[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Craig's Home Theater

Advanced search
It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:37 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Craig's Home Theater

Craig's Home Theater

Section where you can upload your Home Theater pictures and discuss them with other members.

Moderator: jttar

by craigmclellan89 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:29 am

This is my most recent, present and most importantly, best setup I’ve had so far. It is also the only setup worth posting on this website compared to what I’ve run in previous times! :D

I’m 20 and born and live in England. I’ve been brought up in the era of multichannel, which brings in the difficulty of trying to get a decent 2 channel system as well.

Like most people, started with a stereo VCR hooked up to a mini hifi system and was quite taken with that. Then bought my first DVD player; a Samsung DVD-511. Had this with a pro logic mini system. Various Pro Logic amplifiers and receivers followed until I got a Pioneer all in one system which had Dolby Digital and DTS on board. Then I replaced all that with a Technics DVD-A10 bought off eBay for £35, hooked into a Sony STR-DB780QS receiver. Then added B&W DM 601S3s. The DVD and Amp are now downstairs on my parents system.

I am a firm lover of the vinyl format too, so for this I have a Technics SL-DL1 linear tracking record player which is sitting above my AR Status 30 subwoofer, perfect, solid wooden bass for the TT to sit on.

Centre speaker is a B&W CC6, rears are B&W DM601S3 and rear centre is a Wharfedale Diamond single.

If anyone is really interested, if you check http://www.avforums.com, my setup is explained in great detail from about 4 years ago, including one summer when I was 16 and bought a projector. Many memories are in my home cinema thread!

Anyway.

Last year a KDL40X2000 was advertised in the classifieds for £650.00. I arranged a deal with the seller to pay in instalments monthly and by Christmas, I was doing the 4 hour drive to Middlesbrough to collect it. Week later, added the BDP-S350 blu-ray player.

By January, the B&W DM602S3 speakers were starting to show the weakness in power of my DB780 amplifier. So I posted a wanted thread on AVForums for a VA555ES amplifier. Within an hour I was discussing a deal with a member who had one lying in his loft and agreed to pay £180.

In February, I went with my audiophile friend to an Audiojumble. Audiojumbles are something which we have twice a year here in Kent, a large hall is hired and it’s basically a big jumble sale for hifi and nothing else!

I knew in my head that I wanted ideally to get a dedicated CD spinner, rather than using the Technics DVD-A10. Within 10 minutes I spotted the CDP-337ESD. I knew NOTHING about it, other than I loved the look of it. Haggled and got it for £25.

The TA-N55ES was a bit of an impulse buy, having said that I’ve been after once since I saw it in a catalogue when I was 6 years old, some 14 years ago. I listened to one last year in a setup where it was being controlled by the TA-E1000ESD and other ES components. The owner had one spare but has never gotten back to me when it came to making a purchase of it! Saw it on eBay, got it for £265.

Cables are IXOS XHT-288 HDMIs, IXOS COAX digital between the HTPC and blu-ray. QED one interconnect between the VA555ES and TA-N55ES, Van Damme interconnect between the VA555ES and CDP-337ESD, finally, Russ Andrews Kimber 8TC Kable going to my B&W DM602S3 speakers.

Absolute bliss for me.

-----------------
My room:

Sony KDL40X2000, Sony BDPS350,
Sony VA555ES, Sony CDP-337ES, Sony SVR-S500 Freeview PVR.
B&W DM602S3 Main, B&W DM601S3 Rear, B&W CC6, Acoustic Research Status 30 Sub

Downstairs:

Sony 36" CRT, Technics DVD-A10, Sony STR-DB780QS with El

craigmclellan89
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by jttar » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:19 pm

Craig,

Good to hear that someone your age is so into Home Theater and also vinyl stereo listening.

You have a very impressive system and I would bet it sounds as good as it looks.

Thank you for taking the time to take the photos and sharing them with us.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by frahengeo » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:36 am

System looks great.  Your TA-N55ES should last a long time.  I've had mine since 1990 and it still works great.  Didn't like the wood side panels??
frahengeo
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by craigmclellan89 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:17 pm

Thank you for your responses

Funny you should mention the side panels. I do actually like them very much indeed, but as it happens they weren't included with the sale.

I'm not certain of this, but I don't think the ES gear sold in England was available with the wooden sides.

Wouldn't mind getting them for my CD player too which is from the same era to be honest!
craigmclellan89
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by frahengeo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:59 am

Its interesting about Sony's perception regarding the peoples likes and dislikes of AV cosmetics.  Here in North America (US & Canada) and Japan, they've opted to install wood panels when available.  Also, Sony would typically place the "ES" gold emblem on North American models, but not on the Japanese ones and apparently, neither on the British models.

Since you seem to be an ES fan, so you've probably been to the vintageknob website, maybe?

Regardless, have fun with your system.
frahengeo
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by craigmclellan89 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:15 am

I've always wished my seperates had the gold ES emblem on them - but hey ho!

Indeed I have mate. If you check out the TA-N55ES page on there, there are two "More" links at the bottom, if you click the second one a wicked setup will show where the owner has 10 TA-N55ES' setup. I bought my one off him.

Indeed I shall!!
craigmclellan89
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by frahengeo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:02 pm

On 2009-07-08 13:15, craigmclellan89 wrote:
I've always wished my seperates had the gold ES emblem on them - but hey ho!

Indeed I have mate. If you check out the TA-N55ES page on there, there are two "More" links at the bottom, if you click the second one a wicked setup will show where the owner has 10 TA-N55ES' setup. I bought my one off him.

Indeed I shall!!

Here is my ES gear that I purchased in the 90's.  Recently built this cabinet from plywood and installed a door on the backside for access to wiring (its all in a closet).  The TA-N55ES (bottom of the stack) is currently not in use, but I will find a way to utilize it.  From the top:  TA-N90ES, Panamax surge protector, TA-E90ES, CDP-X55ES, 333ESXII, TC-K850ES, CDP-X77ES, MDS-J20ES, and finally TA-N55ES

frahengeo
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by craigmclellan89 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:28 pm

That looks beautiful mate
craigmclellan89
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by gurjo09 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:20 pm

goddamn i wish i had one like that. looks brilliant.
gurjo09
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by gurjo09 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:20 pm

goddamn i wish i had one like that. looks brilliant.
gurjo09
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

Next

Return to Home Theater Gallery