[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - Behringer Amp Mod

Advanced search
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:56 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Behringer Amp Mod

Behringer Amp Mod

This forum is where you can give tips or talk about building your own stuff

Moderator: jttar

by RickeyM » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:13 pm

Well Maxx, stage one is in progress. I have unplugged the EP1500's speaker wires and put some 12ga solid core Romex in it's place. The stock wires are some heavy guage tinned wire, terminated with .25 inch female quick connects. I put similar quick connects on the Romex and ran the wires straight to the external x-overs of my Maggie MMG's. Man, the stock wire/circuit board/compound terminal setup was choking of alot of low level detail and harmonics that I'm now hearing.
I have some 15ga solid core wire sacrificed from an air-core inductor to try next but I'll let the Romex "burn-in" first for a while to see how that goes.

The final version of this mod will use some binding posts hard wired in place of the stock terminals.
Well, gotta go. Might as well listen to some tunes while the new wires "burn in"  .
RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Maxxwire » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:31 pm

RickeyM- Glad to hear that you are off to a good start on your Behringer Power Amp Mod!

I just passed 50 hours burn in on the 32 new wires in my CJ Power Amp Mod and it is sounding much better all of the time.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your Behringer Amp Mods as they materialize!

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by RickeyM » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:31 pm

Thanks Maxx, the next move will be an IEC socket and plug upgrade. Right now wire wise, I'm switching back and forth between some Carol SJ00W from Home Depot and a DIY recepe. The DIY has 12ga silver plated leads paralleled with a ground wire around each lead. Each is using a hospital grade plug (Hubbell i think) and a Marinco IEC plug. Each has it's own strengths and weaknesses.
RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Maxxwire » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:55 am

Which IEC socket do you plan on using? As you may know I'm a fan of Furutech IEC sockets.

I also use the Marinco 320 IEC plug. They are also the OEM for the Wattgate 320 IEC.

Many people claim that the the quality of the terminations on a power cord are more citical than the quality of the conductors. What is your take on this?

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by RickeyM » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:00 pm

On 2006-06-28 14:55, Maxxwire wrote:
 Many people claim that the the quality of the terminations on a power cord are more citical than the quality of the conductors. What is your take on this?

~Maxx~

There could be something to that, but the individual parts do make up the whole.

Thanks for the recommendation of the Furutech IEC sockets. Now then, Rhodium or Gold, regular or premium? Choices, choices .
RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Maxxwire » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:26 pm

The way I see it a standard quality IEC socket costs about $1.50. I don't mind paying $15 for a gold plated Furutech IEC socket because it would be of commensurate quality to the Power Cord I like to use.

The price for the kind of Power Cord that would justify the use of a $50 Rhodium plated Premuim grade Furutech IEC socket would be far more than what I would be willing to spend.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by rb » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:19 am

I have the Rhodium plated inlet on my modded DVD-A player.  Cost me $30 from http://www.partsconnexion.com/catalog/ac_products.html
rb
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Maxxwire » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:48 am

Rick- Thanks for the link.

I still plan on going with the gold plated IEC socket to pair with the gold plated IEC plug on the Power Cord I plan on using though.

Its nice to know that there is a Rhodium plated option available that doesn't cost 3 times as much.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by jehill » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:37 am

That's for sure!  Whatever you do, you want to make sure that the same material is used on both the socket and plug.  I never heard of a Rhodium plated contacts until I read this thread.  How does it stack up with Gold?
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by RickeyM » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:55 pm

I haven't had the pleasure of comparing the two myself but, this is from Chris Venhaus's web site describing Furutech IEC sockets.
 "The Furutech Rhodium-plated FI-10(R) IEC inlet can be described in one word: CLEAN. The Gold-plated FI-10(G) sounds a bit warmer and is especially suited for digital or solid state equipment."
RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

Next

Return to Do It Yourself Home Theater