[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - Audio Airware

Advanced search
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:17 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Audio Airware

Audio Airware

This forum is where you can give tips or talk about building your own stuff

Moderator: jttar

by Maxxwire » Mon May 08, 2006 10:52 am

Hail the power of Minwax! I used several coats of Minwax #209 Natural as a topcoat on the American Walnut finished cabinets my JBL speakers over 8 years ago and I haven't had to put Lemon oil or Mineral oil on them even once.

The Dynamat should add the dampening that is recommended along with a high mass rigid platform in the application of pneumatic decoupling.

~Maxx~

-----------------

A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

Explore The New Sony MaxxPix

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by mykyll2727 » Sat May 13, 2006 2:55 pm

Maxx_I'd like to trouble you for exactly how you have your speakers coupled/decoupled. I'm doing some experimenting myself (What else is new ) and would like to apply your method to see what results I get._MMMike
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by Maxxwire » Sat May 13, 2006 10:30 pm

MMMike- The Granite slab is placed on Hybrid Sorbothane footers for Decoupling and a set of BDR Mk3 Cones Rigid Couple the Speaker to the Granite energy sink.

I took this picture after I went from Gravity Coupling to Rigid Coupling the Speakers, but the Cones didn't show up at all.

For me the BDR Cones really improved² the sound of the JBL's! I supect that this was because the speakers were designed to be used "Studio Style" with the transducers in a horizontal array and Gravity Coupling was stifiling their true sonic potential because the speakers were so close to the rigid mass of the Energy Sink.

I hope that your Speaker re-Tuning project goes well. Sometimes Resonance Tuning works best the the 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th time around.

My history with the JBL's started with Rigid Coupling them, then I switched to Decoupling and now I find a combination of the two methods the works simply fantastic²! Go figure!

~Maxx~

-----------------

A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

Explore The New Sony MaxxPix

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by mykyll2727 » Sat May 13, 2006 10:43 pm

Maxx_Thanks. That explains alot of what I wanted to know. Just one thing the granite is decoupled with Sorbo but what does the Sorbo rest on?_MMMike
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by Maxxwire » Sat May 13, 2006 11:51 pm

MMMike- The Hybrid Sorbothane sits on a large metal stand.

I used to read about guys who combined Coupling and Decoupling and I thought "yeah, sure, you betcha!".

Now that I've learned why they were doing it I've realize that its not wise to criticize a methodology until you find out if it works for you or not. Had I been wiser I could have saved a lot of time and tried this earlier.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by mykyll2727 » Sun May 14, 2006 11:56 am

On 2006-05-14 03:51, Maxxwire wrote:
MMMike- The Hybrid Sorbothane sits on a large metal stand.

I used to read about guys who combined Coupling and Decoupling and I thought "yeah, sure, you betcha!".

Now that I've learned why they were doing it I've realize that its not wise to criticize a methodology until you find out if it works for you or not. Had I been wiser I could have saved a lot of time and tried this earlier.

~Maxx~

Thank you sir. That's what I wanted to know. Mike VansEvers at one point suggested I try using rigid coupling and decoupling together. I remember having the same thought as you about it's results. But like you I've learned that I must really try something before I decide that it won't work. Alot of what I thought wouldn't did. Your metal stands are an example. My first inclination is that it would make the sound too bright. But I've learned I can't always go by my first impression. Trust me I'll be giving it a try. BTW I'm already using both techniques together under my speakers and some components with very positive results. Now to fine tune it all._MMMike
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by Maxxwire » Sun May 14, 2006 12:21 pm

The first thing I tried on my Preamp was Decoupling with Sorbothane, then I tried coupling it with Brass Cones, then I went back to Decoupling with a DIY Air Bladder, from there I went to Amuminum Cones, but I finally got my first real Audible upgrades with BDR Mk3 Cones!

21 months later I tried Pneumatic Decoupling the Preamp again with the Townshend Seismic Sink and the sound quality increased an Order of Magnitude. The next Order of Magnitude was reached when I used a set of BDR Mk3 Cones to Couple the Seismic Sink to its stand!

Sometimes it can be a royal pain trying to find the very best method of Resonance Tuning, but when you finally do find it the rewards are not only spectacular but satisfying in knowing that you have finally found the one and only road that could have take your Audio system to this level of excellence!

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Maxxwire » Sun May 14, 2006 12:36 pm

On 2006-05-14 15:56, mykyll2727 wrote:Your metal stands are an example. My first inclination is that it would make the sound too bright. But I've learned I can't always go by my first impression.

MMMike- If the stands were perfect I wouldn't have had to alter anything.

It seems as though the Hybrid Surbothane, 30 lb Granite slabs and BDR Cones have staightened things right out though!

Like when Mike Vans Evers said that its not the goal to eliminate Resonance, but rather to Tune it to our advantage so it isn't clumped up at detrimental fequencies but spread out evenly across the spectrum. This may be the advantage that combining Rigid Coupling and Decoupling has.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by mykyll2727 » Tue May 16, 2006 9:55 am

Maxx_Those Sorbothane sheets that you pointed out and posted a link to have been a godsend for me. I haven't worked out everything yet but have they ever hepled. Thanks so much my friend. I owe you another one. I haven't got the speaker issues completely worked out but I'm well on my way. As far as my DIY isolation platforms they've proven to be just what the doctor ordered. Pretty much have that just right. I still have more testing to do. I'll post my results._MMMike
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by mykyll2727 » Tue May 16, 2006 10:25 am

Maxx_I almost forgot. I tried the Sorbo sheets all over my K90s. Underneath, on top, even taped to the sides. The result is that now more than ever I'm convinced that replacing/upgrading the internal stock damping materials will produce outstanding results. I'm very excited about the prospects._MMMike
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Do It Yourself Home Theater