[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - Ferrite Core Cord Noise Suppressor on AC cables.

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:18 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Ferrite Core Cord Noise Suppressor on AC cables.

Ferrite Core Cord Noise Suppressor on AC cables.

This forum is where you can give tips or talk about building your own stuff

Moderator: jttar

by mykyll2727 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:52 am

On 2006-05-31 00:55, Maxxwire wrote:

On 2006-05-30 15:33, mykyll2727 wrote: Maybe I don't qualify as a true audiophile because I own two but there's one thing about MMM that I'm sure of, that girl can sing.

MMMike- Webster's one and only definition of an Audiophile is a devotee of high fidelity sound reproduction. Nuf' said! You fit the description and by a jury of your piers you have been found guilty of being an Audiophle and a Total Tweaker!

Maxx_Thanks for the praise and the vote of confidence my friend. You have no idea what it means to me coming from you.

Rb is right that being an Audiophile is in the attitude not the kind of equipment you're using.

In fact my greatest accomplishment so far was taking a Sony Megachanger which everyone said would never sound good and transform it into a true High Fidelity performer.

Anyone can take expensive Audio equipment and make it sound good, but it takes a devoted Audiophile to make an inexpensive Player sing like an Angel.

That's one of the reasons I'm so looking forward to my DIY mods on my K90EDs. They already sound great, but to take them to another level would bring me such satisfaction. To take a $99.99 speaker and turn it into an "audiophile" level speaker powered by my Sony receiver would give a sense of vindication/validation I can't begin to explain._MMMike

mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by Maxxwire » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:33 am

On 2006-06-02 12:52, mykyll2727 wrote: That's one of the reasons I'm so looking forward to my DIY mods on my K90EDs. They already sound great, but to take them to another level would bring me such satisfaction. To take a $99.99 speaker and turn it into an "audiophile" level speaker powered by my Sony receiver would give a sense of vindication/validation I can't begin to explain._MMMike

MMMike- 40 years of building and setting up Audio equipment has convinced me that Room Acoustics and Set Up account for fully 1/2 of the sound quality of an Audio system.

This leaves you with plenty of opportunity to improve your SS K90ED speakers far beyond their stock performace levels.

I've heard the SS M9ED's in a poorly tuned room and they didn't have a chance sonically even with the TA N-1 driving them!

Go out into some of the High End Audio showrooms there in Las Vegas some time with some of your Reference discs and you'll see what I mean! I'll bet you'll discover that you are a lot farther along with your SS K90ED's than you thought you were.

You do have to be careful though if it turns out that your SS K90ED speakers sound better than the High End offerings you encounter that you continue their upgrade path to reach their full potential and not stop your work simply because they sound superior.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by dontsleep33 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:54 pm

Two days ago I modified my DIY 12 and 14 gauge power cords again.I slipped two 1" long ferrite cores over the cords I put on my TA-N55ES Power amp and Sony DVP-NS710H DVD player.They now push out a clarity in sound that even the daytime background noise can't interfere with.When it's 3am and quiet lookout!It's a trip to another realm!
These are not small cheap snap on types but rather solid cores I took out of an old computer monitor cord.They are big and thick and they work great!
dontsleep33
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:09 pm

dontsleep- I used to use the gigantic Versalab Red Rollers solid Iron Ferrites which are widely considered the king of ferrite filters on my power cords. This used set is now for sale at Audiogon for almost 70% off. These are genuine Iron Ferrites not the ceramic ones commonly seen used on power cords. You can even 'lap' smaller power cords through the Red Rollers multiple times to obtain several times the Iron Ferrite filtering effect!

Another Versalab product that I use every day which actually makes the picture on my Sony Bravia visibly much sharper when it is used and slightly fuzzy looking by comparison when it is not plugged directly into the monitor with the power cord plugged into it is the Versalab Wood Block which is a 40 Khz - 200 Mhz active RFI Filter...

At one time I used 3 Versalab Wood Blocks in my Audio System, but they were replaced by the Brick Wall Series Surge Protector which as even wider band filtering at 5 Khz - 300 Mhz and filters the AC power to every piece of equipment on a global level which greatly enhances the sound quality and performance of the entire Audio System simultaneously.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by dontsleep33 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:15 pm

So the Brickwall winds up protecting and filtering better than separate solutions.Series mode surge protection is no joke and neither is that kind of noise suppression!
I'm gonna have to just get 3 of them because od the locations of my equipment lol!It does everything I need here in my house.Ok that's it! she's next on my list no matter what!
dontsleep33
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:57 pm

On 2010-12-17 22:15, dontsleep33 wrote:
So the Brickwall winds up protecting and filtering better than separate solutions.Series mode surge protection is no joke and neither is that kind of noise suppression!Ok that's it! she's next on my list no matter what!

It is said that a wise man learns from his mistakes, but an even wiser man learns from the mistakes of others. I spent plenty of time and money trying to filter to filter individual pieces of Audio and Video equipment but when I installed the Brick Wall Induction Filter it immediately provided not only an extremely high level of surge protection, but also significant levels broad band filtering for every piece of my A/V equipment plus the computer and its peripherals and remains the only surge protector I have ever used that noticeably improved the sound quality of my Audio System.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by dontsleep33 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:57 pm

I just put onother right where the power cord enters on my AOC 24"LED HDTV that I've been using as a monitor for my computer because sometimes I could see some very slight wavey movements on a blank light blue screen.Now it is gone.All I can say is wow! I must really have some emi/rfi problems close to it because it is so sharp now it's like a new monitor really.connected via HDMI from my Nvidia 8400GS video card it is now such a pleasure I feel like I got a gift.All from one core around the power cord right behind the screen where it enters the tv.I was able to do this because I have changed the stock molded plug on it as well of course..
These things really work!
dontsleep33
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:28 pm

On 2010-12-19 21:57, dontsleep33 wrote:
I must really have some emi/rfi problems close to it because it is so sharp now it's like a new monitor really.connected via HDMI from my Nvidia 8400GS video card it is now such a pleasure I feel like I got a gift.All from one core around the power cord right behind the screen where it enters the tv.I was able to do this because I have changed the stock molded plug on it as well of course..
These things really work!

Yes they really do work! I bought my last piece of Audio equipment almost 6 years ago and I've been living off of the amazing improvements that these 'gifts' have brought ever since!

I've never posted this picture of the circuitry of my PS Audio Extension Link which they sold to accompany their $5,000 AC Power Regenerators before, but I'll give you this peek inside. There are 4 Hubbell 8300IG phosphor bronze duplex outlets in the unit with the EMI Filter which the arrow indicates filtering power to the 2 duplexes on the right. The other 2 duplexes being unfiltered.

I had a problem separating the equipment in the Digital front end from the Analog Preamp which was picking up large amounts of EMI related distortion when plugged into a star wired power strip even when it had its own duplex to use.

The Extension Link was the answer to this problem because now I can use it to filter the Digital Hash out of the supply of power and the Analog Preamp now sounds crystal clear and free of the distortion that EMI can induce.

What this shows is that there can be large amounts of EMI distortion created within the System by Digital equipment which can negatively effect the rest of the equipment. There are many ways of filtering it out and after being convinced that EMI was a problem by plugging a piece if Analog equipment into the same duplex with a piece of Digital equipment and being able to clearly hear the result I was fortunate enough to come up with this very effective solution of EMI filtering at the source.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by dontsleep33 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:38 pm

Fantastic!You see all these improvements can be made by thinking.think about it and you will find what you need.Most people don't think for cryin' out loud!Technology these days be it old or new is incredible and most people don't really know what's going on inside their equipment(nor might they care) and that's ok too but even most "audiophiles"or people who love their equipment don't know why or how these things work they just buy stuff because of a magazine or website says to.So a person could really go out and spend $25,000-$50,000 like you and I have seen and have a system that is not as good as one costing far far less because of simple factors involved like room treatment and good clean power etc...Just two things off the top of my head but there are so many more things that could and are being done to improve stock components that result in better sound and video.
Similar to the Ford Mustang owner who makes the most out of it's performance ability by tweaking and taking care of it and beats the stock Ferarri at a redlight stop drag race!
Same stuff Thanks for the pic Maxxx.
dontsleep33
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:59 pm

dontsleeep- You're right, EMI, RFI and weak links effect the performance of AV equipment of all pricepoints. Simply going through and replacing low conductance nickel and brass connectors connectors, AC plugs and Outlets along with effective EMI/RFI  filtering and line conditioning can turn a $600 Sony Receiver like my 1999 DB 930 into a Copper Cobra that sounds better than any $100,000+ Audiophile System that I've ever heard in which these relatively inexpensive upgrades were not attended to...

~Maxx~

Explore The New Sony MaxxPix

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

PreviousNext

Return to Do It Yourself Home Theater