again...

Next up, the DVP-S7000. Yep, I'm at it again...

This forum is where you can give tips or talk about building your own stuff

Moderator: jttar

by RickeyM » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:15 pm

I started a thread over in the DVD Forum about a DVD player I recently acquired. Well, I'm moving the party over here because it's oficially MOD TIME .

Frankly, I wanted a single disc CD to mod because they have more room inside than CD changers. Secondly, I wanted a good unit to start with. Unfortunately, I'm not the only person that wants a "good unit" so they tend to be scarce and/or expensive.

I found out that the DVP-S7000 was billed as a "Flagship" model, built to ES standards (including audio performance) even though Sony wasn't yet putting the ES badge on video gear.

Even though the 'S7000 is a very good sounding machine, better components have come along and the great thing is, most aren't really that expensive.

On first listen, the sound was good but a little strident. Then I plugged the player into a line conditioner and the sound smoothed out a bit (thanks Powervar).
I then clipped the stock molded A/C plug from the Powervar and put on my favorite budget plug, a polished brass bladed Pass & Seymour.

WOW!
  Everything about the sound improved by a big step. Nickel plated molded plugs are not you friend and should all be banished. Next will be the molded plug on the player and if all goes well, my new and improved Op-amps will be here in a day or two .

The stuff I'm planning can be easily done by anybody with basic soldering skills and I'll post some pics as I go along
RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Maxxwire » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:31 am

On 2007-06-11 01:15, RickeyM wrote: Nickel plated molded plugs are not your friend and should all be banished.

I couldn't agree more! Time and again we find that Upgrading Nickel Plated Molded Plugs brings a meaningful sonic upgrade and all it takes is a few minutes and a screwdriver!

I can't wait to read about how this Mod goes! You are starting off with an already legendary piece of Sony gear and who knows how far the Mods may take you on the Sonic Scale...

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by RickeyM » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:44 pm

Here are some inside shots of the audio board. I replaced the output op-amps only and the sound is very good now. Before, the mids were a bit recessed. Now, it's as if the vocalists have taken a step forward. Everything sounds clearer, more distinct. Sounds in the bass range sound more powerful, but not louder. Very noticeable improvements for about twelve bucks. 

I think I'll put in some sockets for the low pass filter op-amps, so I can try different ones there to see how it affects the audio.
RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by RickeyM » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:50 pm

Yesterday I swaped out the coupling capacitors. They're the four output coupling caps in the yellow oval in the pic above.
What's unusual is that there are four, where most other players have two. The originals are Silmic's. Taking advantage of a pair of coupling caps per channel, I installed one Silmic-2 & one Nichicon KZ per channel.
The sound has a very open and clear midrange and the bass appears a touch stronger too.
RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Maxxwire » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:40 am

On 2007-06-16 16:50, RickeyM wrote: I installed one Silmic-2 & one Nichicon KZ per channel.

What are the values of these caps?

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by RickeyM » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:44 pm

MAXX, the cap values are 100uF/25v. I checked it when I pulled the originals, Sony does parallel the  in this player.

In my CDP, the output coupling caps are 100uF/50v, two total.

I did go back in and the output coupling caps are all Nichicon KZ's now. I also bypassed the circuit board and wired the newly installed, gold-plated RCA jacks directly to the Nichicon caps. Sounds great now .

Let's see, less than $30 in parts= jaw dropping improvement .

Oh yeah, me like!

RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Maxxwire » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:16 pm

On 2007-06-18 21:44, RickeyM wrote: I did go back in and the output coupling caps are all Nichicon KZ's now. I also bypassed the circuit board and wired the newly installed, gold-plated RCA jacks directly to the Nichicon caps.

If my friend world renown Sony Modman Richard Kern of Audiomod read that he would definately have a big smile of approval on his face both over your use of Nichicon Caps which are his absolute favorite and also your direct method of using them!

~Maxx~

A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

ºCLICK ON PIC FOR PiPº

www.dabsoflight.com

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by RickeyM » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:47 pm

There is a source I've been getting my capacitors from, Handmade Electronics . Quick shipping and great prices.

RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Maxxwire » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:00 am

I saw a lot of really interesting things over at Handmade Electronics from AC Power accessories to Capacitors and more!

Thanks for the link Rickey! I'll put it on my own list and go back and check out their WBT products when I get around to upgrading my speakerwire terminations.

~Maxx~

A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

ºCLICK ON PIC FOR PiPº

www.dabsoflight.com

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by mastemc » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:04 pm

I have a question, why not use the digital outs instead of doing the mods for the RCA outputs?

mastemc
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

Next

Return to Do It Yourself Home Theater