[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - New Sony DVD Player

Advanced search
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:24 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - New Sony DVD Player

New Sony DVD Player

Section where you can upload your Home Theater pictures and discuss them with other members.

Moderator: jttar

by SergeantYnot » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:21 pm

So my parent's old cheapo Nexxtech DVD player broke in their kitchen, which was being used with a REALLY old TV/VCR combo.  So what did I recommend as a replacement?  The Sony DVP-SR200P!  It's of course Sony's entry-level DVD player, but will serve them well.  The only negative thing I have to say about the unit is the included remote.  This has got to be the only remote control I have ever seen that DOES NOT have an "Open/Close" button.  Try and find it.

P.S.  I took the pictures using my mom's Sony DSC-P32 digital camera.  For a 7 year-old camera, it sure takes fine pics!

SergeantYnot
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by NiteHawk » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:05 pm

Cost cutting measure no doubt on a lower end product.  They figured you will have to walk over and insert/remove the CD/DVD anyway, might as well press the open/close button while your are there.
NiteHawk
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by SergeantYnot » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:00 pm

It's still just weird that this Sony remote doesn't have it by default.  I have 3 other Sony DVD remotes (1 of them being for my PS2), and they all have the Open/Close button.  Still very strange that the cheapo Nexxtech and ESA models my parents have also have this feature.  It's similar to a Uniden cordless phone I auditioned that had no Mute button.
SergeantYnot
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by claudio » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:15 pm

I can kinda of see why they don't have it. Like Nitehawk said, they are going to walk over there anyway to insert/remove the dvd. I think I always click on the open/close from the dvd player. I know some auto close if nothing is done within a certain amount of time.

But they should have that feature available on all remotes.
Founder
Agoraquest
claudio
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by jttar » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:04 pm

That is the first time I have every seen the lack of an open/close button on any DVD player. Even the cheapest Apex, Colby or RCA (all under $30 USD) have "eject" buttons.

I agree with SergeantYnot, VERY strange. My ritual is to hit the open/close button on my way to load the DVD so that the drawer is open when I get to the player. Not that pressing the button on the player is that much work but Sony could have skipped the "Picture NAV" button and included the more used "Open/Close" button in it's place. Makes no sense to me.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by SergeantYnot » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:44 pm

Now that I think about it, I always use the eject button on the remote.  Either when I'm on my way to the player to first load the movie, or to swap discs out.  It saves about 4-5 seconds of wait time, which could've been used to load the disc.  I suppose you only need an eject feature, and then use the Play button to load the disc tray.
SergeantYnot
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by robmlisanti » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:43 am

On 2009-03-17 23:44, SergeantYnot wrote:
Now that I think about it, I always use the eject button on the remote.  Either when I'm on my way to the player to first load the movie, or to swap discs out.  It saves about 4-5 seconds of wait time, which could've been used to load the disc.  I suppose you only need an eject feature, and then use the Play button to load the disc tray.

I have this feature on my DVP-NS700, but really don't use it because I have a glass door on my wall unit and I'm always afraid it's going to hit it when I hit Open ! so I end up getting up and manually taking the disc out .

robmlisanti
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by SergeantYnot » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:16 am

On 2009-03-26 14:43, robmlisanti wrote:

I have this feature on my DVP-NS700, but really don't use it because I have a glass door on my wall unit and I'm always afraid it's going to hit it when I hit Open ! so I end up getting up and manually taking the disc out .

I know what you mean; at my girlfriend's house, depending on how close the player is to the glass door, it will either: tap the door open, or if the door is magnetically closed, the tray will forcefully close back in.  Luckily I don't have to worry about this!

SergeantYnot
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by robmlisanti » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:26 am

On 2009-03-26 15:16, SergeantYnot wrote:

On 2009-03-26 14:43, robmlisanti wrote:

I know what you mean; at my girlfriend's house, depending on how close the player is to the glass door, it will either: tap the door open, or if the door is magnetically closed, the tray will forcefully close back in.  Luckily I don't have to worry about this!

I'm very happy with my DVD player though, the upconverter is awesome!

robmlisanti
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by SergeantYnot » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:29 am

For anyone that doesn't see the use of the Open/Close button on their remote, I'd like to pose this scenario.  Purely theoretical, but what would you do if the button broke on your player, and your remote was the same model of mine?  All Sony units are warranted for only a year, so a malfunction of this nature would most likely happen beyond that timeframe.  Your only options would be to purchase a universal remote to incorporate this function, or go to Sony's PartSearch site and order a Sony universal; or pay the ridiculous Sony repair fee, which usually costs more than the product itself.  Considering the investment of $100 for a decent pre-programmed/learning remote, I'd very much say it would be in the consumer's interest to have this feature.
SergeantYnot
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

Return to Home Theater Gallery