[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - Black Diamond Racing Pyramid Cones

Advanced search
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:24 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Black Diamond Racing Pyramid Cones

Black Diamond Racing Pyramid Cones

This forum is where you can give tips or talk about building your own stuff

Moderator: jttar

by maverick11359 » Fri May 12, 2006 1:51 pm

Gaday Maxx,
             Don't worry my neighbour has been in and also stunned and a believer now like I.
              Between his new room and my old we are spending a lot of time, his quest has just started on room acoustics . I emailed him  your Stereo Times -Art and Science of Audio Tuning and he,s going to  play with gear resonance  as well but last .
              He picked up some new balanced interconnects "very nice"
 They match his speaker cables "SPM Nordost" ( I think I've got that  right).
               They have given his system a more balanced sound unlike the Black mountain( which he was mistaken on and he tells me now they were gold not silver) balanced interconnects,Which were bright and harsh.
              Any way thank you for your faith again i will keep you posted, i have to go and set up my backyard to seat my daughters 21st party guests.
                     cheers Rick.

maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by mykyll2727 » Fri May 12, 2006 7:29 pm

My first impression is that glass would not sound very good under an audio component. But then I know of it being used under components very successfully. One thing I've learned is that several times what at first thought seemed to me wouldn't work ended up working very well. Some things that I thought were sure things ended up not working out at all. You never know. That's where the old "trial and error" comes in. Right now I'm beginning to think that the steel "pedestals" that came with my K90EDs just aren't going to prove satisfactory for me with my mains and center with my DIY stands. Right now I'm just stubbornly trying to make them work. The upside is no matter what the outcome I'm going to learn alot about tuning my speakers._MMMike
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by dahrich » Sat May 13, 2006 4:16 pm

Hello mykyll2727:
Thanks for sharing with me where you put your BDR cones.  I had not tried that location and cone position before.  Unfortunately, my tin ear didn't allow me to hear the changes you experienced.
Thanks again.
Richard
dahrich
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Sat May 13, 2006 10:05 pm

Richard- Since I know that you can easily hear the difference in interconnect upgrades I would say that if you didn't hear a difference when placing the BDR Cones then there probably was no significant difference.

I have 21 different pieces that I Resonance Tuned and no 2 were Tuned alike not even with matching pieces of equipment because a different location will require a different Tuning method.

Its good to take cues from other peole, but even if you have the same equipment you will probably end up using a different Resonance Tuning method because you have a different set up in a different situaton.

I say this because I used to give Tuning advice to people who had the same type of equipment that I did, but I found that every time I did they would come back with radically different results than what I had suggested.

When you find the right Resonance Tuning combination it will be very clear to you! The more pieces in the Audio system that you get properly Tuned, the more pronounced the improvements will become.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by dahrich » Sat May 13, 2006 10:34 pm

Maxx:
Your words are encouraging!
I guess when I read about the dramatic improvement others get in their systems I want to do the same and when I don't I'm not sure what's going on.

But, I'm not about to give up.  It just means turning my attention to other areas.

Thanks,

Richard

dahrich
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by mykyll2727 » Sat May 13, 2006 10:48 pm

On 2006-05-14 02:34, dahrich wrote:
Maxx:
I guess when I read about the dramatic improvement others get in their systems I want to do the same and when I don't I'm not sure what's going on.

But, I'm not about to give up.  It just means turning my attention to other areas.

Thanks,

Richard

Richard_By all means don't give up. I'm sure you didn't get the same results as me is due to the difference in our systems as a whole. I'm sure yours doesn't rest on the same rack as mine for example. BTW when I change that rack I'm sure I'm going to be retuning the DVP. Right now I'm retuning my speakers. I've tuned them countless times and even though I'm pleased with what I have I know I can get more of what I want. Just takes work, and a little help from my friends here at A-quest._MMMike
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by Maxxwire » Sat May 13, 2006 11:41 pm

Maxx:

Thanks,

Richard

Richard- In all honesty my Audio system had so many Resonance related problems in the beginning that it took me 4 entire years before I had enough pieces of equipment Tuned well enough to get any sonic improvements whatsoever!

Your situation is unique and only you can figure out the best solutions.

MMMike and I are just here to remind you that it can be done and the results are spectacular!

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by maverick11359 » Sun May 14, 2006 1:41 pm

Maxx:

Thanks,

Richard

Gaday Richard,
                   Don't be defeated be positive my friend!
         Maxx is spot on when he says everyones system is unique
 .Room build changes from house to house every plaster board,nail ,roof trus,bearer changes the influence of resonance, room acoustics on your system with different audio stands and speaker placements in the mix as well.
      I lucked out picking a componet that showed me and my friends a noticable change in volume of highs first up.
    I put the same shelf under my power amp  and heard no noticeable
 difference, that's not saying their wasn,t one to be had.
   More testing with BDR in the future might change that.
          If I had started with the Rotel P.Amp I mightn't have gone any further.
   So keep on experimenting!

P.S the glass shelf was only the spark ,I,m now going try different thickness Mapple ,pine,MDF boards with the 3 cones , might try a bike tyre inner tube as well(rigid coupling and non coupling).
                            Why not its all fun!
          Cheers MaveRick

maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by dahrich » Sun May 14, 2006 5:38 pm

Hello:
You guys are FANTASTIC What a support group.

Many, many thanks for your encouraging words,,
Regards,
Richard
dahrich
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Sun May 14, 2006 9:05 pm

Richard- About 4 years ago I Decoupled my Digital front end with Sorbothane in hopes that was the right way to Tune it, but because the downstream equipment was not Tuned properly I couldn't tell whether there was an improvement in the Digital front end or not.

2 years later I made a breakthrough in Tuning the Preamp and Power Amp with BDR Cones. As a result I also tried the BDR Cones on the Digital front end. The result it introduced a horrible hardened shrillness to the sound.

I went back to the original Sorbothane that I had been using and found that it was the perfect way to Resonance Tune the Digital front end all along now that I had the downstream equipment Tuned well enough to hear the difference.

This experience taught me that it is possible to have a piece perfectly Tuned and not be able to tell it is because other untuned pieces are interfering with it.

Resonance Tuning is definately a team sport!

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

PreviousNext

Return to Do It Yourself Home Theater