[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - The AC Power Principals In Action²

Advanced search
It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:40 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - The AC Power Principals In Action²

The AC Power Principals In Action²

This forum is where you can give tips or talk about building your own stuff

Moderator: jttar

by Maxxwire » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:00 am

Purity in Power Transmission is the beginning of Purity in Music Playback...

Sony H-9 MaxxPix

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Maxxwire » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:45 am

Late in 2002 I sidelined the DB 930 in favor of Vacuum Tube separates in an attempt to flesh out more resolution from the Audio System's new 5 ps jitter i2s Bus Digital front end. This plan worked progressively better and better for 8 years running as the Conrad-Johnson Vacuum Tube Power Amp and Counterpoint Tube-FET Preamp with their respective contingents of rare 40-50 year old high quality vintage Vacuum Tubes amplifying the the modified Theta DAC's rendering of the ultra low jitter .99999 fine silver i2s interfaced 24 bit capable Digital processors with their pure silver wired outboard 3 Amp power supplies in their $7,700 Digital front end which continually turned in an effortlessly more revealing sonic performance than the DB 930 could render for 8 continuous years...     

When Furutech developed the world's first Pure Copper Outlet and released it in late 2010 both the Tube Separates and the DB 930 benefited from its ultra tight grip and much cleaner delivery of AC Power and the Vacuum Tube separates could still turn in a much better sounding Musical performance that was until I got a Furutech FI-28 Rhodium Plated Pure Copper AC Plug to experiment and outfitted the OEM power cord of the DB 930 with one on order to see how feasible it might be to outfit the 9 power cords in the Vacuum Tube separates Reference Audio System with the Furutech FI-28 and that was when the whole sonic paradigm of my Audio Syatem began to shift very quickly in favor of the DB 930...  

Despite the many advantages in wiring and Line Conditioning that the Vacuum Tube separates still had upgrading the OEM power cord of the DB 930 with the the Furutech FI-28 Rhodium Plated Pure Copper AC Plug enabled the 1999 Sony non-ES Receiver to clearly surpass the sound quality of the Vacuum Tube separates! This left me wondering exactly how one plug upgrade could have made such a dramatic difference and brought the DB 930 back from 8 years of sonic inferiority to sounding so much better than the $25,000 Vacuum Tube separates.  

It took me several months of continued experimentation with the DB 930 to finally be able to understand what advantage an Integrated Receiver like the DB 930 has over separates when it comes to high quality AC Power Delivery Upgrades. Once the DB 930 had demonstrated that it sounded better than the Vacuum Tube separates I decided to fully upgrade the DB 930's AC Power Delivery System by transferring the Reference quality FIM power cord and the Vans Evers Programmable Reference Quality Line Conditioner which has given the Vacuum Tube separates such a clear sonic advantage for almost a decade so I decided to give the $600 Sony Receiver all of the advantages that the Vacuum Tube separates had been accustomed to.

First I upgraded the AC Plug on the DB 930's new dedicated Brick Wall Surge Protector which interfaces directly with the Furutech GTX-D Pure Copper Outlet with a Furutech FI-25M Gold Plated UPOCC AC Plug...

Then I decided to connect the DB 930 to its MOV-less Series Mode Brick Wall Filter with the very finest and most highly credentialed Power Cord I own which is the First Impression Music (FIM) power cord with its 9 Solid Core Pure Copper Conductors which are terminated with Ohno Continuous Cast (OCC) Ultra Pure Rhodium Plated Copper Plugs..  

This is an excerpt from a power cord review...

This power cable is unbelievable. When you pick it up, it just retains its shape! You almost need tools in order to bend it. Well, not really, but you catch my drift. It really is an extremely stiff cable that has to be bent in shape before connecting. It uses 9 2.5mm solid core conductors and that doesn't go unnoticed! Not too surprisingly, the cable sounds the way it feels: very controlled and very dynamic. It is easily the most lively power cable that I've come across, even beating the Transparent Powerlink XL in that respect. Detail and focus are excellent all round. The bass is meaty, the mids are dynamic and very "live" and even if you'd expect this, the high frequencies aren't coarse or brittle at all.

The picture below shows what the FIM Power Cord and Brick Wall Filter look like together in application...

Next I brought in the Mike VansEvers Model 12 Reference Line Conditioner with its unique Transient Impedance Programmability for the DB 930 to run directly and  discretely off of with its Furutech FI-28M (R) Pure Copper Rhodium Plated AC Plug terminating its Furutech Alpha 3 Ohno Continuous Cast Single Crystal Copper power cord...

In the 12 years that I have owned the Sony STR DB 930 Receiver I had absolutely no idea that it ever had the potential to turn out sounding like it does now at the end of 2011 equipped with the high quality wiring and Reference quality Line Conditioning that had once been reserved for use by the Vacuum Tube separates! Because of its newly enhanced AC Power Delivery System the DB 930 is now an absolute joy to listen to because the detail is amazing and each and every note is so fully and tight formed. Although my favorite Music sounds so much better than it ever has before more fascinatingly pieces of Music that I don't normally care to listen to that often have now been transformed into much more appealing pieces of Music with a PRAT that was missing before which is everything I had hoped for and so much more from the DB 930.

Sony H-9 MaxxPix

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Maxxwire » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:35 am

This is the very first aftermarket power cord that I ever bought and I purchased it used for $25 which I later realized was a quite a bargain because it retailed for $250 and was designed by the late Bob Crump who founded TG Audio in 1984 who was also a friend and associate of the legendary John Curl for whom he designed power cords for Parasound Audio equipment.

While this has always been a good power cord in my A/V System the fundamental flaws of production line assembly can be seen here in the way that the high conductance silverclad Copper conductors have been soldered to the IEC plug greatly reducing their electrical efficiency.

The first thing that drew my attention to this power cord years ago was the fact that Bob Crump had designed it with 4 18 AWG conductors for both the positive and return lines. By combining 2 of these 18 AWG conductors it creates the equivalent of a 15 AWG conductor and combining 2 of those 15 AWG conductors creates the equivalent of a 12 AWG conductor thus making this a 12 AWG silverclad Copper power cord.

Using the Furutech FI-11(G) Pure Copper AC and IEC Plugs that had been on the computer's power cord I upgraded this power cord that Bob Crump had designed over a decade ago by doing better justice than the modest pricepoint he was charging for them could afford do for this fine power cord.

Fortunately Furutech Plugs have a generous 12 AWG X 2 wire accommodation at each wire terminal so each of the 2 X 18=15 AWG bundled wires fit easily with 1 on each side of the termination screws on each of the AC and IEC Pure Copper Plugs for solderless high pressure termination.

After the Furutech Pure Copper Plug upgrade I placed the Modified Crump power cord back between the Tice Line Conditioner and the Bravia Monitor and my eyes could hardly believe the improvement that it made!

The only Video reception I have for the Bravia are the QAM channels over Comcast Basic cable and I had always assumed that for $11/mo it must be a lower quality broadcast than standard encrypted cable, but I now realize that theory is just not true. With the computer's Furutech FI-25 upgraded Synergistic Research power cord and the Bravia with its Furutech FI-11 Modified Crump power cord I can finally see the quality of programming that I have been receiving all along, but was unable to enjoy because of the inferior quality AC and IEC Plugs with their poor quality terminations on these otherwise high quality silverclad Copper conductor Power Cords. Which goes without saying that these startling results all originate with the spectacular Furutech GTX-D Pure Copper Outlet...

-----------------
A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

The OCCC Furu-Charged Sony DB 930

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Maxxwire » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:15 am

Last year I decided that it was time to custom build a power cord for my Win 7 x64 desktop computer which at the time was being used as the primary Digital transport for my Sony DB 930 Receiver. As I have been doing for the last 12 years I went down to the Audio Shop to find the best deal I could on a good quality used (broken in) power cord made by either a talented local wire maker or a reputable brand name manufacturer and then upgrade the low quality plugs that they are almost most always outfitted with.

Although I found a number of good quality power cords to choose from I finally decided on the $250 MSRP Synergistic Research Alpha A/C Coupler that features 12 AWG silver clad copper conductors which my friend who owns the Audio Shop let me have for $40. At the time I had a pair of Furutech FI-11M (G) and FI-11 IEC (G) gold plated Pure Copper AC Plugs available from a previous power cord upgrade and so I re-terminated the Synergistic Research Alpha A/C Coupler with them as shown in the picture above.

The amount of audible improvement derived from a power cord upgrade on a desktop computer used as a Digital Audio transport is fractional compared to the audible improvements that can be achieved from any other piece of equipment in an Audio System, but unlike many of my previous posts concerning the improvements in sound quality that different quality AC Plugs can bring this post is not so much about the amount of audible improvement that the re-terminated Alpha A/C Coupler brought during its temporary assignment supplying power to the desktop computer. Rather the purpose of this post is to document the step by step upgrading of the Alpha A/C Coupler power cord to an advanced level of build quality and eventually transferred to use with much more responsive Audio equipment where the evolution this series of ever increasing quality Pure Copper AC Plug upgrades have an opportunity to come into full effect.  

The next step was to upgrade the 12 AWG silver clad conductor of the Alpha A/C Coupler with a pair of Furutech FI-25 gold plated Pure Copper AC and IEC Plugs. It continued to supply power to the desktop computer and so as expected the AC Plug upgrade rendered a small but audible improvement in the sound quality of the Audio System as a result.

After the amazing success of the DB 930 Receiver in far exceeding the sound quality of my $25,000 Vacuum Tube Audio System once its OEM power cord was terminated with a Furutech FI-28 (R) Rhodium Plated Pure Copper AC Plug I decided to re-terminate all of the power cords in my primary Audio System with FI-28 (R) AC Plugs. This included the Digital Transport which at the time continued to be the Win 7 x64 desktop computer which was using the Furutech FI-28 Rhodium Plated Pure Copper Plugs as pictured above.

After the Alpha A/C Coupler was outfitted with the Furutech FI-28M (R) and FI-28 (R) IEC Rhodium Plated Pure Copper Plugs as seen in the photo above I began using it with a Wadia 151 PowerDAC Class D PWM Digital Integrated Amp that I acquired recently and it finally had the opportunity to demonstrate the full potential capability of what once was a moderately capable used $40 power cord to be able to evolve into a power cord capable of producing an order of magnitude improvement in sound quality in a primary piece of Digital Audio equipment.

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Maxxwire » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:30 am

The other day I was thinking about the transition from using my Vacuum Tube Audio System with the Modified Conrad-Johnson MV-52 Tube power amp with its excellent quality Magnetek transformers, high quality Polypropylene Capacitors in the Power Supply and its $700 set of old stock '60's Vacuum Tubes which include a quad of rare GE 6CA7 output Tubes along with its Counterpoint Tube/FET Preamp to the decidedly solid state Sony DB 930 Receiver. These two Audio Systems have practically nothing in common with the exception of the AC Power Delivery System that they use.

If I count the purchase of the VansEvers Line Conditioners as as the early potential for Reference quality AC Power delivery in my Audio System then the beginnings of that Delivery System were in the spring of 2003. Through scores and scores of AC Plug, AC Outlet and power cord upgrades most of which I have described on this thread I always credited the Vacuum Tube Audio equipment which I was listening to at the time as being the source of the multitude of sonic improvements in the sound quality of the Music I was playing.

And then came my shock of the decade... One day about 8 years after I first started building this Reference Quality AC Power Delivery System I decided to experiment by plugging my Sony DB 930 Receiver into the same source of AC Power that the Vacuum Tube Audio System had been using for all of those years and I was stunned when I heard not only the same high quality Music with all of the same sonic improvements that I had heard from the Vacuum Tube Audio equipment in place Which I had spent nearly a decade developing, but the DB 930 with its dedicated single power cord delivery was instantly upstaging the sound quality of the Vacuum Tube gear by a generously wide margin!

How is it then that all those years of continuous improvements and upgrades in sound quality by way of improvements in the AC Power Delivery System that the Vacuum Tube Audio gear could have instantaneously and directly transferred all of those sonic attributes with the exception of its own unique sonic signature to the DB 930 Receiver? I have become convinced that those 100's of improvements and refinements in sonic attributes which had accrued over all those years of improving the AC Power Delivery System were not the property of the Vacuum Tube gear in the first place, but rather they are the property of whichever Audio gear is competent enough to avail itself of the benefits of using that enhanced AC Power Delivery System by turning the Reference Quality AC Power into a Reference Quality Music Signal.

"The audio signal that exits from every component used to be AC from your wall"...     

-----------------
A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Maxxwire » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:55 pm

The other day I was reading a post on an Audio related forum and the author was recommending the Audio Art Statement II Power Cable which uses Furutech FI-28 Rhodium Plated AC and IEC Plugs which interested me because on the last several Power Cords that I have built I used the same Plugs. I went to the Audio Art website and found the power cord that he was so enthused about. This is a redaction of the ad for the Statement II Power Cable...

Being accustomed to DIY Power Cable prices at first I thought the $650 must be for a 2 meter length of OCC Copper conductor with Furutech FI-28R Plugs, but as I read the ad further I found out that the advertised price of $650 was for a 1 meter length and that a standard 2 meter length adds $100 to the price.

At $750 for a 2 meter length of Statement II Power Cable this power cable was getting rather expensive, but as I read further I discovered that although this cable had the price of an OCC Copper power cable the conductor they were using was actually silver coated OFC Copper!

For a DIY Power Cord cost comparison I will use a similar Power Cord that I which I put together. I purchased the Synergistic Research silver clad conductor for this cable at the local Audio Shop for $40 and then terminated it with Furutech FI-28 Rhodium Plated Pure Copper Plugs and the total cost was $242. Although these power cables are not exactly the same in all respects by using DIY fabrication and according to cost involved I could have built 3 of these Synergistic Research/Furutech FI-28R Power Cables which have the similar kind of silver/copper conductor as well as the exact same Furutech FI-28R AC and IEC Plugs as the $750 Statement II Power Cable.

So how does the cost of the 2 meter $750 Statement II Power Cable compare with with an OCC Single Crystal Copper conductor with the exact same Furutech FI-28 AC and IEC Plugs that I recently built?

This latest OCC Single Crystal Copper DIY Power Cord of mine cost less than $400 to build which at first may seem quite a bit for a Power Cord, but by comparison to the many commercial power cords which have much poorer quality conductors of which the $750 Statement II Power Cable is just one example the DIY OCC Copper Power Cord will not only perform at a much higher level, but it costs about 1/2 as much as a commercial power cord like the $750 Statement II. By making DIY Power Cables we are at liberty to choose to build a Power Cord at any price-point with the exact conductor and AC Plugs that we need for the Audio equipment that it will run.

These examples of the price disparity between commercial power cords and DIY Power Cords exists at all price-points and every grade of Power Cord. I am constantly amazed at how much excess markup is added to the price of commercially marketed power cords over what it would cost an individual to build the same quality Power Cord or even better. I have seen $2,000 power cords which were sold terminated with the same $6 Leviton 8215-C Hospital Grade Plug that is featured at the very top of the first page of this thread.

I realize that these retailers are just trying to make a living, but we have the option to implement our DIY fabrication skills and exercise our choice to either save 2-3 times the cost over buying a commercial power cord or build a Power Cord that is 2-3 times higher in quality.

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by RickeyM » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:24 am

Hey Maxx, is there anything currently on the market comparable to the power condotioners you use on your 'DB930?
RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Maxxwire » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:55 am

RickeyM- Ten years ago when I was auditioning line conditioners I had full access to any of the models that passed through my friend's Audio Shop. I brought home and tested brands such as Audio Prism, Chang Lightspeed and even a $1,400 Transparent Audio Ultra PowerBank...

...but none of them could come close to the excellent way in which the VansEvers Model 12 Reference Line Conditioner powers my DB930 ...

Since I bought both the Analog and Digital version of the Model 12 I have not felt the need to audition any other Line Conditioners so I can't comment on the comparative quality of newer gear. I wish that I could be of more help to you because as you know Line Conditioning is very important to getting peak performance from your Audio equipment. I used to have 'VansEvers' on Audiogon bookmarked and I have seen a couple of Model 12's and several other much larger of his Line conditioners like the Model 83 show up at very reasonable prices. My best advice would be to try before you buy if possible to insure that you find the right Line Conditioning for your Audio gear.  

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

Previous

Return to Do It Yourself Home Theater