[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - Ferrite Core Cord Noise Suppressor on AC cables.

Advanced search
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:19 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Ferrite Core Cord Noise Suppressor on AC cables.

Ferrite Core Cord Noise Suppressor on AC cables.

This forum is where you can give tips or talk about building your own stuff

Moderator: jttar

by rb » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:00 am

A simple and effective way to help eliminate noise on an AC line is to use ferrite core clamps.  I use them on all of my AC cords by installing one on the end of the cord nearest to the components AC oulet.  I also install them internally in my components on the section of the AC lines right next to the power supply curcuit board.

I've noticed that Sony uses them on the digital receivers on the AC cord.  They used three of them inside my TA-E9000ES pre/pro. 

They really are efffective at reducing noise and making the back ground blacker.  And they are cheap to buy.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&Webpage_ID=3&DID=7&CAT_ID=41&ObjectGroup_ID=301&SO=2
rb
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Maxxwire » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:06 pm

In case anyone didn't know when the AC Current passes thru a Ferrite Bead the RF frequencies are converted into small amounts of heat and dissapated.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by jttar » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:53 pm

This type of RF filter is used in the computer world also. There is one on my Samsung LCD monitor power cord and also one on the cord of my Altec Lansing speakers. Obviously, these major companies believe in them too.

Joe (aka BeastMaster)
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by rb » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:05 pm

I first heard of them many many years ago.  I believe it was in Stereophile where I became aware of them.  Even companies like Audioquest sold them.  TDK was another popular brand.
rb
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Maxxwire » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:23 pm

I used to use those red colored Audioquest clamp on ferrite beads which are made with ceramic ferrite until I moved up to Red Rollers which contain 10 oz of iron ferrite. Now that's a ferrite bead indeed!

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Toli » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:41 pm

rb/Maxxwire,

As you two probably know, I have been upgrading/replacing the Monster cables that I currently have. As I was looking at cables and reading on different websites of the cabling I was looking at, I found some information related to the topic of ferrite when used in power cord design, on LAT 's website and I then recalled this thread. I thought that you two, along with others would find the following reading interesting.

"A note of interest; some power cord manufacturers use ferrite in their cords. We have experimented with ferrite in power cord design. We have found that while it reduces line noise, it has a bad side effect of constricting the dynamics of the system. This we found to be true no matter how the ferrite was used – whether it was with one ferrite donut on the cable or with several placed along the length of the cable. Also too, the practice of impregnating the cable with ferrite granules or powder throughout its entire length does not improve the situation. We found it still produces the same bad effect. It is typical in power cord design that if you develop a very complex design it often causes performance trade-offs; some good things happen but also some bad things happen. That is why our philosophy is to keep the designs relatively simple, but with good and sound engineering practices."

Toli
Toli
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Maxxwire » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:28 pm

I know people who refuse to have any other than PS Audio Power Cords with their ferrite impregnated jackets throught their high end Audio system.

This is not the same application as placement of simple ferrite beads that the LAT engineers tested because this is application involves appying the effects of ferrite to the entire length of the power cord.

PS Audio is renown the world over for having developed some of the very most effective clean power regeration equipment available and these are the power cords that they developed to be used with that innovative equipment.

~Maxx~

A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

One Half of My A/V System

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Toli » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:51 am

On 2006-04-21 23:28, Maxxwire wrote:

This is not the same application as placement of simple ferrite beads that the LAT engineers tested because this is application involves appying the effects of ferrite to the entire length of the power cord.

~Maxx~

A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

Maxxwire,

Thanks for helping to explain this, because I have never attached one of the ferrite beads to a power cord, and compared it to the same cord without the ferrite added. Unless of course it was already there. I am interested in learning more, which is why I have been paying attention to this thread. But it seems that LAT addressed using the ferrite throughout the entire cord as well. Is the quote below what you are referring to?

"Also too, the practice of impregnating the cable with ferrite granules or powder throughout its entire length does not improve the situation. We found it still produces the same bad effect"

Toli
Toli
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by jehill » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:54 am

On 2006-04-21 21:41, Toli wrote:
"A note of interest; some power cord manufacturers use ferrite in their cords. We have experimented with ferrite in power cord design. We have found that while it reduces line noise, it has a bad side effect of constricting the dynamics of the system. This we found to be true no matter how the ferrite was used – whether it was with one ferrite donut on the cable or with several placed along the length of the cable.  

The highlighted text tells me that the dynamics of the system is constricted even if a single ferrite bead is installed.  My guess is that the comment only applies to power amps.  It makes sense to me that the inductance introduced could conceivably reduce the line voltage on high level, high frequency peaks.  This is something to look for when comparing with and without ferrite bead performance.  The use and placement of ferrite beads is something that you have to experiment with.  What's important is whether or not the resultse please you.

I have seen them used in nuclear power plant's to control the effects of EMI in sensitive electronics.  Imagine tripping a plant due to EMI!  Its a costly proposition!  If one or more inexpensive ferrite beads can prevent a plant trip, I'd say that they are a good investment.

Good work Toli in finding this info!
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by Maxxwire » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:52 am

I have been using LAT power cords for 3 years and they work wonders in most applications, but in situations where equipment that is ultra sensitive to RFI contamination is being used I have found that multiple RFI network filtered power cords like Music Interface Technologies' and Transparent Audio's provide a much cleaner and more detailed sound than the non RFI filtered cord.

The converse is also true that the non filtered LAT power cord out performed the network filtered power cord in some amplification applications in my Audio system.

When discussing any type of RFI abatement we must realize that the results of its application will vary from system to system and will largely depend on the amount of RFI contamination in any particular geographic area.

I agree with John that the LAT Labs statement about the negative effects of ferrite probably applies to Power Amps that need unrestricted power availability for top performance on transient peaks.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

Next

Return to Do It Yourself Home Theater