[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - Well I've Done it! Mav's Power Conditioners

Advanced search
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:29 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Well I've Done it! Mav's Power Conditioners

Well I've Done it! Mav's Power Conditioners

This forum is where you can give tips or talk about building your own stuff

Moderator: jttar

by maverick11359 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:13 pm

Thanks Maxx for the vote of confidence in the Mav's.

Funny one year ago when i first tried selling the Mav3.1  on ebay i was confronted by a person that recognised my call sign maverick and assumed correctly i was using parts that I purchased from his site and immediately warned me about not having the required Australian standards stamp and classification to sell the Mav , his concern was his parts would be the only evidence if their was a failure or fire. 
         Time changes peoples inpressions and now having talked to him directly by phone on a couple of times over the last year for other gear with long 1 hr conversations he's become a friend and he can know appreciate that my idea was a sound one and was intrigued at my idea and simplicity of making the Mav idiot and fire proof (still a secret).

Anyway thanks again for the support.

maverick
maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by mykyll2727 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:58 am

Mav_I'm happy to report that the 3.1 you made for me is working just fine and I couldn't be happier with it. Despite the fact that I've pretty much solved my bass issues I still haven't ruled out adding a power amp to the mix. If I do, and I'm fairly certain that at some point I will, you can be sure I'll be having you make up another one for me.

On another note: after reading your post on your subs I was surprised that I had never thought of hooking up mine in that manner. I've always just run them out from my mains. I'll be giving using the B speaker outs a shot and see what the sound is like. I'll report back on my findings._Mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by Maxxwire » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:53 pm

Maverick- Are you going to be making a 2,400 VA version of the Mav's 3.1 Line Conditioner for high wattage output Analog Power Amps?

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by maverick11359 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:31 pm

Maverick- Are you going to be making a 2,400 VA version of the Mav's 3.1 Line Conditioner for high wattage output Analog Power Amps?

~Maxx~

G'day Maxx,
            Food for thought!
               I never really thought about it before but it wouldn't be hard to increase thre Mav' to 120volt -20amp device for a heavier demand ,everthing would be a little larger and higher ratting ,from the cable,plugs to the thermal circiut breakers. I could even think about adding  a thyristor into circuit as a surge protection device next time ....... mmmmmmm interesting ideas.

Mav'

maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by maverick11359 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:11 pm

On 2007-12-06 15:58, mykyll2727 wrote:
Mav_I'm happy to report that the 3.1 you made for me is working just fine and I couldn't be happier with it. Despite the fact that I've pretty much solved my bass issues I still haven't ruled out adding a power amp to the mix. If I do, and I'm fairly certain that at some point I will, you can be sure I'll be having you make up another one for me.

On another note: after reading your post on your subs I was surprised that I had never thought of hooking up mine in that manner. I've always just run them out from my mains. I'll be giving using the B speaker outs a shot and see what the sound is like. I'll report back on my findings._Mykl

G'day myky,
            Good to hear from you my friend!
        Glad that the "Mav" is still quietly trundling along.

Let me know how you fair with the alternate suby connection.I'm still experimenting (schools out) ,I need to possibly  do some more modding on those Sansui subys  before I'm totaly satisfied.

Mav'

maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Maxxwire » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:39 pm

Maverick- You have demonstrated beyond all doubt that Mav's 3.1 is a highly effective line conditioner and there is no doubt that you could make a 2,400 va version with an equal or higher build quality and features.

I asked my original question because of all the people I have come across who wouldn't think of running their A/V gear without the benefits of a top quality Line Conditioner like the Mav's 3.1 all of them who had 200-300 wpc and larger Power Amps prefered to run them straight off of the wall preferably from a deicated 120v/20 amp circuit.

Have you noticed this in OZ, or is it just on the 120v North American power grid?

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by maverick11359 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:05 pm

G'day maxx,
              I havn't noticed A trend ,I've looked at the forum boards on occasion on Aussie Hifi / Ht sites and noticed that we still have our skeptics as to power conditioning.In OZ our current draw is half yours because of th 240volt compared to 120volt mains supply,which means we can run smaller conductors and fittings rated up to 10 amps.I still think its ashame that so many guys out there by expensive componets and think by plugging it in to a designated 20amp circiut they are getting the best out of their equipment.

cheers Mav'
maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Maxxwire » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:25 pm

Maverick- Here in North America almost every Audio Fanatic I've come across who has a large Power Amp will prefer to run it straight off of the house current without the benefit of Line Conditioning even though they have every other piece of Audio and Video equipment in their System benefitting from the use of Line Conditioning.

The most common reason I've heard given for this is that while using Line Conditoning has great benefits for low current draw A/V equipment it restricts the dynamics of high output Power Amps because they draw large amounts of current and they feel that Line Conditioning restricts the Power Amps instant access to.

I think that this may just apply to large Power Amps run off of the 120 volt power grid here in North America because the current is twice as high as it would be on a 240 volt grid.

I agree with you about dubios effectiveness of using dedicated lines. I've always wondered how dedicated they could truly be when they are wired into the same fuse box that the rest of the house gets its electricity from.

Highly respected Soundstage Magazine Audio equipment Reviewer Doug Blackburn once said that he used 1 highly effective Line Conditioner to replace several dedicated lines that he had been using and his Audio System sounded much better for it.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by SPCOOLIN » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:39 am

I have run my Parasound 5 x 220wpc amp both ways...Direct to the wall outlet, and from one of the High Current outlets of my Panamax 5300EX...

I notice no restriction of dynamics when running off the Panamax, and also have not noticed any drop in voltage on the digital meter of the Panamax during peaks....

My feeling is that when a circuit or wire, is overloaded...You will see the voltage drop commiserate with the increased current draw during such peaks...

Low voltage/High amperage go hand in hand...One compounds the other in a overloaded wire/circuit situation, and One can also be indication of the other...

Steve~

SPCOOLIN
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by Maxxwire » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:19 pm

Steve- I've read of others who have had the same experience as you have had with running their Power Amps off of Line Conditioners without the dynamics being limited.

Whether or not the dynamics are effected could be System related because so many people have reported compressed dynamics under the same operating circumstances.
Here's Doug Blackburn's explaination of how Power Amps draw power much differently than other low current Audio equipment does-

/>Larger components with higher voltage power supplies, like amplifiers, will have current pulses that are shorter in duration, and higher in magnitude (amps).

This is because amplifiers have to get all their power during the small portion of the AC waveform that is higher in voltage than the power supply in the amplifier. The current pulses vary in frequency and peak depending on the frequencies and volume level of the music being played.

These current demands may well be the reason that it is not too unusual for mid-priced PLCs to sound like they are limiting amplifier performance instead of making them sound better.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

PreviousNext

Return to Do It Yourself Home Theater