[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Another major change to my system...

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:31 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Another major change to my system...

Another major change to my system...

Section where you can upload your Home Theater pictures and discuss them with other members.

Moderator: jttar

by Reinhart » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:07 am

Well, I ended up changing my system again.

I replaced my Sony PVM-2530 Trinitron monitor with a Sharp Aquos LC-32SB24U LCD HDTV.

I would have preferred a Sony Bravia with 1080P but the Sharp was basically a deal I couldn't let go once opportunities had presented themselves towards getting it.

I was given the Sharp for free.  It was non-functional.

What was going on was that the TV was going into protection.  Turned out three of the CCFL backlight tubes had failed.  The edges of the bad tubes were cracked.  On top of that, the screen had noticeable scratches on it.

I fixed the TV by obtaining a replacement panel assembly for $80 plus the factory original remote for $20.

Perhaps in the near or far future, I will obtain a Sony Bravia HDTV, but until that time at least I can enjoy my XBox 360 and PS-3 as well as Blu-Ray Disc movies in high definition.

And, I added another video game console to my system:

I added an Atari 7800 ProSystem that I fitted with a composite video modification.

Still have to get component video cables for my Nintendo Wii, regular XBox and PS-2, but it's coming along.
Reinhart
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by NiteHawk » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:50 am

Nice.  15" ported base-reflex woofers, with horn mid-range and tweeter drivers.  Bet you can make alot of noise with that setup.  
NiteHawk
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by jttar » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:17 pm

Hello Reinhart.

Thank you for sharing your updates with us. Your system looks great and I'm sure sounds even better. Your stands look packed but I didn't see your Teac X-20R.

Nice job in turning a "junk" Sharp Aquos into your display for only a hundred bucks including remote. 

Joe 
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Skytrooper » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:23 pm

Wow Reinhart, thats quite a collection of everything.

I admire your drive of buying & repairing what you can afford.

Keep on truckin.
Skytrooper
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by mykyll2727 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:24 pm

On 2011-08-24 22:23, Skytrooper wrote:

Keep on truckin.

Ditto for me!!_mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by Reinhart » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:12 pm

On 2011-08-24 22:23, Skytrooper wrote:

Keep on truckin.

Thanks.

A lot of the stuff here has taken years of accumulation to acquire and I had started when I was a teenager; very few items were purchased new.

I had acquired and let go many things, so I'll just mention what I have now.

So far, the only things that I have that were originally bought new have been the regular PlayStation back in the mid 1990s, the PlayStation 2 in the early 2000s, the Nintendo Wii in the late 2000s, and my four KLH-900B three way bookshelf speakers for surrounds.

Everything else was acquired used or broken.

The item I paid the most for is my Sony SL-HF750 ($695), which I got as a reconditioned unit from MrBetamax.com by both trading in a couple of non-working Beta decks (a bad SL-HF2000 and a bad SL-HF900) and paying the difference with cash (I was able to raise up money by selling a few things I didn't need on eBay, including a pair of KRK 7000B studio monitor speakers and a Teac A-3440 quarter track 1/4" open reel tape deck).

The item where I performed the most work in getting back into order would have to be my Sony SLV-R1000 Super VHS VCR (replacing bad capacitors, mechanical repairs, tape path adjustments).

This is followed closely by a PAC-S10 Sega module (complete recapping) for my Pioneer CLD-A100 LaserActive LD player (internal cleaning, fixed spindle slip problem, replaced belt).

Then there's the Teac X-20R open reel deck (replaced capstan belt, replaced capstan motor, fixed auto reverse triggering problem, cleaned potentiometers).

Then there's the Sharp Aquos LC-32SB24U LCD HDTV (replacement LCD panel, swapping CCFL fluorescent tubes, firmware update).

Then there's the Pioneer LD-660 gas tube LD player (converted multi-voltage power supply into single voltage; multi-voltage transformer went bad).

Then there's the first generation Sega Genesis (added s-video output).

Then there's the Atari 7800 ProSystem (added composite output).

Then there's the Philips CDI-220 (modified timekeeper chip, adding CR2032 battery holder and battery to replace dead integrated battery to restore save game ability and also replaced a belt).

Then there's the Nintendo Entertainment System (replaced bad capacitor in A/V and RF output module to fix video quality problem, replaced 72-pin connector, disabled 10NES lockout chip to stop it from blinking).

Then there's the Atari Jaguar (faulty DC/DC converter chip in power circuit).

Then there's the regular XBox (replaced super capacitor used to sustain clock and cleaned up leaked electrolyte, also patched a severed circuit trace which caused the power button to not function).

Then there's the RCA SGT-250 CED VideoDisc player (replaced belts, replaced stylus cartridge, replaced faulty microprocessor sourced from a parts unit, replaced faulty stereo output board with a working one from CEDAtum.net).

Then there's the Sony TC-K707ES 3 head cassette deck (replaced belts).

Then there's the Optimus Mach Three (reflow solder in crossover boards, refoamed woofers).

Then there's the Sega Dreamcast (replaced integrated rechargeable battery used to sustain clock).

Then there's the first generation Sega CD (replaced belt, also reworked ribbon cable connecting the optical pickup to the electronics to resolve a problem due to a broken trace).

Then there's the Sony CDP-X229ES CD player (replaced bad capacitor that was used to sustain memory).

Then there's the PlayStation 3 (teardown and cleanup; inside was VERY dusty).

Then there's the PlayStation (replaced disc drive traverse assembly).

Then there's the PlayStation 2 (teardown and cleanup, also rebuilt DVD-ROM drive).

Then there's the Pioneer CLD-79 ELITE LD player (cleaned out, repaired spindle slip problem and replaced belt).

My Nintendo GameCube and Sony STR-DA4ES are unique stories.

I traded a spare VCR for a broken GameCube with a friend.  Called Nintendo and they honored a warranty exchange, even though the customer service rep knew the unit was out of warranty.

The STR-DA4ES was bought used in 2004 but developed a fault in the power amplifier board within a couple of months.  Even though I was not the original purchaser, Sony honored the 5 year ES warranty anyways and repaired the receiver.

One thing I need to save up money for is towards getting a factory original replacement stylus cartridge for my Ortofon VMS-20 pickup that's installed on my Sony PS-X600 Biotracer turntable.  That, and REALLY save up for a PAC-N10 module so I can enjoy TurboGrafx-16 and Turbo CD games on my Pioneer CLD-A100.

Reinhart
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by Reinhart » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:32 pm

On 2011-08-24 22:17, jttar wrote:
Hello Reinhart.

Thank you for sharing your updates with us. Your system looks great and I'm sure sounds even better. Your stands look packed but I didn't see your Teac X-20R.

Nice job in turning a "junk" Sharp Aquos into your display for only a hundred bucks including remote.

Joe <FONT size=3> </FONT>

The Teac is still there. It just wasn't in the picture.

Would love to get my hands on an Akai 747, though.
Reinhart
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

Return to Home Theater Gallery