[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - Audio Airware

Advanced search
It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:41 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Audio Airware

Audio Airware

This forum is where you can give tips or talk about building your own stuff

Moderator: jttar

by Maxxwire » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:27 am

Introducing the Townshend Seismic Sink-

The Description

The Seismic Sink is an offshoot of the pneumatic suspension built into Austrailian designer Max Townshend's $4,800 Rock Reference Turntable.
The Seismic Sink is composed of a 1/8" thicksteel top plate. It is dampend with a sheet of EAR Isodamp which is a visacelastic constrained-layer material sandwitched between the top plate and the isolator section.

Using a constrained damping assembly adds some mass while both partially attentuating the metal top plate's resonance and those vibrations originating above the isolators-ie. from the component and acoustic coupling.The upper plinth is decoupled from and floats above the base which is made from steel and MDF.

The base houses the decuopling air bladder. There is a filling valve on the rear for adding air with the hand pump or or subtracting air as need.

The Seismic Sink measures 17" X 14" X 2", weighs 21 lbs, will support equipment weighing up to 35 lbs and has a verticle Resonant frequency of 1 hz.

The Installation

Since BDR Cones work best when coupling Audio equipment to the Seismic Sink I simply removed the Granite Energy Sink that I was using and replaced it with the Seismic Sink and coupled my Counterpoint Hybrid Tube Preamp to it with the #3 BDR Cones.

At first the Siesmic Sink had too little air in it and it sounded worse than with the Granite Sink, but after a few pumps of air I began do hear why this type of pneumatic device worked so well on a $4,800 Turntable.

After properly adjusting the air pressure and the weight of the Preamp I did some serious listening.

Listening Impressions

The first thing I noticed was that the Attack Transients had become very clear and focused with a heightnening of their detailing which had also taken on a silky smoothness.

When using the properly pumped Seismic Sink the Attack Ambients took on a liveliness the likes of which I have never heard before in recorded Music as they blossomed and bloomed freely for the first time in my Audio system.

The biggest change by far though was in the Decay Envelopes! I've heard many people say that Recorded Music can't sound as good as Live Music, well now I have positive proof that they are dead wrong!

The Decay Envelopes in the Music since installing the Seismic Sink now linger naturally exactly the way they would in a Live Performance! When I first heard this I sat there with my jaw in my lap as I played CD after CD and it was the same on every recording!

The Attack Ambients and Decay Envelopes had been freed of the consrtaints that they had been operating under which were Resonance induced and the installation of the Seismic Sink now gave the Music the feeling of being as alive as they were in the venue where they were originally recorded!  

DIY Applications

The reason that I put this post here in the DIY section is that a DIY version of the Seismic Sink can easily and cheaply be made since the air bladder is a simple rubber innertube.

In fact I'm considering turning the 18" X 12" Granite slab I was using under the Preamp and a 12" innertube into a simplified version of the Seismic Sink to use under my Tube Power Amp since a Seismic Sink large enough to support the Conrad-Johnson Power Amp would cost $565.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by jttar » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:50 pm

Maxx,

Thanks for sharing your experience with your new Townshend Seismic Sink. I especially appreciated the thorough description and your listening impressions. It really does sound like an impressive tweak. I only wish that we lived closer.

For the DIY Sink, will you place the inner tube on your rack with the 18" X 12" Granite slab on top of the tube and then your CJ amp on top of the granite using the BDR cones under it? Just trying to picture it in my minds eye.

Joe (aka BeastMaster)
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Maxxwire » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:44 pm

BeastMaster- I've tried decoupling with air bladders in the past without much success which may have been due to the fact that I did not couple the equipment to a rigid high mass platform supported by the air bladder, but rather simply placed the air bladder directly under the equipment.

This time I will try using the BDR #3 Cones to couple the Power Amp to a rigid high mass platform in the form of the Granite slab and then suspend it on a properly inflated innertube which will act as the air bladder.

I have eveything except for the 12" innertube so it shouldn't cost much to see if this set up is as effective as the Townshend Seismic Sink or not.

At the very least it will be worth the effort to save the $565 that the appropriate Heavy Duty Seismic Sink would cost to decouple the Power Amp.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by rb » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:25 am

Great review Maxx.  Sounds like it does the business.  Would it be possible to see photos of the inside.  It appears that the two sections just lift away from each other.  Is that correct?  What type of feet does it use?
rb
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Maxxwire » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:49 am

Rick- Every piece of Audio equipment that I have ever purchased had a set of screws that could be used to take it apart, but the Seismic Sink is quite different in that there is not one assembly screw visable on this piece.

Even the 4 feet which are made from hard rubber are riveted on which may be part of the mechanism that keeps the top of the Seismic Sink attached.

Believe me if I could have figured out a way to disassemble the Seismic Sink you would already have the pictures of its internal workings, but these Auzzies are very rescourcefull and when they don't want you to get into something you might as well consider it a sealed Mystery!

In my original post I included a description of the inner workings and materials components of the Seismic Sink taken directly from the Stereophile review which is the most comprehensive description of its inner workings that I have been able to locate and probably a better description of the materials involved than a set of pictures would reveal if I could manage to get it apart to take them.

One thing I do know and that is that using the Seismic Sink under my Preamp has brought a level of fidelity and resolution to my Audio system that I had no idea even existed
before.

The Seismic Sink has allowed the ambient qualities of the low level detail to manifest themselves in a way that makes the Music sound positively true to life!

By removing the last artifacts of Resonance induced Detail Smearing this air cushion has allowed all the recorded sounds of the Original Musical Event to blossom to life in a most realistic and absolutely convincing way!

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by mykyll2727 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:58 pm

Maxx_Great review. Thanks I'd never heard of it. Where can someone purchase one of these?_MMMike
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by jttar » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:38 pm

Maxx,

Just in case you haven't seen it, THIS is an article on your new Townshend Seismic Sink by Max Townshend of Townshend Audio.

Joe (aka BeastMaster)
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by jttar » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:45 pm

On 2006-04-13 20:58, mykyll2727 wrote:
Maxx_Great review. Thanks I'd never heard of it. Where can someone purchase one of these?_MMMike

MMMike,

I checked Best Buy and Circuit City but neither one carries them.

Of course, I'm kidding. Apparently, these platforms are very difficult to find here in the States. Townshend is a UK based company and I was unable to find any US dealers.

Joe (aka BeastMaster) 
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Maxxwire » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:53 pm

On 2006-04-13 20:58, mykyll2727 wrote:

MMMike- As Joe pointed out Townshend Audio is based in the UK and these are the only current prices I have been able to find. Remember the prices listed are in English Pounds.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by mykyll2727 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:41 am

Maxx_Thanks for the link. WOW!!! That stand sure is something. The design of the Seismic sink has encouraged me to try a DIY platform idea I've been considering for some time. I have some Sorbothane sheets on the way so now I'll give it a try._MMMike
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

Next

Return to Do It Yourself Home Theater