[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Shadow Lord's HT & A/V equipment Part Deux

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:08 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Shadow Lord's HT & A/V equipment Part Deux

Shadow Lord's HT & A/V equipment Part Deux

Section where you can upload your Home Theater pictures and discuss them with other members.

Moderator: jttar

by ShadowLord » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:07 am

Helo Everyone,

As some of you know I am a big fan of Sony (speically some of the older equipment) and HT in general. While I don't consider my self an "audiophile" I do believe in doing things right. If you looked at my old A/V HT thread it was pretty hum-drum... Nice looking equipment but no pizzaz... And many many issues...

Well, I am finally moving out to my new place and have started work on my new HT setup. This is a definite step up from my old Ikea Tower however, it is not the culmination of my plans. That is yet to come... But this middle step is definetly a huge improvement.

I am going to try and chronicle what I am doing in the next few posts. However, please note I was not an English major, nor is prose my forte. I appologize early on if the story is disjointed and hard to follow. AS lway forgive the grammer and remember SDK (spelling dont kount) :-).

The new place is an original 1950s masterpiece: it has all the design, wiring, and power supply of that era.

I.E. It all has to go...
The new AV setup unfortunately does not get its own dedicate HT room (that would be the next iteration) but will be setup in the living room which is a 14'x24' long room. On one end there is a wall ~9'x8.5'.

Behind this wall is a hall closet that housed the original 1950s heater (no central A/C mind you...)

My original plan was to setup a number of BDI Icon HT racks to house my equipment. I was planning on using the two Icon 9422 and one 9428. As some of you know I have a great number of components. Some see daily use, others occasional. But all are mint condition, the pinacle of their breed (i.e. a DTC-2000ES for my DAT), and deserving to be shown off. But no matter how hard I tried I could not get the racks, the center console, and my 703s to fit against the wall.

As luck would have it on inspection we found that the ducting system was also original on the house and contained asbestos. This presented an interesting opportunity: I had to replace all the ducts which meant the furnace had to be repalced and I could setup central A/C. It also meant the furnace could go in the attice and the hall closet could be made empty....

So I got to work and sketched out a design that could house my 17 components, 703s, HTM3S and a 55" TV in the same spot. After many many design iterations I was finalyl able to come up with a design that worked technically and pleased the Mrs.

And so began the work:

We remove the old heater and ducting and knocked out the wall. You can see the old gas line for the heater and a std 110V 2 socket access hanging out  in the middle. You can also see the air intake to the crawl space for the old heater... Super healthy!

This took about a day and a half tomorrow the crew will begin the process of creating the alcove and hopefully I can begin the electircal work. More to come...

ShadowLord
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by jehill » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:39 pm

It looks like your are going to have quite a setup.  Keep the pictures coming in!
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by jttar » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:27 pm

ShadowLord,

Thanks for giving us a look. This transformation that you are undertaking looks to be quite a project. I look forward to following your progress through your pictures and descriptions.

Again, thanks for taking the time to share your project with us.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by ShadowLord » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:40 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys. Sorry I have not posted in a bit but the remodeling is keepign me busy. The alcove and the wiring closet is pretty much done at this point (pictures coming soon). The electrical work should be done by Monday. I had a seperate 20A circuit drawn to the wiring closet. From there I had two  Isolated Ground Receptacles (IGR) placed. One in the wiring closet and one for the subwoofer out side.

The subwoofer receptacle will use a Cooper IGR receptacle will built in surge protection. I couldn't find an exact picture but here is something similiar:

There will also be a regular (non-IGR) 20A receptacle and two 14A rotating receptacles (for power bricks) in the wiring closet. The reason I did not have surge protection in the wiring closet is becasue I will be using a APC S20BLK power conditioner for the AV equipment.

I have five coax (RG6 Quad Shielded) lines coming into the closet: 2 DirecTV, 1 OTA, 1 FM, and 1 XM. A 300 OHM flat cable will connect to an AM antenna. There will also be RJ 11 for phone and a CAT 6 RJ45 (Plenium CL 2 rating) for wired 1Gbps netwrok access to the fileserver and home network. A Netgear GS108 switch will allow me to connect all the network capable components together (HTPC, PS3, STR-DA6400Es, TV, BluRay Player, and the APC S20BLK).

Finally I will have two gangplanks of 2x4 banana plug receptacles that will allow for biamping of the rear and side speakers. The wires will run under the house from the wiring closet to the speakers.

A coax line will also run from the wiring closet to the subwoofer using RCA compression ends. The plan is NO visible wires what so ever. So all the wires run in in the walls, attic, and crawl space. I am also making extensive use of keystone wall plates and inserts for custom panel work.

More pictures coming soon.
ShadowLord
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by jttar » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:42 pm

ShadowLord,

Thanks for taking a break in your remodeling project to give us an update.
It looks like you are being meticulous is pre-planning.

I am looking forward to those new pics coming soon.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by ShadowLord » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:38 am

Thanks for the kind words Joe.

As promised here are some more shots:

The first thing to do was to get the Alcove framed out and move the old heaters gas line:

Note the black pipe now running on the side.

Once that was done the old floor boards had to be replaced:

The wiring closet also provides a second "larger" access to the attic for work on the new central heater unit. So the roof had to be taken out:

Next we created the back wall of the alcove and then created a support frame in the roof area. This was to give strength and to allow us to put other things in the alcove roof. Also as a matter of cosmetics we wanted the alcove roof to be in line with the hallway roof.

The Alcove fully assembled:

The alcove will have a seperate lighting and ventilation unit ala two recessed lights and a fan:

They will be controlled via a Lutron Maestro IR Dimmer:

This will allow independent remote control of light levels and fan speed.

And a picture from the back side where the action will be:

Next comes wiring...

ShadowLord
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by ShadowLord » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:38 am

The wiring took much longer then expected. The electrician had told me he would have the whole house done in 2-3 days. We are now on day 7 and there maybe a day 8. However, there was alot of wiring and it needed to be done correctly. I am happy to say that he has done a great job.

First thing was to get power up to the heater unit in the attic and place a light in the wiring closet. The heater gets its own seperate 10A line. The light for the closet and the alcove plus the fan are fed off the gerneral house circuit so that the 20A AV line remains clean.

You can see the junction box for the 10A line on the back wall.

Next all the wires I alluded to before were drawn:

You can see the COAX lines, the CAT 6, and the box for the IGR 20A line. Things that are missing the DTV coax and the 300 Ohm wire.

The speaker wires are also drawn. However, those boxes are off to the side. Things left to do:

1. Finish the ceiling and attic access
2. Finish drywalling the wiring closet
3. Paint and carpet closet (need to be able to sit to run all the damn cables.

On the front:

We need to start making the shelves for the components. Then the alcove (and the rest of the room) needs to be painted. Some cosmetic touches (moldings, accents, etc..) and I think we will be ready to star placing the equipment.

ShadowLord
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by ShadowLord » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:39 am

Here is some wiring outside of the AV closet:

Subwoofer location:

That is a std. socket in there right now. It will be replaced w/ the blue Cooper IGR Surge Protected socket soon enough!

Speaker wires:

The wires will go straight up the pedestal/stands to the speakers!

ShadowLord
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by jttar » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:21 pm

ShadowLord,

It looks like things are coming along nicely and you are doing a magnificent job. The alcove looks great. It is always a good sign when the dry wall starts going up.

Love the new pictures and the progress you are making. Thank you for the update. Getting close now!

Joe

jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by ShadowLord » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:12 pm

jttar,

Thanks. The work continues and we actually have the plugs installed and the alcove painted. I have some new pictures that I hope to post over the weekend. I've begun cutting the shelf for the components. I went w/ MDF board from homedepot. I choose 5/8" thick boards for strength and looks. The hardest part is cominng up with the right brace/supports. The shelves each will be 22" deep to fit even the bigggest components (for me that would be the DVP-CX777ES) however I have not found any pre-made shelving that big. I am thinking of making some custom supports using 1" x 18" x 1/4" thick iron strips. These should be strong enough for the heavier componnents (TA-N90ES, TA-N9000ES, and the APC S20BLK). Hopefully, by mid-december the alcove will be up and we will be moved in.
ShadowLord
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

Next

Return to Home Theater Gallery