[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - Audio Airware

Advanced search
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:05 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Audio Airware

Audio Airware

This forum is where you can give tips or talk about building your own stuff

Moderator: jttar

by Maxxwire » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:10 pm

I found out this morning that I had seriously underestimated the Pneumatic Decoupling properties of the Seismic Sink!

I rigid coupled the Seismic Sink with a set of BDR Mk.3 Cones and...

OMG!

The Transparency, Resolution and all of the sonic improvements they bring which I described in detail earlier after the initial instalation DOUBLED!

Excuse me while I kiss the sky!

My only expanation is that the more highly Resonance Tuned an Audio system is the more sensitive it is to fine tuning.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by jttar » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:08 pm

Maxx,

Unbelievable!!! I can only imagine the thrill your feeling after rigid coupling your Seismic Sink. I am really happy that the "bladder buoy" has made such a dramatic difference for you. All your time and hard work has proved worth it once again.

Joe (aka BeastMaster)

jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Maxxwire » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:33 pm

On 2006-04-14 13:41, mykyll2727 wrote:
Maxx_Thanks for the link. WOW!!! That stand sure is something. The design of the Seismic sink has encouraged me to try a DIY platform idea I've been considering for some time. I have some Sorbothane sheets on the way so now I'll give it a try._MMMike

I can't say exactly what effect it will have in your system, but the potential for substantial sonic benefits certainly justify your effort to perfect your own customized version of a Pneumatic Decoupling
device specifically tailored to the needs of your Audio equipment.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Maxxwire » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:43 pm

On 2006-04-14 23:08, jttar wrote:
Maxx,

Unbelievable!!! I can only imagine the thrill your feeling after rigid coupling your Seismic Sink. I am really happy that the "bladder buoy" has made such a dramatic difference for you. All your time and hard work has proved worth it once again.

Joe (aka BeastMaster)

Fortunately the 430+ equipment and wiring upgrades along with the 120+ incremental Resonance Tuning upgrades I did on each of the 21 pieces of equipment in my Stereo system I did over the last 6 years combined to pave the way for the installation and Rigid Coupling of the Seismic Sink which proved to be the SONIC MOTHER LOADE!

Joe, this Stereo system now sounds so good that it makes me weep when I listen to it not only because it sounds so good, but because all those thousands of hours I spent working on it paid off in a way that turned out to exceed even my wildest expectation.

Despite this much appreciate outcome I still think that there is no greater joy than getting an original idea, implementing it and discovering that it improves the sound of your Audio system no matter how small that improvement might be.

They say that the journey is the destination, and I agree.

~Maxx~

A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!
One Half of My A/V System

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Maxxwire » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:31 am

I can't stop wondering what my Tube Power Amp would sound like with Pneumatic Decoupling.

I found a guy named Bicycle Don on eBay who sells a 12" X 2.125" rubber innertube for $2.79.

I may get a couple from him unless I find them locally first and see if putting one of them under an 18" X 12" X 5/8" piece of Granite and placing the Tube Amp on it will approximate the effect that the Seismic Sink had on the Preamp.

~Maxx~

A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!
One Half of My A/V System

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by jttar » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:06 pm

Maxx,

I can relate to the emotions that can sweep over us when listening to music. Whether it's the beauty of the composition or the appreciation of the system it's playing on, there are times when the music can move one to tears.

I will be most interested how the inner tube project works on your CJ power amp. If it is a success, Bicycle Don could be the new Stuart (Captnstarstripe) here on Agoraquest.

Joe (aka BeastMaster)
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Maxxwire » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:51 pm

I was also very interested to know what the results of pneumatically decoupling the CJ Power Amp would be so I went to the nearest bicycle shop and picked up two 12" X 2.125" inner tubes for $5 each and a pump for $17.50.

I placed an inflated inner tube on the Power Amp's 1" thick Marble base and a 12" X 18" X 5/8" piece of Granite on top of the inner tube.

I then coupled the Power Amp to the Granite slab with BDR Mk3 Cones and balanced it.

I then listened to the Musical performance of the rigidly coupled Power Amp after its base had been pneumatically decoupled.

Suprisingly enough the sound was somewhat similar to straight rigid coupling, but unfortunately the leading edges of notes had become dulled and the portrayal of venue ambience was stunted. Some of the inner detail had also dissapeared.

Sadly I removed the inner tube and left the Granite slab gravity coupled to the Marble pedistal.

I then listened to the Stereo system again with the Power Amp rigidly coupled as it originally was only coupled to the Granite slab. That great sound that I had worked so many years to get was baaaack!

I had hopes of this experiment working better, but there is just no predicting how Resonance Tuning is going to turn out until you apply it and field test it.

I am not dissapointed though because I plan on trying pneumatic decoupling on other pieces of equipment in my Audio system over the next few weeks.

I think that I'm going to have many hours of cheap entertainment with this project considering I only have $27.50 invested in it. And who knows, pneumatic decoupling may improve a weak link that now exists somewhere in the Resonance Tuning of the system that I'm not even aware of yet.

If I do find just 1 viable application the upgrade will be worth many times the money I have invested.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by rb » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:30 am

This is all very interesting.  Maxx do keep us up to date with your experiment.
rb
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Maxxwire » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:58 am

Thanks for your support Rick.

Over the last 6 years I have had hundereds of such failures in my Resonance Tuning experiment. The positive side of such a failure is learning that a particular application does not produce positive effects on that piece of equipment.

By eliminating enough ways that don't work eventually the one way that works best will be discovered.

There is a reason they call this method "Trial and error" and not "Trial and success"!

The benefits of successful Resonance Tuning escalate with the number of successful Resonance Modifications that have been made.

This week I experienced the most dramatic upgrade in Resolution and Transparency ever as a result of building upon the 120+ successfull upgrades I had already made.

The best part about Resonance Tuning is continually discovering new and astonishing levels of Realistic Musical Playback that you had no idea even existed before!

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by jttar » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:18 pm

Maxx,

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation of the inner tube experiment. I'm sorry to hear that it wasn't the success you hoped for. I think that I know you well enough to be assured that you tried different amounts of inflation of the tube giving it every chance possible.
I sincerely hope that you can find an application in your system in which the tube will work not because of the price of the tube and pump but because I think the concept has potential.
Again, thanks for being the fore runner and your always honest evaluation.

Joe (aka BeastMaster)
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Do It Yourself Home Theater