[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Cousin's Home Theatre

Advanced search
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:14 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Cousin's Home Theatre

Cousin's Home Theatre

Section where you can upload your Home Theater pictures and discuss them with other members.

Moderator: jttar

by Cousin » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:21 pm

Thought I would share some photos of my Home Theatre. Just over a year in the making (I had to remove a wall between two rooms to create the space). A few finishing touches remain but it is finally fully armed and operational.

The first photo is of the rear A/V rack and wall mounted SS-LA500ED surround speakers. The A/V racks are recessed in the rear wall. The racks are 450mm deep but only 200mm is exposed at the front to reduce their intrusion on the room.

This photo is of the rear wall again from another angle. The A/V racks hold the STR-DA5300ES(S), PS3, VPL-HS60 projector and RDR-GX7 (old DVD player used for region 1 dvd viewing as the PS3 is unfortunatley not region free).

The front end. Left and Right LA-SS500ED speakers on FS-FV500 floor stands, a SS-LA505ED centre and a SA-WD200 Subwoofer all below a 3500mm wide screen area.

Another angle of the rear wall showing the A/V racks, the wall mounted SS-LA500's and the rear seating position.

The ultimate dream is to have a SS-LA505 complete front end with matching front left, right and dual centre speakers. This will drop the left and right channels down to the cabinet height and remove them from being slightly in the viewing position. I have wired the front end for an additional channel so may even just add another centre channel, That is if i can ever find another SS-LA505ED in orange ever again, let alone 3... Can't belive Sony discontinued this brilliant speaker...

Cousin
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by SergeantYnot » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:05 am

Nice setup!  You know what, it's not hard to believe Sony would discontinue a superb functioning electronic, especially speakers.  I wrote an article talking just about this very story.  Check it out
SergeantYnot
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by jehill » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:50 pm

If I ever replace my set of the same speakers, I'll let you know.  Check out my home theater system here.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by maverick11359 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:56 pm

G'day cousin,
             Very ,Very nice setup ,I have a home theatre room too, looks similar in dimensions to yours .I have a couple of ideas for you to think about .

Keep the PS3 for your games but replace the region 1 DVD player with a Sony BDPS550 blue ray player,go multichannel  analog for your uncompressed HD audio from the S550 to your STRDA5300ES(many believe it sounds better than HDMI,plus the 550 decode's everthing )....

Dual center speakers are a cool idea !!
        If you can ceiling mount the second center speaker above your screen it will give another dimension to your movies speach and if you like multichannel music I find it brings another elevation to imaging of singers voices.  

I love your colour scheme , I painted my ceiling midnight blue ( very dark black blue )and the walls burma bluff brown (light brown).

Mav'

maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Jmax25 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:40 pm

Very nice setup!! A testament to less is more. Had those speakers in black...should have kept them.
Jmax25
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by jttar » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:34 pm

Cousin,

Thank you for taking the time to take and posts the pictures of your gorgeous Home Theater.

It looks very well thought out and the room looks fantastic. I love the way you recessed the components into the rear wall---very cool! I also like the way you keep the room open and uncluttered with knick-knacks, pictures or posters, nothing to distract the eye from the main focus in the room, the BIG screen.

Nice job, thanks for sharing with us.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Cousin » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:00 am

Thank you for all the nice comments. It has taken me a long time to get this room operational and it makes me feel very proud to read your responses.

To SergeantYnot:
Thanks for the link to your speaker post. All very interesting. It's a small conselation to know I am not alone in the search for discontinued speakers. I guess half the fun now will be in the hunt...

To Jehill:
Thank you. Somehow i think it'll be a cold day down under before you ever let go of those gorgeous silver 500's. But thanks for the offer. Believe it or not, your post back in 2004 is what insipired me to look at the SS-LA500's as a speaker option. I really like the look of your setup and was the first time i had seen the floor stands in use. The silver version was never available in OZ (black, white, blue and orange only), nor was a complete 5.1 set. The 500's and 505 were only available as single seperates. You couldn't even buy them as a pair !!! AND they were $499 EACH !?!?! It's taken me a long time to collect the 6 I have so far picking them up here and there on auctions and in 2nd's stores. I even convinced one store to sell me the orange pair they had mounted on the rear wall in a home theatre display after they were discontinued (which gave me the idea to wall mount mine).

To Mav,
Thanks for your kind response. I personally like the idea of dual centre's and glad you don't think I am crazy. It's interesting you mention speakers up high as I am also tossing about the idea of having a pair of lefts and rights at high level and a set at low level with dual centre's creating a 6.1 front end. I still might do this as I have a couple more 500's I could mount high on the wall. I would have to reduce my screen size slightly to fit them in though which is a tough choice because I love the wall to wall screen and i'd have to bring my STRDB940 into the mix to run the additional channels above what the STR-DA5300 can pump out but still one of the things I do think about occasionally. Do you know if Does the BDPS550 has region free dvd playback. That is the only reason I actually need the dvd player - to play my overseas discs. I can see your point about the connection options but to be honest I am really happy with the PS3 as a blu ray player, I only own one game and only use it as a bluray player & Media server. I just wish it was in more of a AV component looking case so it matched in more with the other gear. I don't know why Sony doesn't release a PS3 as a HT option and package it in a standard component shape case with a remote instead of a controller. They could market it as a blu ray that also plays games as opposed to a game system that also plays bluray. Anyway I won't rant on here...

To Jmax25,
Thanks. Less is always more in my book.

To Jtter,
Thank you for your kind words. Recessing the A/V racks in the wall was hard work but worth every bit. I am really happy with how unintrusive (is that even a word?) the units are in the room. I really wanted the screen to be the focus of the room and glad you picked up on that. It is also the reason why I mounted the equipment in the rear wall so there was no distraction from the components display lights etc (Although I secretly love the sony blue glow).
Cousin
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by claudio » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:03 am

Very impressive. Looks like a home theater that was photographed from a Audio/Video magazine. I like the color theme as well and how you integrated the receiver and projector into the wall.
Founder
Agoraquest
claudio
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by jehill » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:31 pm

I purchased the AVD-LA2500PKG Digital Audio/Video Component System for $1949 back in 2002.  The package included the AVD-C70ES, the sub-woofer and the five speakers, less the stands, packaged separately, but in one large box.  The stands set me back $200 a pair.  I still have all of the boxes, including those for the stands.  My pet peeve is that the right front stand tilts to the side slightly.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by robmlisanti » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:46 am

On 2009-01-26 02:21, Cousin wrote:
Thought I would share some photos of my Home Theatre. Just over a year in the making (I had to remove a wall between two rooms to create the space). A few finishing touches remain but it is finally fully armed and operational.

The first photo is of the rear A/V rack and wall mounted SS-LA500ED surround speakers. The A/V racks are recessed in the rear wall. The racks are 450mm deep but only 200mm is exposed at the front to reduce their intrusion on the room.

This photo is of the rear wall again from another angle. The A/V racks hold the STR-DA5300ES(S), PS3, VPL-HS60 projector and RDR-GX7 (old DVD player used for region 1 dvd viewing as the PS3 is unfortunatley not region free).

The front end. Left and Right LA-SS500ED speakers on FS-FV500 floor stands, a SS-LA505ED centre and a SA-WD200 Subwoofer all below a 3500mm wide screen area.

Another angle of the rear wall showing the A/V racks, the wall mounted SS-LA500's and the rear seating position.

The ultimate dream is to have a SS-LA505 complete front end with matching front left, right and dual centre speakers. This will drop the left and right channels down to the cabinet height and remove them from being slightly in the viewing position. I have wired the front end for an additional channel so may even just add another centre channel, That is if i can ever find another SS-LA505ED in orange ever again, let alone 3... Can't belive Sony discontinued this brilliant speaker...

Nice set-up there!

robmlisanti
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

Next

Return to Home Theater Gallery