[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - The AC Power Principals In Action²

Advanced search
It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:02 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - The AC Power Principals In Action²

The AC Power Principals In Action²

This forum is where you can give tips or talk about building your own stuff

Moderator: jttar

by Maxxwire » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:15 pm

The Furutech FP Alpha 3 OCC Single Crystal Copper power cord has brought to life the playback of my 1999 Sony DB 930 Receiver not only in ways which I never imagined, but in ways that my $25,000 Vacuum Tube Audio Separates System simply could not manage because the DB 930 receives all of its Line Conditioned AC Power from just this one Single Crystal Copper powercord!

~Maxx~

Sony H-9 MaxxPix

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Maxxwire » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:50 pm

This is my $25,000 Vacuum Tube Reference Audio System that has taken me 9 years to build and perfect. In 2002 I replaced the DB 930 with my first pair of Preamp and Power Amp Vacuum Tube Separates and at the time they did sound much better and increasingly better as I modified them and applied the Outlets and AC Plugs that were available at the time better, but with the application of the   using an Outlet and AC Plugs that were not available until 2009-2010 and because of its simplified AC Power Delivery as an Integrated Receiver the DB 930 once again assumed its rightful place at the center of my Reference Stereo Audio System with the ability to render high resolution Music in a way tat the Vacuum Tube System just can not match or even come close to.

-----------------
A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

The OCC Copper Furu-Charged Sony DB 930

Sony H-9 MaxxPix

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by RickeyM » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:32 pm

Is there a currently available option to the power conditioning arrangement you're using on your DB-930?
RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Maxxwire » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:00 am

RickeyM-  I have not seen a VansEvers Model 12 Reference like I am using with the DB 930 or any other single line in single line out Power Conditioner available for quite a long time. The concept of Mike VansEvers inexpensive single input/ single output line conditioner was first came to fruition in 1997 and was hailed by Soundstage Magazine as far more effective design than the multi outlet models of the same design which is congruent with the testing I've done within my Audio System.

Unfortunately since then the market has been flooded with multi-outlet line conditioners that while being very convenient they are not able to deliver the same kind of pure un-obfuscated AC Power that a single line output line conditioner is capable of. You might be able to come up with a DIY single outlet line conditioner design that delivers better quality AC Power to Audio equipment than all of the multi-outlet designs which fail to deliver the same kind of crisp and clean sound even the ones with $50 Phosphor Bronze outlets.

Sony H-9 MaxxPix

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by RickeyM » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:35 pm

It bears repeating that the main point of this thread is that Sony gear is sensitive to how it gets it's "juice". Any nickel plated parts in the AC power delivery chain that can be replaced with parts with metals of better conductivity will result in an improvement in sound quality. This also applies apparently to the wall AC outlets as well.
RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Maxxwire » Fri May 25, 2012 2:28 pm

I have learned much from providing Reference Quality AC Power Delivery to my Sony DB 930 Receiver in that it now sounds amazingly better than my Conrad-Johnson powered $25,000 Vacuum Tube Audio System. The reason for this is that although the DB 930 Receiver uses the same Reference Quality line conditioning it has the distinct advantage of having one single high quality Furutech Single Crystal OCC Pure Copper power cord which simultaneously supplies power to its Digital Processing, Preamp and Power Amp.

Whereas the 40X as expensive Vacuum Tube Audio System relies on a total of 9 power cords and an 8 socket PS Audio Extension Link to divide the power and distribute it to each piece of equipment in the 'separates' configuration which in so doing degrades the quality of the power going to each individual piece of equipment that it prevents this obviously much better built Audio equipment from performing at the levels it was designed to.

The Sony DB 930 now sounds so amazingly superior to the much better built and much more expensive $25,000 Vacuum Tube Audio System using the same AC Power Delivery System with the same Reference Quality Line Conditioning for the simple reason that it uses just one source of AC Power and one power cord for AC Power Delivery to its singular AC/DC Power Transformer as opposed to the multiple power cords and multiple power supplies in the Vacuum Tube Audio System which must share in the AC Power delivered to them thus degrading the performance of each of the 9 pieces in this 'separates' Audio System.  

As Steve Hoffman once told me..."Mo' Simple, Mo' Betta!"

Sony H-9 MaxxPix

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Maxxwire » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:30 pm

Following some early success with AC Power Delivery upgrades I made every effort I could to discover just how much potential benefit there can be obtained from upgrading the weak links in the AC Power Delivery to my Audio equipment. The most significant breakthrough came in late 2010 when Furutech released the World's first Pure Copper Outlet which took the performance of every piece of my Audio equipment to an entirely new level that was not possible with the very poor quality weak link of an outlet that was in the wall before souring each note of Music.

Seen here along side the Furutech FI-28 AC Plug which features Rhodium Plated Pure Copper Blades is the Furutech GTX Pure Copper Duplex Outlet along with its carbon fiber faceplate. The quality of the electrical wall outlet is probably the most often ignored $1.50 poor quality existing weak link in an Audio System's AC Power Delivery Network and has the singular capability to compromise the sound quality of each and every piece of Audio equipment that receives AC Power from it. I credit the installation of the Furutech GTX Pure Copper Outlet with being the first and most significant step toward attaining the unprecedented levels of playback resolution that my Audio equipment has undergone this past year.  

Over this 5th year of my quest to explore the potential ramifications of eliminating weak links in the AC Power Delivery System upgrading to the Furutech GTX Pure Copper outlet along with an FI-28 terminated Ohno Continuous Cast Single Crystal Copper Furutech Alpha 3 power cord was able to make true Giant Killer out of my moderately priced $600 Sony DB 930 with its simplified all in one AC Power Delivery System.

From the very first highly successful Hospital Grade AC Plug Upgrades I did back in 2006 to the more advanced applications in 2011 and 2012 there has always been just one set of guidelines and that is the AC Power Principals which explain very clearly how everything we hear from our Audio Systems was once AC Power coming from the wall.

If you haven't checked out the AC Power Principals already I invite you to click anywhere on the picture below and it will take you to Doug Blackburn's 1997 article from Soundstage which has been my guide to enabling my $600 Sony Receiver to sound incredibly better than my $25,000 Vacuum Tube Audio System has ever sounded even with its $700 set of 1960's Vacuum Tubes which alone cost more than the Sony DB 930 which owes 100% of its amazingly improved sound quality to the application of the AC Power Principals...  

Sony H-9 MaxxPix

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Maxxwire » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:32 am

I was going through my email and I came across the original message from November 8, 2010 in which Chris from VH Audio notified me that he had shipped my Furutech GTX-D Pure Copper Outlet. This was great news for me because at the time the sound of my entire Audio System was being held hostage by a 30 year old spec grade AC outlet which was so corroded that it was very literally making my sweet sounding Vacuum Tube Audio equipment sound harsh and sour!

After I realized that the only thing that had changed for my Audio System after I moved residences for the first time in 15 years was that I was no longer using the Furutech FP-15 Phosphor Bronze (Copper Alloy) Outlet which I had given to an Audiophile friend of mine when I moved I quickly got on line to find the best solution for the very poor sounding situation that this spec grade had my Audio System in. Very fortunate in light of the predicament the sound of my Audio System was in I found out that just a week earlier Furutech had released the very first Pure Copper Outlet and although I could have gotten another Phosphor Bronze Outlet I decided that considering the very poor way that my Audio equipment now sounded that it would probably be best to go with the new Pure Copper Outlet...

A few days later the Furutech GTX-D Duplex Outlet and the Furutech 104-D AC Carbon Fiber Cover Plate arrived which has now been 1 1/2 years ago and as I look around at my Audio and Video System and its AC Power Delivery System and the completely higher level it now functions it can all be traced back to the day that the Carbon Fiber Dampened Furutech GTX-D Pure Copper Outlet which eventually enabled the single outlet delivery of AC Power directly to the Brick Wall Series Mode Surge Protector, the Vans Evers Reference Line Conditioner and the Sony DB 930 Receiver by which it was able to sound many times better than the $25,000 Conrad-Johnson Powered Vacuum Tube Audio System.

Sony H-9 MaxxPix

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Maxxwire » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:00 am

From the very first post of this thread I have been experimenting with using different kinds of AC Plugs in an effort to understand how using each of them would effect the performance and sound quality of various pieces of my Audio equipment. By the time February 2011 rolled around I had tried the Levition 8215-C Brass Bladed Plug, Furutech FI-11M(C) Pure Copper Bladed Plug,  Furutech FI-11M(G) Pure Copper Bladed Plug and the Furutech FI-25 UPOCC Copper Bladed Plug which left the 2009 Furutech FI-28M(R) Rhodium Plated Pure Copper Plug that I had not tried yet.

I hadn't ever tried a Rhodium Plated Plug because from the accounts I read it could take the sound away from the warmth I was getting from the gold plated plugs I was using and take it towards being colder and yet more detailed. I chose to try the first FI-28M(R) Rhodium Plated Pure Copper Bladed AC Plug I ordered from Chris at AH Audio and put it on the OEM power cord  of the DB 930 in order to try and get an idea of how this new Rhodium Plated plug would effect its sound quality because it takes 9 power cords to run the Vacuum Tube Reference Audio System and if the Furutech FI-28 did well on the DB 930 then I would then proceed to upgrade the AC plugs on the power cords in the $25,000 Vacuum Tube Audio System incrementally over time.

Back in 2002 the DB 930 was the main source of amplification for my Audio System which was fronted by a $10,000 Audio Alchemy i2s Bus Dual Processor/ Theta DAC Digital front end. When I sold my Rega P-3 Turntable which I voiced the Digital front end with and got Conrad-Johnson/AMC Vacuum Tube separates the DB 930 got bumped into part time duty doing TV Audio and was subsequently forced into retirement the next year when it was replaced in performing those duties with a Musical Fidelity Vacuum Tube Headphone Amp.

So how did the new Furutech FI-28 Rhodium Plated Pure Copper AC Plug do on the DB 930's OEM power cord? The DB 930 did so well that this singular Furutech FI-28M(R) AC Plug upgrade elevated the sound quality the DB 930 to a point that for the first time ever it sounded noticeably better than the $25,000 Vacuum Tube System even though it was running on inferior quality Line Conditioning!

This remarkable achievement of demonstrating performance and sound quality superior to that of the excellent sounding Vacuum Tube Separates and their full complement of 1960's Vacuum Tubes by the $600 1999 Sony DB 930 Receiver with its new Furutech FI-28M(R) Rhodium Plated Pure Copper AC Plug eventually earned the DB 930 the permanent use of the VansEvers Model 12 Reference Programmable Line Conditioner as well as the Reference quality 5 AWG 9 Solid Core Conductor First Impression Music power cord with its Rhodium Plated UPOCC Copper AC Plugs and eventually having its power cord upgraded to a Furutech FP Alpha 3 OCC Single Crystal Copper power cord which took its sound quality into a level which no other piece of Audio equipment I've auditioned over the last decade can even come close to matching...

...but it all started that day I decided to try that first Furutech FI-28M(R) Rhodium Plated Pure Copper AC Plug on the OEM captured power cord of the DB 930 which eventually culminated in the DB 930 taking back its rightful place at the center of My Audio System.  

Sony H-9 MaxxPix

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Maxxwire » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:55 pm

Last May when I was doing preliminary research on the feasibility of using the Furutech FP Alpha 3 Single Crystal Copper power cord as an upgrade for the DB 930's OEM power cord I came across an article in Canada HI-Fi entitled the 'Furutech DIY Power Cable Project' in which they made a DIY Furutech power cable with the same Furutech FP Alpha 3 bulk power cable and FI-28 Rhoduim Plated Pure Copper AC Plugs that I built the DB 930's new power cord from.

I paid special attention to this article because the author not only built the same Furutech Single Crystal Copper power cord, but he also included listening impressions of how his $4,000 Classé Audio CA-2100 amplifiersounded after the Furutech Alpha 3 power cord upgrade...

"Once the cable was burnt in, the improvements were even more evident. I later used the Furutech power cable with my Classé Audio CA-2100 amplifier and found that the improvements in the noise level and low frequencies were almost identical, if not more noticeable with this higher-end amplifier. As with any audio upgrade, your experience will be influenced by the audio components that are in your particular music system."

When I first read this review I had not yet Modded the DB 930 so I had nothing to compare these results to, but when I revisited the Canada Hi-Fi article just recently I noticed that the author's $4,000 Classé Audio CA-2100 amplifierhad a much different set of benefits from this power cord upgrade than the DB 930 did from the same Furutech Alpha 3 power cord upgrade.

As the author of the article noted "As with any audio upgrade, your experience will be influenced by the audio components that are in your particular music system."

My very early reaction to the DB 930's Furutech Alpha 3 power cord from a June 22, 2011 post was as follows...

"The DB 930 has had the Furutech FP Alpha 3 OCC Single Crystal power cord for just over a week now and the of all the power cords I've broken in even the .9999 Fine Silver power cords with Teflon dielectric broke in faster. That said, the Alpha 3 showed remarkable improvement on the 3rd day and at the end of the first week I was hearing the DB 930 reproduce a kind of Music that the English language strains to adequately describe in that the Harmonic Structure of the Music is no longer just well fleshed out, but rather since the DB 930 has been using the Alpha 3 it now seems to have created an added dimension where the Attack Transients no longer move linearly but rather create a holographic presence in the soundstage."

By August that 'holographic presence in the soundstage' that was present just a week after the DB 930's Furutech Alpha 3 power cord upgrade had matured into a sonic map of the original recording venue which is the DB 930's version of the low noise level associated with this power cord upgrade.

How could it possibly be that the $600 1999 model Sony DB 930 could derive such a shockingly greater and more complex set of sonic improvements than the $4,000  Classé Audio CA-2100 amplifier from the same Furutech Alpha 3 power cord upgrade?

My opinion on this matter goes back to last April when long before the Furutech Alpha 3 power cord upgrade the DB 930 did have the same Furutech FI-28 AC Plug that it uses now terminating its OEM power cord and that was precisely when the DB 930 first began to sound better than the $25,000 Vacuum Tube Reference Audio System for the first time in 9 years even though it was using inferior Line Conditioning at the time.

So how does the DB 930 manage to sound so much better than these much more expensive pieces of Audiophile gear? What possible advantage could this non-ES Sony Receiver have to be able to access such amazing sonic improvements from the same power cord upgrade as a $4,000 Classé Audio CA-2100 amplifier?

My theory is that when it comes to AC Power Delivery the simpler and more direct AC Power can be delivered to each component in the Audio system the better its performance will be. In this case the DB 930 is an integrated Receiver and when the Furutech Alpha 3 power cord delivers high quality VansEvers Line Conditioned power to its transformer it is then distributed to the Digital Processing, Preamp and Amplification circuitry simultaneously bringing the benefits of its high quality AC Power to all parts of the Receiver in the simplest fashion possible using just one high quality power cord.     

In the article the Furutech Alpha 3 power cord was used on the just the Classé Audio CA-2100 power amp in the final listening evaluation and even though it did show substantial sonic benefits by comparison the DB 930 as a result of the same power cord upgrade was able to 'reproduce a kind of Music that the English language strains to adequately describe'.

About 9 years ago I retired the DB 930 Receiver and started using separate components in my Audio System and they did sound significantly better, but when I was finally able to upgrade the AC Power Delivery System with Pure Copper components starting with the world's first Pure Copper Outlet the Furutech GTX-D the whole paradigm shifted as the delivery of high quality AC Power took precedence and empowered the simple one stop AC Power distribution of the DB 930 to access the most potent of all upgrades and out perform Audiophile gear with much better build qualities at many times its pricepoint.

So far I have only done this high quality power cord upgrade on my DB 930, but I don't see why other competent all-in-one Receivers couldn't derive the same type of benefits from their simplified one stop power distribution although it does require a source of high quality AC Power and a means of equally high quality delivery. The common wisdom is that build quality is supreme when it comes to enhanced performance and sound quality, but over the last 10 months I have heard my humble Receiver prove in a very undeniable way that its AC Power Delivery upgrades were able to allow it to give an authentic Musical performance that the superior build quality of much more expensive Audio equipment are unable to render as the Canadian Hi-Fi article so aptly demonstrates.

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

PreviousNext

Return to Do It Yourself Home Theater